bones prep without alchohol?

in general I've been going with wash with dish soap and hot water followed by hot water rinse, and then a short soak in rubbing alchohol as my usual prep procedure for bones. But for covid reasons rubbing alchohol has become unavailable locally.

Is there something else that works well to wash bones or should I just use the soap and water and skip the alchohol?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly it's something some people do with specific minis, mostly for earlier runs, that are too soft and sag under their own weight. It's not meant as part of the washing/cleaning stage. I don't think it's ever been recommended as a step for every mini even by its proponents.

• Like 1

I made a plastic bag of simple green and water. About 50/50. It is a clear Ziploc. I just throw a mini in there slosh it around a bit. Drag it out and blot it dry.  I saved the bag. It has cleansed several figures.

• Artists
11 hours ago, cmorse said:

It's not meant as part of the washing/cleaning stage. I don't think it's ever been recommended as a step for every mini even by its proponents.

Based on my experience of the past couple of years, I recommend it as a step for every mini. Including non-Bones, but especially including Bones. A quick dip in isopropyl is the most consistently reliable method I have yet to remove grease and gunk from figures. I no longer bother with soap and water scrubbing unless I've got reason to think something's sticking on the figures. Soap and water scrub helps with the Bones hydrophobia, the alcohol is even better. I keep a little Tupperware of it and some tongs for dipping.

Werkrobotwerk - have you checked pharmacies in your area lately? In the first few months it was off the shelves of mine, but recently I've seen it again. And some on Amazon as well. In the meantime just the soap and water will help. Scrub a little with a toothbrush if you can. 

It hasn't been posted to YouTube yet, but you can watch my stuff that works on Bones video from ReaperCon 2020 on the Twitch channel currently. The prep snakes weren't completely cooperative in showing how effective the alcohol rinse can be. (There is some variation in the plastic mix so occasionally you get a Bones that's more hydrophobic.) The Zoom version of the class I did in a previous session that was not recorded, of course the prep figures worked exactly as I expected. ;->

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/733392832?filter=archives&sort=time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Wren said:

Based on my experience of the past couple of years, I recommend it as a step for every mini. Including non-Bones, but especially including Bones. A quick dip in isopropyl is the most consistently reliable method I have yet to remove grease and gunk from figures. I no longer bother with soap and water scrubbing unless I've got reason to think something's sticking on the figures. Soap and water scrub helps with the Bones hydrophobia, the alcohol is even better. I keep a little Tupperware of it and some tongs for dipping.

Werkrobotwerk - have you checked pharmacies in your area lately? In the first few months it was off the shelves of mine, but recently I've seen it again. And some on Amazon as well. In the meantime just the soap and water will help. Scrub a little with a toothbrush if you can. 

It hasn't been posted to YouTube yet, but you can watch my stuff that works on Bones video from ReaperCon 2020 on the Twitch channel currently. The prep snakes weren't completely cooperative in showing how effective the alcohol rinse can be. (There is some variation in the plastic mix so occasionally you get a Bones that's more hydrophobic.) The Zoom version of the class I did in a previous session that was not recorded, of course the prep figures worked exactly as I expected. ;->

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/733392832?filter=archives&sort=time

yeah unfortunately they've got none other than mixed into hand sanitizer. There's a big sign sitting where it goes. I'll take a look on line later, but in the meantime I guess I just stick with the soap and scrubbing.

Pfft, I cannot use my supply of 91 percent alcohol on mini's, I need all I have for electronics prep/cleaning work for all my system mods:) If I could get 96 or 99, that would be even better. I have not had any issues just using soap and water, then hitting them with *gasp* a stynlrez prime through airbrush:)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Fnordlover said:

I recently bought some medical grade isopropyl alcohol from Jeff Bezos. I figure since it's over 99.9% pure alcohol that I can dilute it and it will be enough to last me for life. Sadly I didn't get a chance to put it into routine use before disaster struck.

Hehe, nice way to not mention that river site:)

• Like 2