How many collect Dice like they collect Mini's?

I wouldn't say that I collect them, but I do have a tendency to pick up a set when one strikes my fancy or when I feel I haven't purchased anything at the FLGS in "too long."  Whatever time measurement that happens to be.  I gave one of those sets to Eldest as she had been talking with some of their friends and they were talking about starting a campaign.

I picked up extra sets for Imperial Assault, so that every player could have a set (actually, I "need" another set to go to the full 5).

I also picked up a "small amount" (around 20, or so), D6s to use as counters for when we playing the Babylon 5 CCG.  And some D10s for Imperial Assault (so I don't need to punch out the strain and health counters).

I did do a dice Kickstarter for some C'Thulhu themed dice, but didn't do any of their follow-ups.  That's the only dice KS I've done.

And I've had my eye on Artisan Dice's Bison Horn and Olive Wood sets that I haven't purchased and probably won't.  I'd like to, but that pesky "rational argument" garbage keeps getting the better of me.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, strawhat said:

I gave one of those sets to Eldest as she had been talking with some of their friends and they were talking about starting a campaign.

If I may, I'd just like to take a moment to comment that I find it particularly awesome to see parents sharing their love and encouragement of the hobby and gaming with their kids, and finding that both boys and girls are finding enjoyment in it. Coming from a large family, I rarely got to share in hobbies with mine since they always had work around the household to do (don't feel sorry for me, I had four older siblings to occupy me).

You all deserve an award... at the very least, perhaps a new set of dice for yourself. :winkthumbs:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've helped keep Chessex in business the last few years. Even when I wasn't gaming on a regular basis, I'd buy at least 1 set of Chessex dice (thou couple of years I did get Pathfinder - Q Workshop sets) a year. Now I'll just grab a set if I like em. Heck I even went in for 50 - 60 bucks on metal Pathfinder dice thru Kickstarter!! & to be honest, I'm not a metal dice person!! :rock:

Finally acquired a D30 earlier this month. I'll probably never use it but eh, why the hell not.

• Like 8

I do have a d24, a d30, and a d100.

I have a garnet that could be a d12 of a different configuration (diamond faces, not pentagonal), pyrite d6s, fluorite d8s, a magnetite d8.... haven't numbered them yet, but they have the shape naturally!

May end up with more plastic dice at some point if I spend time at a hobby shop and need to offer a thanks-for-hosting purchase, but I don't really crave them lately. Carved stone dice.... yes... yes please. However, it is immediately apparent that the groups making stone dice have ZERO clue what materials are natural, what are synthetic, what the physical properties are, what the rarity of the stones are, or how they should be appraised. It is somewhat appalling.

• Like 7
  • Forum Mascot

I may have a significant collection of Koplow gem dice.  I may also have had these put out in a candy dish on the coffee table to torture visitors because at a quick glance they look like tasty Jolly Ranchers but then turn out to be all disappointment.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
On 9/28/2020 at 3:01 PM, Chaoswolf said:

I collect dice, nothing like how I collect miniatures, but I've got a pretty healthy collection.

Not only a d20, but a d6 as well.

Yeah, that's me.

Didn't think about the d6 because there are a lot of non RPG gamers who carry six sided dice with them, usually in sets of two.

There's also the metal tin full of mini/micro dice that stays in the kit that is always in whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time.

So I guess I'm one of those "Have dice will travel" kinda guys.

GEM

Plus the polished obsidian lump and the quartz crystal, and the two leatherman tools, and a folding knife, and a zippo, and a handkerchief, oh- and my wallet.

• Like 5

Am I compelled to buy dice?

Ever see that Mel Gibson movie Conspiracy Theory? ::D:

Actually, I'm not really a dice hoarder - I've given away a full set of dice to each of the 30 or so people I've taught to play D&D, so that's about 210 gone right there, and years ago I threw away a big box of about 40 standard white D6's from various boardgames. Random guess at how many I've lost over the years would be about...eh, 20-ish?

However, whenever I happen to be someplace that sells dice, like my FLGS or the local Game Exchange, If I'm not planning to buy anything else I'll usually pick out a pretty die or two just to throw them some business.

I don't have an accurate count at the moment of my current collection, but a rough estimate would be about 425-430 or so...

On 9/28/2020 at 1:04 AM, Sylverthorne said:

I've gotten into a habit of keeping an eye out for .. I guess you might say 'exotic' dice.

I've started collecting sets with pretty colors - my latest sets include a translucent four-color fade (magenta, orange, amber yellow, cyan) and some "galaxy" pattern dice (translucent glitter two-color swirl, colors based on astronomic stuff like the Horsehead Nebula)...

Other interesting stuff:

I have a number of really small dice, the smallest set is about 6mm.

I have a number of larger dice - some 1.5-inch D20's, and an orange foam 3-inch D20 that apparently came out of a Loot Crate, although I bought it online for like $3...

I've got the typical D30 and D100, but I also have a D24 and a pentagonal D7 as well.

I own a pair of D6's where one has negative odd numbers and the other has negative even numbers.

I have a D6 with Breast Cancer Awareness ribbons for the pips, a couple with various pictures instead of a 6, and another that has the names of the numbers spelled out in Turkish...

You've probably seen the D6 inside of another D6, or the D20 inside of another D20, but I also own a double D10 and a double D12.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6
22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

If I may, I'd just like to take a moment to comment that I find it particularly awesome to see parents sharing their love and encouragement of the hobby and gaming with their kids, and finding that both boys and girls are finding enjoyment in it. Coming from a large family, I rarely got to share in hobbies with mine since they always had work around the household to do (don't feel sorry for me, I had four older siblings to occupy me).

You all deserve an award... at the very least, perhaps a new set of dice for yourself. :winkthumbs:

I never taught her to play D&D proper (tabletop), but we did work a bit on the miniature game.

I couldn't quite connect with Youngest, though.  But Granddaughter (Youngest's child) loves watching Opa roll dice.  She has since she first went mobile, and she's now got a handful of D6 that I purchased to play Battletech one night when I didn't have any dice with me.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

There's also the metal tin full of mini/micro dice that stays in the kit that is always in whatever vehicle I'm driving at the time.

So I guess I'm one of those "Have dice will travel" kinda guys”.

I have a Tiny All Rolled Up dice organizer that moves around between my briefcase and my travel carry-on as needed.  

2B1CF66C-7405-4345-8036-93902075AEA8.jpeg.c14c7237877f89deccb7e508eee79615.jpeg

Opened up, there’s a pocketmod printout of Fate Accelerated (just in case), a pen, a pencil, a small stack of 2.5x3 cards, and the dice. The dice are a set of Fate dice, 5 black and red “Traveller” d6s, and one set of tiny polyhedrals.

So, yes, also “have dice, will travel”.

04501332-AE06-4F77-B51B-81E6BB0DBE2A.jpeg

• Like 8