Print Successes

After a number of issues all stemming from originally being sent the wrong filament type (and me not noticing I had the settings wrong), I finally have my Ender 5 Pro up and running again! Just printed, Zombie Captain America from FotisMint! I have some things to fix in and around his mouth (supports were too thick there and it was hard getting them out), but aside from that, he turned out really good!

20220114_214851.jpg

Oh, and the Criosphinx on Amun-Re Temple by Lost Kingdom Miniatures! There were a couple failures due to my placement on the print bed, especially on the Criosphinx, but overall they're minor and will be easy to fix. Took at least 5 tries to get the second part of the steps printed, as this was pre issues with the filament and during the issues. Glad to be able to move on to the next project for pieces for the Reaper Ghost Ship!

20220110_170621.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bojesphob said:

After a number of issues all stemming from originally being sent the wrong filament type (and me not noticing I had the settings wrong), I finally have my Ender 5 Pro up and running again! Just printed, Zombie Captain America from FotisMint! I have some things to fix in and around his mouth (supports were too thick there and it was hard getting them out), but aside from that, he turned out really good!

20220114_214851.jpg

Oh, and the Criosphinx on Amun-Re Temple by Lost Kingdom Miniatures! There were a couple failures due to my placement on the print bed, especially on the Criosphinx, but overall they're minor and will be easy to fix. Took at least 5 tries to get the second part of the steps printed, as this was pre issues with the filament and during the issues. Glad to be able to move on to the next project for pieces for the Reaper Ghost Ship!

20220110_170621.jpg

That is an awesome print! Think back 10 years ago when we were just dreaming of this kind of stuff.

• Like 1

Always wanted better runner holders than what I had.  So I took a design from Thingiverse, and wound up modifying it (125% scale, and then modifying and merging a second one into the base to give support at the back), and printed it in Sparta3D Burnt Coral Sparkle ABS+. 

20220417_100356.thumb.jpg.ce3beac66f1eeff6ca8a21b1faaa1250.jpg

20220417_100402.thumb.jpg.a86ca396837f67858bfe9a53aa49afa7.jpg

Much larger wells than the old one, not quite as tall, and a lovely peachy pink orange kind of colour depending on how the light hits it. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Cool.

Agreed.  The original ones I was using were alright, but I didn't like fighting to not only get them lined up with the tiny openings for the runners, but also having them stay in place was always a challenge.  Going this way, I think I can fit 24 runners while taking up about 5" more space on the desk, which is a good enough workaround in my eyes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

What are runners? Sprues?

Yes.

Looks cool, but I work on too many kits at once, so I'd end up prob less than what the solution is, ha ha.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Isn't it great that you can just print it?

To me it's like science fiction coming true.

I agree.  Just over 11 hours all in to print one of these (because my print_start.cfg has preheating, three axis bed levelling, and then a 5x5 mesh levelling involved, so that's easily 20-25 minutes of the process, but you reaaaaally want a warm enclosure when printing ABS), and provided you take care of a few things up front it's a case of hit start and a while later you have a finished product. 

8 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

What are runners? Sprues?

They're used interchangeably in various communities, despite neither of them being the actual technical term for the whole injection molded part.  In the gunpla community they are pretty much only referred to as runners. 

4 hours ago, haldir said:

Yes.

Looks cool, but I work on too many kits at once, so I'd end up prob less than what the solution is, ha ha.

Yeah, I tend to usually only work on the one big thing at a time, so it works for me.  Still trying to figure out how I can do painting in the same area, because I wound up giving half of the desk to Rune/hubby so he could do builds. 

• Like 1

Third one printed well, giving me the 24 runner capacity I wanted.  Happy fox ish happy.  Spool's pretty much done, but oh well, was a nice colour that's grown a great deal on me.

20220418_055112.thumb.jpg.4018b1d408da9852a9c037c20b40af2c.jpg

20220418_055453.thumb.jpg.e850095a2858546d5275d5d81d11049b.jpg

That's a 300x300mm build plate.  I think it's something like 260ish mm wide per each 8 slot piece, but can't remember how deep, and something like 110mm tall.

• Like 4

I see you've got a tape holder tool, I've been looking at that, lately. My Tamiya tapes are in their own holders, but it's been awhile since I've seen 2 widths, I know I have. ::P:

Also is the baby blue oval thing, the desk cleaner? If it is, does it work like it's advertised?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I see you've got a tape holder tool, I've been looking at that, lately. My Tamiya tapes are in their own holders, but it's been awhile since I've seen 2 widths, I know I have. ::P:

Also is the baby blue oval thing, the desk cleaner? If it is, does it work like it's advertised?

I did indeed get a tape holder, as I wanted to see what it was like.  I still prefer my Tamiya tapes (they're on the left, out of frame) but I wanted to at least try other tapes while I was at it. 

As for the oval thing, it is indeed a tiny battery powered desk cleaner, and I've found it works wonders for cleaning up small little bits of plastic - to the point where after I take a hobbying knife to the gates to do a final trim, I then go over the desk with the little vacuum.  There's a few different versions, I found out there's a ladybug one a few months later.  Battery lasts for a while too, I've yet to have it die but I tend to recharge after a build or two just to be safe. 

So I'd say it's safe to say it works as advertised for small hobbying related dust and debris. 

Editing to add: I like to try out different things, so odds are in six months I'll have two more brands of masking tape in there, as well as at least one more brand of scribing tape. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

I've seen both items on various international hobby sites, so I was curious on if that cleaner actually worked or not. Thou the regular hobby table is a "caution taped off area" in the house, it is due to all the junk that has accumulated over the years on it vs actual hobbying done on it. I tend to snip plastic & toss the garbage as soon as it falls onto my table.

I did see a tool holder the other day, it's one of those that holds the tools (like 5 or 6) off the table horizontally that I'd like to try out, but obviously not going to order just that & pay int shipping for it. Working my way up to it with anther model order. Sad when a Tamiya panel line scriber & blades (their top of the line one) is extremely cheaper there vs ordering here in the US. I think even with int shipping, it's cheaper.

• Like 2

Going to call this one a success, DeamonSlayer-Spartan from Arma Mechanatus.  Loads of options on this one.  Had to print it after one of the other players in our Scion group, who is playing a scion of Hephaestus, finished building and used for the first time his 'Argonaut 9 Advanced Combat Suit"

PXL_20220414_012813492.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2