Resin Printer Issues

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Well, I've been fighting with my Mars.  Thought it was a FEP issue, but changed vats and same issue.
Finally thought to test the LCD.

20210304_IMG_1715.thumb.jpg.0d5014c9a83e6501673dcae574358eb7.jpg

20210304_IMG_1712.thumb.jpg.8b77963343fc0e7a2021e7c7a9e4a282.jpg

Well, that explains the holes in my LAAT wing....

I have a spare LCD sitting on the desk.  Guess I'll be doing surgery in the next couple of days.

Keep us updated on this. I'll be doing the same next week sometime.

Also curious on how thin the tape around the edge of the screen is. I'm trying to acquire supplies in advance before taking things apart.

• Like 2

Screen swap seemed to go pretty well, certainly a cake walk compared to replacing the whole hot end or main board on an ender 3.......

Seems I have a "type C" main board.

Running a print to test it now.

Oh yah, mainboard swap was not a fun experience.

How thin was the tape under the glass? I'm not sure how similar Elegoo & Anycubic are in terms of machines but figured at least it would put me in same area. I watched a Yt vid about changing out a lcd & the guy used Vaneer tape as a replacement. I've never used or even seen this type of tape before. I've been looking at some foam tapes but I'm not sure on the thickness. I did find some at Harbor Freight the other day that looks thin & might work.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, haldir said:

How thin was the tape under the glass? I'm not sure how similar Elegoo & Anycubic are in terms of machines but figured at least it would put me in same area. I watched a Yt vid about changing out a lcd & the guy used Vaneer tape as a replacement. I've never used or even seen this type of tape before. I've been looking at some foam tapes but I'm not sure on the thickness. I did find some at Harbor Freight the other day that looks thin & might work.

Would Kapton Tape work?

I have that, used it for screen protection on the edges in case of resin spill.

8 hours ago, haldir said:

The Elegoo screen comes with some piece already cut the right size and shape.  I didn't use any, the old ones seemed good and sticky, so I'll pull them out and measure them later.

And a quick check looks like a hole free piece piece of LATT wing hanging there.  I'll take a closer look at breakfast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Would Kapton Tape work?

I have that, used it for screen protection on the edges in case of resin spill.

It has to be double sided as it holds the screen glass down. Yah I use Kapton tape for the lining as well. I thought about those gaskets on amazon, but with the style of my printer, it would be a major PiTA to get it in there, thus kapton tape again when I finally replace that screen. I'm just worried about the screen sticking over the edge, if I use too thick of tape. Most double sided (minus the Scotch tape one) are made of foam. The one I saw a Harbor Freight the other day was thin but made of the same material.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, haldir said:

It has to be double sided as it holds the screen glass down. Yah I use Kapton tape for the lining as well. I thought about those gaskets on amazon, but with the style of my printer, it would be a major PiTA to get it in there, thus kapton tape again when I finally replace that screen. I'm just worried about the screen sticking over the edge, if I use too thick of tape. Most double sided (minus the Scotch tape one) are made of foam. The one I saw a Harbor Freight the other day was thin but made of the same material.

But does that tape need to be able to withstand heat?

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Go grab a free copy of Rufus from here https://rufus.ie/

Put in your thumb drive to be formatted and then run rufus (it doesn't need to install to run).

Select the right drive. Set the Boot Selection as "Non bootable" 
Set the Partition scheme as MBR

You can set a volume name or adjust the other format options if you like but you don't need to .  Then hit Start and confirm you want to wipe out the data on the drive.

When done you should be good to go.

NOTE:

I did this yesterday and it worked on a new 4GB drive.

Very strange, today the Mars refuses to read it.

So I now used my original again, will try this trick again and see what happens.

Trying to create a spare USB for the Elegoo Mars in case the original dies.

First try was a succes, but one day later it won't read it anymore.

Tried shutting off and restarting several times, no luck.

Back to printing with the original without a problem.

I don't get it.

• Like 1

Nope. It just holds the screen down. Hate to snag a corner of the FEP on the screen when sliding in the Vat tray or possible light leakage.

That video I sent the link to you on here is the one where I found out about the veneer tape. Again, I've heard of veneers but never a tape. It shows the guy scrapping off the old tape with a glass scraper. If thin double sided tape will work, I picked up a roll of artist tack tape that looks like it's the same width as the edges. Problems is I have no idea where that tape could be right now.....Bought it, forgot about it & I think my wife put it in a "safe spot" when she was cleaning up....:rock:

I don't think you need to much force to hold the glass down, but then again with the plate sucking on the FEP while printing, it might be a good idea. (btw I think I heard my first "Suck" with the build plate on the FEP the other day. I've never paid much attention to it before.)

• Like 1

Here's a pic of the tape that came with mine:

20210306_IMG_1729.thumb.jpg.f9e7a8370deb5f66be17073b887da941.jpg

It is the black bit in the middle. So it is really thin, like double sided tape thin.  There isn't any sort of foaminess to it really, seems to be about the same thickness as the papers on either side.

Thanks that really clears up some things. I can see why the guy went with veneer tape. I was wondering about that one as every pic on big A was this thin tape. One of the downsides of buying my screens from Aliexpress, no acc, just the screen packed in bubble wrap but in a foam case.

• Like 2

Like @Jasper_the_2nd I need to change my lcd as well. Here is some visuals:

Screen tests

16154916328698055750257311428931.jpg

16154916834741693355375680238812.jpg

Oddly the above tests are 2 different tests & are after I turned my machine off when I took the vat out to clear it out. The 2nd test is the first test on the Photon S (generally the rectangle shape with the solid middle. You can't even tell in that one. Also, lately I've been able to turn my machine off & it would clear up the LCD, not this time, so I'm sure it's finally given up on me. Mainly waiting on my fan cover, but I'm gonna start the change out today.

16154917203383390265471434958895.jpg

I've ran my plate through my wash n cure so it's not a moist so to speak. It easily scraped off with just the included paint scrapper. Damn, I love that WnC, makes that part soooo much easier. Normally I'll get raised "mountains" to go along with what you see. This time is was just lines & allot of them together. You'll find similar patterns on the FEP as well. I was able to use my squeege to get those out, along with some gentle scraping with the plastic scrapper & my fingernail inside my gloves. No harm, no foul on that part at least.

Now to scan the webs again one last time to do this one properly!! I'll keep it open till the screen shows up today. Screen/dice tower & airbrush + minis = great day for packages!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow...

I had struggled with creating a replacement USB stick for the Elegoo Mars.

By now I've figured it out with the help of @Jasper_the_2nd, the ( non Elegoo) USB sticks need to be pushed just a little tighter to fit.

I also bought a little extension cord to relieve the connector from the stress.

But..

While I asked around and browsed the Net, I also contacted Elegoo's Support Service in Europe.

They were ever so helpful, we tested some stuff, didn't work.

And they just send me a new original USB stick ( including software and STL files).

No charge!

Just wanted to say they're awesome!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Wow...

I had struggled with creating a replacement USB stick for the Elegoo Mars.

By now I've figured it out with the help of @Jasper_the_2nd, the ( non Elegoo) USB sticks need to be pushed just a little tighter to fit.

I also bought a little extension cord to relieve the connector from the stress.

But..

While I asked around and browsed the Net, I also contacted Elegoo's Support Service in Europe.

They were ever so helpful, we tested some stuff, didn't work.

And they just send me a new original USB stick ( including software and STL files).

No charge!

Just wanted to say they're awesome!

I bought one of these as well, but I started to experience problems with my usb stick. I've stopped using it & I haven't had problems since. I may try it again with the new lcd installed.

• Like 2