FDM Printer Issues

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, haldir said:

I hate this feeling.

That's why my Ender hasn't been running for a few months...and part of the reason why I'm currently tracking my new FDM printer as it crossed the country.

But not ready to give up on the Ender yet.  Today I'll try switching back to the capricorn insert.  AND switch back to an older filament, instead of the new brand. AND give the glass bed a good cleaning as well, to make sure that isn't part of the issue.

16 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

The put a piece of capricorn in the hot end and "lock" it in method?

If so, I was doing that until I swapped the hotend (after my old one broke).  The new one came with a tube preinstalled and I was hoping it would behave for a little while, but I'm getting ready to do that tomorrow if I can find everything.

Yep, that tends to take care of most clogging issues all on it's own.

2 hours ago, cmorse said:

Yep, that tends to take care of most clogging issues all on it's own.

Yep, seems to be running well now that I've swapped back to that (he says tentatively, while looking at the half inch of building that has printed so far....).

If it keeps working with the old Hatchbox I dug out to test, I'll try the new stuff again next, with the exact same file.

What sort of printer do you have. I usually find relevelling and/or trying to get a bit more squish on that first layer by lowering the height usually helps any adhesion issues. I use a glass bed though and that has helped greatly if you're not using one.

1 hour ago, KayBee said:

What sort of printer do you have. I usually find relevelling and/or trying to get a bit more squish on that first layer by lowering the height usually helps any adhesion issues. I use a glass bed though and that has helped greatly if you're not using one.

I have actually lowered it to where the paper moves with tension, and it looks like it is better, hoping for the best. The printer is elegoo's new neptune 2. everything else (that I didn't mess up haha) has printed well, I am documenting it over in my neptune 2 post

I use glass bed on my i3, and I use UHU Glue stick, among others. 

Actually, I can't remember any brand of glue-stick that hasn't worked. 

And apply new glue over the area of the previous print before starting a new print. 

Clean the plate after a few prints (no more than half a dozen) as crud collects in the glue.  

I use a razor type scraper, like the ones used for ceramic cooktops, when I clean it properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an Ender 5 Plus. I am printing cavern tiles and walls. Sometimes, I am getting a line 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through some of the walls. It is like it forgot to lay down a layer or something. Until today, all of them have still been pretty solid and easily fixable with just a little patch of greenstuff. The one today though snapped in half. You could see that the filament looked like a stringy mess for that layer.

I can print the same exact file back to back and it will be perfect one time and goofed up the next. I honestly don't know how to fix something that only happens sometimes and I can't figure out why it is happening.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

If it's always happening at the same height look for something that might be catching or binding at that height. Otherwise it's probably a partial clog caused by the bowden tube slipping or being badly cut. Print and install the hot end fix if you haven't already.

• Like 1

grumble grumble.

Getting horrible under extrusion issues on my ender 3 here.  It's particularly a problem when on layers with a lot of small areas. Trying to print terrain tiles and sometimes some of the supports just don't print at all or they print flimsly and rickety.  Layers are spotty with holes in them. This is filiament and sliced files that were working fine a few weeks ago but in the last week have stopped so I I'm pretty sure it's not a slicer issue but actually something mechanical...

I've changed the nozzle and tightened the PTFE tube against it multiple times,  I had to trim the end of the tube at least twice because it looked like some melted plastic had collected near the tip just inside the tube.

Seems like I've either got some heat creep going on, or I'm getting filament binding going through the hole in the extruder arm. I've also noticed that the spool isn't turning super easy but I haven't had problems with that before.  I did replace the hotend cooling fan recently because the stock one had broken off a blade at some point and had a gnarly vibration, I don't think my replacement fan is moving as much air though, may have to replace it again.

I'm also going to try tearing down the extruder and checking for wear and try coming up with a more slippery spool rotation situation. (I'm already using a filament arm guide.

Leaving town tomorrow morning and I have to pack tonight so no time to tinker with it until I get back.  Not that I would have left it running while out of town anyway.

@Cygnwulf Do you have a plastic or metal extruder piece where your guide wheel and stuff are? I was having trouble and it was because it had worn the plastic and was catching my filament not feeding it through properly. Replaced with a metal piece and back in business.