Resin Printer Issues

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

How well have you shaken the old resin before use?   

It needs to be shaken well, before pouring so that it's mixed evenly. 

I always shake my resin well, before use & after I pour it back in when I'm doing stuff with the vat. I will also swirl it around a bit before re-attaching the plate using a slim styrene rod I had handy (Evergreen Plastics, made for modeling, it was handy). I did use the plastic spatula that came the Photon S printer the other day, just to give a good mix.

Since I switch back to a older resin, I haven't had any problems, so I'm thinking there was something going bad with the resin that was left in the bottle. Again, it wasn't much, but probably enough to do a couple of medium size minis. I'm still going to order anther bottle of Phrozen 4k resin as you can see the different between the 2 resins (older one was made for 2k printers).

• Like 1

So the adventure continues,  I am now on my 3rd print run on my elegoo mars 2 pro. So what I have been running into is this:

20210826_090258.thumb.jpg.9c17b7f46136aaf41e4f8ac1af7033ff.jpg

now, that isn't a model falling off into the drink,the print comes out great, everything held. That is what is left when I get the print off the bed. Too much exposure, not enough? Or is this normal? Should I shock the prints off or do a slow push off? (That's how I eventually got this off) Also, is the slight scratch/gouge lines a concern long term printing?

Also, this is water washable resin, and I use elegoo mercury to clean and cure with distilled water. However, on the top of the build plate (which when washed is submerged), I get this:

20210826_090307.thumb.jpg.76b8b4b2a5a9f9658dd7848786340fc9.jpg

I know it's hard to see, but it leaves what feels like a thin layer of resin. Am I doing something wrong,  clean up wise?

• Like 2

I never use the water washable stuff so I don't have any personal experience.  A quick glance as the MSDS shows it contains hexamethylene diacrylate.  I'm not sure what else they've added to make it "water washable" but in and of itself stuff like that is not very water soluble.  It wouldn't surprise me if it leaves a residue.  Either way it is still toxic and can't go down the drain.

As to your other issue, I use a 4" blade to take it all off.  It also doesn't scratch the surface.  A few light scratches shouldn't matter though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Auberon said:

I never use the water washable stuff so I don't have any personal experience.  A quick glance as the MSDS shows it contains hexamethylene diacrylate.  I'm not sure what else they've added to make it "water washable" but in and of itself stuff like that is not very water soluble.  It wouldn't surprise me if it leaves a residue.  Either way it is still toxic and can't go down the drain.

As to your other issue, I use a 4" blade to take it all off.  It also doesn't scratch the surface.  A few light scratches shouldn't matter though.

4" blade, like those straight box cutters?

• Like 1

I use plastic scrapers to avoid damage.

That being said, a scratch on the build plate is no problem, scratches on the FEP are something to keep an eye on, you don't want punctures there.

I always clean the build plate immediately after printing to avoid resin residue.

The leftover resin you got in the VAT after printing?

Sometimes it happens when a little support wanders off and gets cured in the VAT, you need to remove that.

It could be a raft that got stuck?

Anyway, always look for stuff like that after printing and remove that before printing again.

If there's too much stuff floating around or residue in the VAT/on the FEP next prints will fail.

• Like 1

So I think my USB thumb drive is failing? I've been getting some odd (and annoying) failures with my last 3 prints. I only have pictures of 2 of the 3 prints, seen below. It just sort of... stops for and then starts printing again. With the remainder sticking to the FEP. It has happened at a different point with each point and it's with a different file each time and there are no other apparent issues. Hopefully I can swing by a local shop and pick up a cheap (but not too cheap) thumb drive to test with. I've tried printing this Ogre arm 3 times now...

image.png.da1b425dc704a678950208434b18ce43.png

image.png.a0fb70d82f6f69bec08f2681aca35525.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well.. that was luckily a dodged bullet for my case of the dumbs.  

Ran a print the night before last that had several minis on it, yesterday morning when I went to process, one had ripped free of the supports and was still down in the vat, but the rest I knocked off into my rinse tank.  I got a call before I got to cleaning the vat and completely forgot that I hadn't done so.  

yesterday evening I stuck the thumb drive in and started a print, then went to go fix a cup of chamomile. Came back about 10 minutes later and heard a nice little grinding noise coming from the printer.  It tried to home, the plate hit the incomplete mini in the vat, and it couldn't go all the way down, so it sat there for 10 minutes just buzzing and trying to push the plate the rest of the way down.

Quickly aborted the print, drained the vat, and inspected the screen.  Looks like no damage. There's a small perforation in the FEP but that may have been the cause of the previous failure as there was cured resin on the screen, and since the plate never homed the light hadn't come on at all yet.  I cleaned everything up, went to replace the FEP and realized I hadn't restocked after I put the last one on.  So I stuck a little packaging tape over the hole as a temporary 'let's see' then started the print again.  Everything came out great this morning, so I've a new order in to flexvat for films.

PXL_20211008_144834686.thumb.jpg.4070a1020ab900e13b36e49ddd77c510.jpg

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 2

So, turns out it wasn't the USB stick but my screen it seems. Started getting some horrible messes coming out of my printer. Fortunately I have a spare screen. Swapped it in, and all is good...

Except I haven't had a 100% successful print since. With the exception of one it is all small failures too. I tweaked some supports on one to alleviate it and it fails again but in a different spot! A,spot that didn't have any issues before! Uugggh!! I have burned the better part of a bottle of resin trying to work all of this out.

I'll keep troubleshooting, but this is probably the worst experience I have had printing since I started. I think I may try picking up some nFEP along with another backup screen. I have heard good things, maybe it will be less frustrating...

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Illithar said:

So, turns out it wasn't the USB stick but my screen it seems. Started getting some horrible messes coming out of my printer. Fortunately I have a spare screen. Swapped it in, and all is good...

Except I haven't had a 100% successful print since. With the exception of one it is all small failures too. I tweaked some supports on one to alleviate it and it fails again but in a different spot! A,spot that didn't have any issues before! Uugggh!! I have burned the better part of a bottle of resin trying to work all of this out.

I'll keep troubleshooting, but this is probably the worst experience I have had printing since I started. I think I may try picking up some nFEP along with another backup screen. I have heard good things, maybe it will be less frustrating...

You replaced the screen.

Did you now calibrate the printer/level it like it's new?

It might just be the thing?

Is the screen connected like it should and perfectly in place?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

You replaced the screen.

Did you now calibrate the printer/level it like it's new?

It might just be the thing?

Is the screen connected like it should and perfectly in place?

The screen is in nice and even and connected properly. However, in my frustration I did neglect re-level the plate. Just did that this morning and am running an Ameralabs Town now.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Illithar said:

The screen is in nice and even and connected properly. However, in my frustration I did neglect re-level the plate. Just did that this morning and am running an Ameralabs Town now.

Fingers crossed.

I will help you hoping that that was the issue.

• Like 1