Recruitment of the canadians moving along well. I've found or remodeled some files for almost everything I want for the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division. I run a test print as I finish so that I know they'll print. Latest print is a brigade HQ marker. I printed this with no supports and am very happy. A couple little things to snip off is all. I thought I might have to print the vehicles seperate but this worked. More photos of everything here. https://app.mediafire.com/44q5cot7t0bmd

IMG_8857.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

• Like 3
  • Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm not looking forward to removing all those supports and sanding the scars.

Well, that can be solved.

You just send it all to me and I will remove the supports, sand the scars...keep the drakes myself...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Did you place them like that to reduce the space they used on the build plate?    

I use FormWare, and it has a function to place it as either 'fast print', 'minimize build plate use' or 'minimize supports' 

Quite a lot of humanoids for example ends up upside down when I use the 'minimize supports' option.   

• Like 3

Be aware of printing monsters upside down, it could mean supports being placed on fangs/teeth/claws that might be a pain to remove and high risk of breaking off the part.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Did you place them like that to reduce the space they used on the build plate?    

I use FormWare, and it has a function to place it as either 'fast print', 'minimize build plate use' or 'minimize supports' 

Quite a lot of humanoids for example ends up upside down when I use the 'minimize supports' option.   

I always orient models with the majority of pointy bits pointing up.  That reduces the amount of supports needed.  In this case, it meant that they needed to be head down since there are so many pointy scales pointing back, down, up, and to the sides.  The only direction pointy things are not pointing on these is forward.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Be aware of printing monsters upside down, it could mean supports being placed on fangs/teeth/claws that might be a pain to remove and high risk of breaking off the part.

Yeah, it is a danger. 

I spend a lot of time getting the model oriented just right to avoid needing supports on such structures. 

When unavoidable, I use the smallest support possible on those things.  Then when removing supports, I do so before curing the model so it is not as brittle.  Also, I heat the model up with a hair dryer.  That makes the resin get all soft and bendy which makes cutting the supports easier and allows fine parts to flex instead of break during support removal.  I always try to leave a bit of a stub on the parts too; then after support removal, I can cure the model and gently sand and shape those parts to remove the stubs using diamond tipped bits in my rotary tool.  If you rip the supports off, you often get a divot and that requires filling if you want to keep the original shape of the model intact.

• Like 3

I use hot water for that.

Works like a charm, just don't boil it, tried that a few times and ended up with a few cracks in the model because the water was too hot.

Just use hot water from the tap.

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I use hot water for that.

Works like a charm, just don't boil it, tried that a few times and ended up with a few cracks in the model because the water was too hot.

Just use hot water from the tap.

I tried the water but prefer the hot air because the water on the surface of the model distorts what I can see as I work.  Plus I don't like getting my work area so wet.

The hot air leaves it dry but has the same effect on the resin.

• Thanks 1
Just now, TaleSpinner said:

I tried the water but prefer the hot air because the water on the surface of the model distorts what I can see as I work.  The hot air leaves it dry but has the same effect on the resin.

Hot air on uncured resin.

Do wear a mask then, you might barely smell it, but I think there are fumes being created.

Good thinking though considering the visibility.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hot air on uncured resin.

Do wear a mask then, you might barely smell it, but I think there are fumes being created.

Good thinking though considering the visibility.

Good thought.  I hadn't been, but my whole area is vented.  That said, I do not want to regret anything in 20 years, so I'll start wearing my good 3M fume mask.  Better safe than sorry.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to call this a success.  Printed sans supports using a slightly tweaked version of Prusa Slicer's default profile for the Ender 3.  Overture Matte Aqua PLA.  There are a few small loops on some of the bridging perimeters, and the few thin spots on the spirals that I think came from some mild warping getting pushed back into place, I might up the temp slightly.  I can't find that Prusa Slicer has a draft shield option which I've found helps print those angled thin bits that are common in torture tests.

rook.thumb.jpg.b71dc2361f92f4ffc197ec2f9132395b.jpg

• Like 3