Sign in to follow this  
ced1106

Tiny Furniture's "Medieval Castle Toilets"

(Rough draft for an RPG.net review. More more Tiny Funiture reviews, see : https://www.rpg.net/reviews/search-review.phtml?productCompany=tiny+furniture&orderby=category&showinfo=publisher

Tiny Furniture's "Medieval Castle Toilets" is a three-piece resin miniatures set, consisting of a one-piece stone toilet, and a two-piece wooden toilet with a cover. (If you want a fancier chamberpot, look at the Noble's Bedroom.) Tiny Furniture miniatures have an incredible level of detail, and these miniatures are no exception. The wood has wood grain throughout, visible at at tabletop distance. The cover of the wood toilet fits just fine. You can distinguish the individual stones, as well as see the texture. You could also use the wood toilet as a small tub, but that might be a little gross. Although these are based on castle toilets, they can be used in any wooden structure, such as an inn, or stone one. The miniature comes in both an unpainted and painted version. Tiny Furniture also sells an outhouse.

Painting these miniatures are not difficult, and a beginning painter should have no problems painting these miniatures. The cover of the wooden toilet is attached to a sprue, but that's about it. Even a passing familiarity with painting wood, stone, and metal should be fine. You can pretty much paint the miniature with a colored primer, wash, then drybrushing the edges of the miniature. For the wood, I started by brushing on a brown colored primer, washing with brown Army Painter Soft Tone Ink, then lighty drybrushing the edges of the wood with a lighter color of brown. (Most drybrushing assumes painting the entire area of the miniature equally, but I think only doing the edges of the wood makes it easier to distinguish the miniature. IMO, You want to see the miniature, not texture.) Then I painted the metallic band around the miniature and washed it in brown. For the stone, I brushed on a gray colored primer, washed with Secret Weapon Miniatures Stone wash, then, again, lightly drybrushed the edges of the miniature lighter gray. (I highly recommend Secret Weapon Miniatures stone wash as a quick and easy way to paint stone without it looking as if you drybrushed it.) If you have them, you can wash washes the "hole" of the pit toilet with Secret Weapon Miniatures Sewer Water and/or Baby Poop washes (as well as resin water or other gunk), to make it subtly more disgusting.

If you want to add a dose of realism to your castle, inn, or even dungeon, pick up the Medieval Castle Toilets with your next Tiny Furniture order. 
You won't need to think (or flush) twice.

Medieval Castle Toilets
https://jamesmdeem.com/stories.castle.toilets.html

Toilets in a Medieval Castle. Stone toilet in the Tower of London.
https://www.ancient.eu/article/1239/toilets-in-a-medieval-castle/

Wooden Chamberpot: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Chamber_pot

DSC03659.JPG

DSC03665.JPG

DSC03666.JPG

DSC03679.JPG

DSC03706.JPG

DSC03708.JPG

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 15

A few things stood out in your text that you may want to change, one grammatical, one stylistic, and one simply an omission.

"Painting these miniatures (are) not difficult, and a beginning painter should have no problems painting these miniatures."   The "are" should be "is" as the actual subject of the sentence is "Painting."  

"If you have them, you can (wash washes x) the "hole" of the pit toilet with Secret Weapon Miniatures Sewer Water and/or Baby Poop washes (as well as resin water or other gunk), to make it subtly more disgusting."  Here you have what seems to be repetition though technically it's not.  Stylistically it sounds better to replace the first "wash" with something like "apply" or "dump" since the very next word is "washes."  

Then I think you left out the word "in" after "washes."  Take a look and see what you think.

Going back to the idea of avoiding repetition, we could consider "painting" in the first sentence I copied.  They're further apart so it is less noticeable, but you could change the second instance to "working with."  

...and by the way, are you sure the wooden one is a chamber pot?  I was thinking it was a bed for a baby with the lid for when it's crying.

• Like 1