Resin Printer Issues

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I'll start with what I woke up to this morning. Not so much a failure, I'm more baffled at how it, by some miracle, didn't fail. I apologize for the generally poor quality of the photos, this was all done shortly after getting out of bed this morning. The print came out mostly ok, it didn't fail, there's a small hole in the print proper in the first picture, and near the bottom there's the miss print caused by the support failures. Honestly though, the way the supports failed I'm surprised this came out at all. It doesn't appear to be distorted, but I also have tried assembling everything onto it yet. It will need some cleanup, but considering it's the base I can work with it. 

I suspect this was caused by FEP damage or other issues with the FEP. I may swap it out tonight if not tomorrow. I'll be using FEP from another pack I received yesterday from what I feel is a more reputable manufacturer. Hopefully that goes better.

IMG_20200925_062921_7.thumb.jpg.01dfce2cb51fd5c7a7e5c18ed67b7874.jpg

IMG_20200925_062931_5.thumb.jpg.27c4a09733a390924be9294675e0b93c.jpg

IMG_20200925_062947_6.thumb.jpg.714408dd7f2e8eecb46ca1168f2c30b4.jpg

• Like 2

You have some 'flakes' of rein stuck to the part and supports. That was either already halfway-hardened resin in the vat before the print was started, or it came loose during the beginning of the print. 

Dirty FEP, polluted or damaged LCD, poorly adjusted print platform, too short exposure or poorly mixed resin can cause such issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

You have some 'flakes' of rein stuck to the part and supports. That was either already halfway-hardened resin in the vat before the print was started, or it came loose during the beginning of the print. 

Dirty FEP, polluted or damaged LCD, poorly adjusted print platform, too short exposure or poorly mixed resin can cause such issues. 

I did run some tests on the LCD, it was also cleaned just before this print as well. No marks, flickering, or other issues that I could see. I also drained and filtered the resin just before as well, I didn't deep clean the vat though. I'll do a FEP replacement and re-level the build plate. Hopefully that clears it up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Illithar said:

I did run some tests on the LCD, it was also cleaned just before this print as well. No marks, flickering, or other issues that I could see. I also drained and filtered the resin just before as well, I didn't deep clean the vat though. I'll do a FEP replacement and re-level the build plate. Hopefully that clears it up.

I would clean first and then test before changing the FEP, it might not be necessary yet.

• Like 2

Alright, did some cleaning on Friday night using an all purpose cleaner. It's not the glass cleaner I was looking for, but it it did a good job. I fully cleaned the screen and the vat and I releveled the build plate as well. What ever it was, that seems to have cleared up most of the issues. I had several successful prints over the weekend, one outright failure but that was due to bad supports. It looks like I do have some dings and dents in the FEP, possibly with some resin imbedded in them. They have been responsible for a couple small holes in some bases I have printed. I can work around them, but I may look into swapping out the FEP in the near future.

• Like 5

So... just encountered something interesting. I've narrowed it down to it NOT being a file issue and NOT a slicer software issue. I was printing a couple of pre-supported files from Artisan Guild and had a file fail completely twice, seemingly right after printing the raft/platform. The first time was a 'well that's weird' moment. My first thought was a leveling issue, but the other piece on the plate printed perfectly. So, I cleaned out the vat and filtered the resin and tried again. I checked the print part way through, the other two things printed fine, but again that piece failed, looks like in the same way as there is nothing on the plate. So both times it was not the only thing on the plate, but it was the same piece. I just went back and opened the sliced files in Chitubox, BOTH times it looks like that one piece has been lifted slightly from the build area. So... there's the problem. I tried re-slicing the file by itself and recreating the previous two print files just to try and replicate it. No issues, everything is flat on the plate. So, somehow I managed to lift that one piece both times when creating the previous two print files. Probably when I was adjusting the layout.

88b32b6fac6e8c4948ee7b72733ae22e.gif.d49d7faf231018d4fd19834d000a8afa.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Illithar said:

So... just encountered something interesting. I've narrowed it down to it NOT being a file issue and NOT a slicer software issue. I was printing a couple of pre-supported files from Artisan Guild and had a file fail completely twice, seemingly right after printing the raft/platform. The first time was a 'well that's weird' moment. My first thought was a leveling issue, but the other piece on the plate printed perfectly. So, I cleaned out the vat and filtered the resin and tried again. I checked the print part way through, the other two things printed fine, but again that piece failed, looks like in the same way as there is nothing on the plate. So both times it was not the only thing on the plate, but it was the same piece. I just went back and opened the sliced files in Chitubox, BOTH times it looks like that one piece has been lifted slightly from the build area. So... there's the problem. I tried re-slicing the file by itself and recreating the previous two print files just to try and replicate it. No issues, everything is flat on the plate. So, somehow I managed to lift that one piece both times when creating the previous two print files. Probably when I was adjusting the layout.

Indeed something you need to check.

I have adjusted files and noticed they lifted from the buildplate, luckily I noticed it and corrected it before printing.

Also I do not trust any presupported files just like that, always check.

• Like 1

So after working on dialing in setting with a new mix of resins (Elegoo ABS-like grey and Siraya Tech Tenatious in 70/30 mix) I got a pretty good result. It’s a tiny bit over cured so I dropped the time by 0.5 seconds. 

24FE0C78-3E16-43DB-9F51-65AB1A23C2A0.thumb.jpeg.344cfd4df5981fbcacbb8025794b20f6.jpeg

was happy with were this was headed so hit print on a relatively big job...  which worked, sort of.  

1E6EDBC4-FD8F-4559-B771-9D08ADEDC93F.thumb.jpeg.bbbf435bbca00d548bac4cf4ae435c30.jpeg

it’s as if 3 times during the print it exposed the entire screen for a couple layers and then went on printing again.  With a fair bit of work I might be able to use it but since it’s for a friend to use as his centrepiece in an army, I’m going to re-slice and try another USB stick as I’m assuming this is a slicing error...  hoping at least.  I’ve seen some scary spider webbing on FDM machines but this was new to me on resin...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

39 minutes ago, Rahz said:

So after working on dialing in setting with a new mix of resins (Elegoo ABS-like grey and Siraya Tech Tenatious in 70/30 mix) I got a pretty good result. It’s a tiny bit over cured so I dropped the time by 0.5 seconds. 

24FE0C78-3E16-43DB-9F51-65AB1A23C2A0.thumb.jpeg.344cfd4df5981fbcacbb8025794b20f6.jpeg

was happy with were this was headed so hit print on a relatively big job...  which worked, sort of.  

1E6EDBC4-FD8F-4559-B771-9D08ADEDC93F.thumb.jpeg.bbbf435bbca00d548bac4cf4ae435c30.jpeg

it’s as if 3 times during the print it exposed the entire screen for a couple layers and then went on printing again.  With a fair bit of work I might be able to use it but since it’s for a friend to use as his centrepiece in an army, I’m going to re-slice and try another USB stick as I’m assuming this is a slicing error...  hoping at least.  I’ve seen some scary spider webbing on FDM machines but this was new to me on resin...

I've had that happen a few times, but it didn't effect the print itself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I still have no idea what caused it when it happened to me.

You think it's a slicing error?

Would it help to reslice the file?

That has been the advice on the Saturn FB page.  A bad slice or a bad USB stick are apparently to blame.  I still have to drain the vat and clean it before I can try again.  I have re-sliced and copied the file to a new USB drive so I will give it another go once I clean that vat later tonight. 

• Thanks 1