Resin Printer Issues

28 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I will help you hoping that that was the issue.

No good, it is as bad as the previous tests. I will try swapping to a different vat with a fresh FEP in it on my lunch break a bit later today. The current FEP doesn't appear to be damaged or have any issues, but who knows? It's worth a shot.

• Sad 1

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Illithar said:

No good, it is as bad as the previous tests. I will try swapping to a different vat with a fresh FEP in it on my lunch break a bit later today. The current FEP doesn't appear to be damaged or have any issues, but who knows? It's worth a shot.

Did you test the screen?

Does it show something odd?

One stupid question maybe, but it happened to me when I changed a FEP for the first time.

Most FEP Films are protected by a layer of protective sheet on BOTH sides!!!

I thought it was just one and printed a few times with one of those sheets still attached.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Did you test the screen?

Does it show something odd?

One stupid question maybe, but it happened to me when I changed a FEP for the first time.

Most FEP Films are protected by a layer of protective sheet on BOTH sides!!!

I thought it was just one and printed a few times with one of those sheets still attached.

Hmmm... There is an odd shadow on a small area of the screen not near the print area for the test print though. It doesn't look like bad pixels and there's no flickering. I wonder if something fell in when I was replacing the screen? I guess I will have to crack it open and see. Either way, it wouldn't fully explain the odd issues I am having.

I have been using the same vat and FEP for at least a couple of months, and the stuff I got doesn't have the peel off protector. So, it isn't that.

• Like 1

Ooook... So, ripped open my printer and got the lens, there was indeed a tiny bit of... Something on it. Not resin fortunately, it was cured in place. I got that out of there and blew off any dust with some canned air. I got it all back together and checked everything, all looks good so I have another test print going.

Update: Test prints continue to not be great, sadly.

Side note: during this whole process I managed to knock a bottle of Goo Gone off my counter. The bottle burst. So I had to clean that up. Whatever bottles they use are not very strong. And my living room/kitchen now smells of citrus now.

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 1

Alright, so after some troubleshooting and other shenanigans, I have increased the exposure time to 14 seconds. As far as the test prints go this is working good. But, exposure times that high feel a bit ridiculous, buuut if it works it works. It's extending my print times significantly, and it will but out my screen that much faster. The conclusion seems to be that screen might be faulty, maybe a bit dim? The UV light seems bright enough but... I dunno. I have a proper print going now, we'll see how that turns out. I also have another replacement screen and some nFEP on the way, I will probably just use the current screen until it burns out and then swap in the new screen and see how things play out. Maybe the nFEP will help as well, who knows? 

Just makes me that much more tempted to pick up a newer monochrome screen printer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Did you change resins?

Another brand perhaps or even a different colour?

This can lead to different settings!

Nope, this is the same resin I have been using for 2 or 3 months at least. The only other thing I can think of if not the screen (or even the FEP) would be the LEDs inside have begun to fade. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Illithar said:

Nope, this is the same resin I have been using for 2 or 3 months at least. The only other thing I can think of if not the screen (or even the FEP) would be the LEDs inside have begun to fade. 

The LEDs should last, right?

I hope you can figure it out, else, isn't there some sort of repair service somehwere?

• Like 1

I got some similar issues now.

Tried to print 6 minis yesterday.

Supported them myself.

3 were perfect, two only partial printed and one not at all.

Tried the presupported files this morning, nothing...

I remember why I hate presupports.

Tried supporting them myself again.

Tested the LCD which was fine.

Lowered the retracting speed.

It's now only printing one of the batch and I'm not certain if it will come out right.

I do use a different resin, but I have had succesful prints with it before.

Back to the drawing board so to speak.

• Sad 1

Hm.

Levelled the plate

Changed the FEP.

Cleaned the LCD Screen with Alcohol ( noticed a few small specks of resin, scraped it off then used alcohol)

Tested the screen.

Printing now and let's see what happens next.

If this fails I will switch to another resin and another file to see if the files /resin might be the problem.

One mini did print this afternoon out of 4.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The LEDs should last, right?

I hope you can figure it out, else, isn't there some sort of repair service somehwere?

They should, honestly I it's a bit of reach that that is the issue. No repair shops anywhere near where I am at though, I can guarantee that. Although, if it came down to it and I could get a replacement array I'd be comfortable swapping it out. I had to replace the whole thing a while back as my Mars Pro had the 'grid' problem cause by bad lens alignment. Elegoo sent me a replacement for the whole thing.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

It worked, that solved the problem.

Prints have been perfect now.

Glad to hear you got yours sorted!

Something did occur to me today though: I wonder if it IS the resin, or more specifically, what I left of this bottle. One downside of Siraya Tech's fast resins low viscosity is that it tends to separate out a lot faster than other resins. The resin will look black after a while but if you mix it, some lighter colored stuff that has settled to the bottom can be easily stirred back in while it's in the vat. BUT, when I had those failures cause by the previous bad screen, there was stuff stuck in the nooks and cranies of those cronenberg monstrosities that I couldn't get out, so I just filtered and poured what I could back into the bottle. This happened a couple of times until it sunk in for me that the screen was dead (REALLY should have tested that right away, but here we are). So, it's possible the mix of my remaining resin is off, requiring the increased exposure times. I have almost used this one up and have a fresh bottle still sealed in the box. Once I'm done with the current one (I hate to waste what's left despite the exposure time issue) hopefully I will be able to print normally with the next bottle.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Keep in mind that resin also has a due date.

It will expire and start to misbehave.

Besides that, different colours and brands can ask for new settings.

I really hope you can get it working again.

True, but I don't think that would happen so suddenly. This same bottle of resin was working fine until the screen was swapped out.

I did have another bottle of resin of the same type that I just tried a test print on and it had the same results. So... I dunno. The only thing left I can think of is that the screen is somehow faulty. I'll probably continue using this one, with the massively increased exposure time, until it burns out. I do have a replacement ordered (hasn't shipped yet) and it should be here well before the screen fries. 

can still print it just takes much, much longer. I've been working on getting LOTP Blue Dragon printed out. So, let me go get this 22 hour* print going <_<.

EDIT: *to be fair, it'd be ~17 hours on the 8 second exposure time, so it's not that bad. Stupid dragon wings... ::P:

Edited by Illithar
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My Photon S was working well (lets put it this way, it was working with whatever setting I had it in) until I had to change a burned out screen.  I put in the replacement screen & I couldn't get working again, I was pretty much just getting a plate that you let submerge into the vat & then let it sit for the entire print time. One of those things I could never figure out. It led me to purchasing a 4k mini, so in the end it was a happy accident. ^_^

I got my screen(s) from a seller on Aliexpress, so who knows if there were duds or not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1