Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ManvsMini

Jeweler's Saw or Razor Saw?

Recommended Posts

For those who like to convert metal miniatures, do you prefer using a jeweler's saw to do your cutting, or the hobby razor saw? The jeweler's saw gives a finer cut/removes less material, but I find the frequent breaking of the blade to be an annoyance. I go for the razor saw.

 

Your thoughts? Discuss, please.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both have their purpose for me, but I tend to use jeweler more. I like the fact that I can take it & cut & angle, cut & angle. I did this with a pig mini from Scibor. I want it to just be a regular but big pig for We be goblins too!! game. The thin blade made that perfect for getting rid of the baggage that was on it's back.

 

Razor saws are good at cutting stock materials like rods & stuff. No way I'd even consider using a jeweler for those. Team it up with a miter box & you've got perfect straight or angle cuts.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now prefer a jeweler's saw, I used to prefer the razor saw.  Why the change?  Frankly, I took up jewelry as a hobby and learned the correct way to cut with a jeweler's saw.  Funny how my blades stopped breaking once I knew how to use the tool as it was intended :rolleyes: (I still do break them, but very rarely).

Some videos on the subject that are really helpful:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on6pu9SkDoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwt9vZK5eSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZP10g1JLY

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I now prefer a jeweler's saw, I used to prefer the razor saw.  Why the change?  Frankly, I took up jewelry as a hobby and learned the correct way to cut with a jeweler's saw.  Funny how my blades stopped breaking once I knew how to use the tool as it was intended :rolleyes: (I still do break them, but very rarely).

Some videos on the subject that are really helpful:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on6pu9SkDoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwt9vZK5eSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZP10g1JLY

 

I will admit I was bit scared at first using a jewler's saw, the whole blade breaking thing & not knowing when it would break (sorta like popping a balloon, you know it's gonna happen, just when it does...) but after breaking a couple I was like eh, I was scared of this? Crazy but part of the whole learning thing.

 

I think I'm that way with scalpel blades (noticing your sig), I tend to put my finger on a exacto blade when using it for certain tasks & yes I cut towards me as well. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using scalpel blades even thou I know they are suppose to be sharper & I wouldn't do the finger touching thing, just old habits.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, haldir said:

 

I will admit I was bit scared at first using a jewler's saw, the whole blade breaking thing & not knowing when it would break (sorta like popping a balloon, you know it's gonna happen, just when it does...) but after breaking a couple I was like eh, I was scared of this? Crazy but part of the whole learning thing.

 

I think I'm that way with scalpel blades (noticing your sig), I tend to put my finger on a exacto blade when using it for certain tasks & yes I cut towards me as well. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using scalpel blades even thou I know they are suppose to be sharper & I wouldn't do the finger touching thing, just old habits.

 

No, no you wouldn't want to do that with a feather scalpel, it would be 3 mm into you and the project would be red before you felt anything.  They are scary sharp. I've run one through the flesh pad of my thumb and didn't know it until I started seeing blood on my work board.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I now prefer a jeweler's saw, I used to prefer the razor saw.  Why the change?  Frankly, I took up jewelry as a hobby and learned the correct way to cut with a jeweler's saw.  Funny how my blades stopped breaking once I knew how to use the tool as it was intended :rolleyes: (I still do break them, but very rarely).

Some videos on the subject that are really helpful:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on6pu9SkDoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwt9vZK5eSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmZP10g1JLY

 

Since I've done silversmithing, I won't use a jeweler's saw on minis since I don't have an appropriate setup to use the saw properly. No point in using it if I can't use it right. 100% right - blades don't break if you use the tool in good form!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

 

Since I've done silversmithing, I won't use a jeweler's saw on minis since I don't have an appropriate setup to use the saw properly. No point in using it if I can't use it right. 100% right - blades don't break if you use the tool in good form!

 

I admit, I am a bit spoiled in terms of my setup ::D::


bench.jpg.d385315836e5b19e7a02c45c4d667c36.jpg
 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, haldir said:

I think I'm that way with scalpel blades (noticing your sig), I tend to put my finger on a exacto blade when using it for certain tasks & yes I cut towards me as well. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using scalpel blades even thou I know they are suppose to be sharper & I wouldn't do the finger touching thing, just old habits.

 

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

 

No, no you wouldn't want to do that with a feather scalpel, it would be 3 mm into you and the project would be red before you felt anything.  They are scary sharp. I've run one through the flesh pad of my thumb and didn't know it until I started seeing blood on my work board.

 

Since I do that with my xacto blade too, I use a sewing thimble over any fingers on the endangered hand. While I am fairly certain it'd stop the scalpel, I'm not eager to find out the hard way. With my luck, I'd end up slicing into another part of my hand. I think I am going to need a scalpel though; I've got some extremely tough plastic and resin minis that a sharp xacto just won't cut through.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 11:58 AM, TaleSpinner said:

 

I admit, I am a bit spoiled in terms of my setup ::D::


bench.jpg.d385315836e5b19e7a02c45c4d667c36.jpg
 

 

Ahhh a jeweler's bench. I sold my bench when I moved to Canada. Hadn't been using it or the tools (I kept some fav tools - sent them to family). They're amazing and sturdy. And you have all the fun bits and files to play with!! While in silversmithing class I ended up with lots of tiny file "cuts" - not enough to bleed, but just kinda roughened skin. These then got full of silver dust from all the filing. Took a few weeks after the course ended for my fingers to not be somewhat blackened with tiny filings. Good times.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

While in silversmithing class I ended up with lots of tiny file "cuts" - not enough to bleed, but just kinda roughened skin. These then got full of silver dust from all the filing. Took a few weeks after the course ended for my fingers to not be somewhat blackened with tiny filings. Good times.

 

So... what I am getting from this is that for a time you sparkled when in the sunlight... almost as if you were one of those "vampires" from that Twilight movie series?

 

Or do you prefer the term "shimmered" instead of "sparkled" to set you apart from that? ::D:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the stuff stuck in the cuts didn't sparkle or shimmer at all. The dust and other polishing goop was black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TaleSpinner and everyone else who uses a scalpel for cutting or mold lines, what size blade do you recommend? And how often do you change your blade?

 

I'm been looking online today, size 10 blade seems readily available, but it looks a bit big for mold lines. While a size 15 blade looks good, they are hard to find in an affordable quantity. Currently, I just don't have $40-50 to spend on a pack of 100. I've been able to find a pack of 2, but not from anywhere that sells the handle in stock, and I don't want to pay $4 or $5 to ship something that costs $1.50.

 

Any direction would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use feather surgical blades, #11. I buy them in 100 packs. I change them as soon as I see any glinting on the edge. I do not use scalpel handles. The flat handle makes them hard to control. I put then in X-acto knife handles. The round handle lets you follow a curve. 
 

 

However, if it is mold lines on Bones you are removing, get these:

 

D3ADD9D0-3D48-4B30-90B5-E656253D39EE.thumb.jpeg.a188e01fbb2121306271fa9494325eb6.jpeg

 

They really are the best thing I’ve found for Bones scraping and the whole set is under $20 on Amazon

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

 

D3ADD9D0-3D48-4B30-90B5-E656253D39EE.thumb.jpeg.a188e01fbb2121306271fa9494325eb6.jpeg

 

 

 

The 2nd one to the right. Is that a mini chisel blade? If not, could it be used as a mini chisel blade?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, haldir said:

 

The 2nd one to the right. Is that a mini chisel blade? If not, could it be used as a mini chisel blade?

 

 

Yes, second in on both right and left are mini chisels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...