Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Resins

I am using an AnyCubic Photon S.  On it, I typically use the following resins:

- AnyCubic Aqua:  I love this resin for general printing/painting.  It seems to hold details as good as the transparent green, but is easier to see the details in it.

- AnyCubic Green:  Good resin, but harder to see the details in that the Aqua, so I don't use it much anymore.

- Phrozen High Temp Engineering Resin: I use this dark grey resin to print minis that will be cast using vulcanization to make the molds. Other resins I have tried just crack in the mold. It used to be really expensive, but now the price is about the same as the AC Aqua, so it is becoming my mainstay for everything.

- Bluecast X10 with Sharpenizer:  This is a specialty resin made for lost wax burnout.  The detail this takes is AMAZING, much better than the other resins.  That said, it is also about $200 for a 500ml bottle.  But it is worth it since it fully burns out in the mold and gives me beautiful casts.

Resins I have tried and will not waste my money on again:

- Phrozen Wax-like: prints well but is very expensive and does not fully burn-out in the casting process.  Money down the toilet on that one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm getting ready to try Elegoo Water washable since that is what Elegoo recommends for the Saturn.. most of the more experienced people I talk to in one of my printing discords recommend Siraya or Amera so once I know what I am doing I may go that route

I started with Anycubic trans green as it came with the printer but I didn't care much for visual on it. Hard to see & reminded me of priming in black. I just didn't care for it. I switched over to Anycubic grey & I've gotten both the ABS-like & regular (many cause I didn't read the product description on Amazon). I like it as I tend to prime in primer grey color anyways. I just need to get my setting more dialed in & such. I do think once my bottle & a quarter of a bottle are up, I'm gonna give Anycubic's grey a try again. I mean I do own a printer from them, why not give anther chance. It'll be grey or some other visible color. It definitely won't be a trans color.

Oddly one of my best print is printed in AC trans green - toilet paper merchant by Cast n Play. Go figure?!

• Like 1

On my Bean, I started with 3DSR(Kudo3D's Resin brand) Translucent green. The prints were crisp, but difficult to really see. 

The clear was... foggy, and took a long time to print. 

(May have been because the bean uses 395nm UV light)

The 3DSR flexible printed well, but it goes brittle if exposed to cold.

The Engineering Tough' is grey, and hard, but chips easily, so not all that tough anyway. 

On my Photon, I've printed with Translucent green(not fond of it), Clear(really yellowish, so useless for me), 3DSR Clear(30seconds layer exposure... ) clearer, but foggy. and Grey. 

I think I'll stick to grey. Good details and no fuss. 

• Like 1

Just started my second bottle of Phrozen Aqua, the only kind I have tried so far but no issues. Since my printer prints fast due to the mono lcd I have been wanting to try Siraya Fast to see just how fast I can get layer prints.

• Like 1

I use monocure3d rapid resins in my photon, the main reason for this is that they are actually the easiest for me to get because I can order directly from the manufacturer. Once I got the setting worked out it holds detail pretty well, and doesn't have the odour that the Anycubic resin seems to have.

The clear is more inclined to overexposure and muddier prints, but the red and green come up well.

Their clear does come out clear, but it is very sensitive to UV wavelength as anything lower than 405nm results in significant yellowing (so no post-cure in the sun). 

• Thanks 1

I use the standard Elegoo Mars Printer.

Started out with Elegoo Grey Resin and since it works for me / and I'm going to paint everything anyway, I will keep using that.

Maybe when it becomes unavailable here I will change, but I still have over 2 liter since I couldn't print during the summer.

Support settings

image.png.a7d0fad427bb61ab94fcf24916d336a8.png

image.png.4c6eb5dccc8e43fc0bd183c9f660c465.png

image.thumb.png.70b5e2f49448c880bc05d95b2e460be0.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Standard Anycubic for me, I prefer the solid colours over the transparent green. The plant based stuff is quite good too, and doesn't smell too bad. It's hard to get right now though.

I have an Anycubic Photon ::):

• Like 2

I’ve got an anycubic photon S.  As said before, the translucent green holds detail very nice, just hard to see, especially for cleaning up supports from my experience.  Since then I started using the anycubic grey.

After the first bottle I actually have switched to a 50/50 mix of AC grey and Siraya Blu.  This seems to keep the grey’s ease of seeing details with the Siraya Blu’s strength since almost everything I print will be for D&D.  Bonus, if I need to print any invisible minis, I plan to use the Siraya Blu just by itself.  Image is of the 50/50 mix.  Grey with a slight blue shift.

80FFB973-CE7E-4DC6-A348-5E4BBDF14E61.thumb.jpeg.efdf920a24c7dbb1e49a310449b4075f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have only used Elegoo standard and ABS-like thus far as it's pretty much the only stuff I can find at a reasonable price in Canada.  I did just order a bottle of Siraya Tenatious which cost a bomb but I plan on putting a little in with my other resins to add some strength to things like Gaslands movement templates and such in the hopes that they will survive a drop or 2.  I mostly had luck with the clear ABS-like stuff but have been using ABS-like grey on the Saturn this week and so far, so good.  MUCH easier to see details and such instead of having to wait until I prime to realize I have a tone more clean-up to do... 

• Like 4

I found that I didn't care for the semi-transparent green resin that came with my Photon S, it didn't seem to hold detail well and cleaning the supports was a bit tricky because they were stiff but brittle. I started using their environmental resin and I found that my prints were a bit sharper (but still room for improvement) and cleaning the supports off was much easier. The environmental stuff is much less smelly, and as we are still tinkering with the settings and getting a lot of failed prints I feel much less guilty about throwing away failed prints if they are biodegradable.

• Like 5