Sign in to follow this  
Ratmaster2000

How many collect Dice like they collect Mini's?

So, I just got an e-mail from easy dice roller about their buy one get one random dice set, and even though I hardly game and I need another set like a hole in my head, I may order 4 sets just because. If I can find my old dice bag, I have like 15 sets in there (including the 2 sets from the basic and advanced boxes)  on top of my 8 I have now because I cannot find my old bag haha. So, who else collects dice like mini's??

• Like 8

I usually 'collect' or get new dice when mine go cold... I do have a buddy who buys a new set for each new Campaign, he has a lot of dice.

• Like 7

A 'normal' convention purchase for me is dice; if I don't come home from a convention with dice, it means there really were no dice that even slightly appealed to me. 

So, uh.. I might have a lot of dice. 

I've gotten into a habit of keeping an eye out for .. I guess you might say 'exotic' dice. Stuff like the crystal dice - the ones that were shaped like crystals, or different metal dice, or .. well, I nobbled a nice set of the Rogue dice the last time they did a kickstarter. I prefer, however, to get my weird dice in person; so I rarely jump on kickstarters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Not quite? Maybe? Sort of.

I'unno. I'm not the mini collector I was; minus Bones 5 I've spent more on dice than minis the last couple years.

I guess not. I've never been into dice Kickstarters or the like. I just have more than I need.

So, no. Thank you for sticking around while I figured this out.

I'm way worse about books and maps and stuff.

Still tho. You got some dice for sale?

235EDDEF-105F-483F-A377-645B899B19CB.jpeg.36da38de44ee72fe27e137a2ccd80ecd.jpeg

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

>Tentatively raises a tentacle and waves it about.<

Since I've been gaming off and on for more than 40 years I've managed to accumulate a "few" dice.

Does anybody carry a D20 as a pocket piece?  I do.

GEM

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Since I've been gaming off and on for more than 40 years I've managed to accumulate a "few" dice.

GEM

Not in my pocket but there is a set of dice in my travel backpack and another in my desk at work...

I went through an exotic dice phase... I think I'm better now...

• Like 7

I bought a new set the other week because they went well with the new set I got when I rolled up my current D&D character.  Note that we've been playing using Astral Tabletop since March so I don't actually USE any dice when playing.

I don't have as many dice as I have miniatures....but I have a lot of miniatures.

I expect my dice count and paint count are fairly similar though.

I don't carry a d20 in my pocket but usually have a set (or 5) in my backpack.

• Like 6

I have....many dice.  One of those parts organizers full, plus some other (actually closer to a dozen) sets that don't fit.

I have  two or three sets in my back pack next to me at work as I type.  

I only have two metal sets and a pewter d2 (it's a d4 but you read the points; either concave or convex) for weird materials.  My Dungeon Dice have been rolling really well so I've been using them of late.

• Like 7

I have a "few" dice, to say the least - a whole Plano box full of them, sorted by type and size...  One of the things I used to always buy when I regularly frequented hobby/gaming stores was to pick up 1-3 dice that looked particularly interesting to me... 

• Like 6

I've essentially stopped collecting dice when I graduated 15-20 years ago and bought myself a Chessex Pound-O'-Dice. After that, any new dice were mostly promotional items. Generally d20s, but a few complete sets like the Dragon Dice.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7

*raises both hands*

I'm a sucker for pretty dice, and have acquired...many 20's of them. :lol: I really need to start avoiding Kickstarter, I never know when another sparkly, shiny, colorful or unusual set will jump out of the screen at me. :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 6

I do have/buy a lot of dice, but a couple decades ago I gave myself a restriction/justification that has worked pretty well so far. 

I only buy new dice for a new RPG character or a new minis game army/force, so that every character/army has their own set of dice. 

I did break this a couple years ago when I bought a large lot of RPG dice sets on Amazon to hand out to the kids in the D&D group I was running at the high school.  I justified that by telling myself it would help prevent theft or loss of *my* dice. 

• Like 8

My dice to mini ratio is as a puddle is to a lake. I just don't feel drawn to them, I'd rather spend the money on a new mini. I also haven't played a game requiring my dice in almost 6-7 years, so that factors into it.

I've known people who are compelled to buy dice, and I don't judge. Ok, one time I judged a dice purchase: my brother bought a set of dice at a convention called Precision Dice or some such nonsense. The seller at the booth told him they were guaranteed to have equal probability for all sides (beginning to see why I was judging?).

When he showed them to me, they still had bits of the sprue attached to them. I asked him "what the heck?" and he said "oh the guy told me I'd have to remove those and use a little sandpaper to smooth it out." We thus engaged in quite a lengthy debate on how they couldn't possibly be guaranteed to have equal probability if he had to do any form of work on them; he could snip or sand off too much or too little... there was a lot of judging going on about that purchase.

• Like 8

I have a nice drawstring bag of dice and a bowl full of "if you losers forgot to bring your dice" spares. I haven't bought myself proper dice in a while though. Last year I did pick up some pyrite and fluorite and garnets as mineral "dice" because they form nice polyhedra.

I was also recently informed by a dice-goblin that one of my favorite d20s is now worth over $100.... kinda silly, but hey, if I suddenly need cash, nice to have the option of selling that instead of my better kidney?

• Like 7

I collect dice, nothing like how I collect miniatures, but I've got a pretty healthy collection.

14 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

Not only a d20, but a d6 as well.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1