Sign in to follow this  
Extrabio47

Did Reaper Drop Paint Colors Unannounced?

I would say this exactly the way the have always handled be it paints or miniatures.

When it come to combining our orders to make a big batch of paint, maybe adopting something like GMT's P500 pre-order system?

The downfall to it is I've been waiting for a pair of expansions going on 2 years because there's so little interest, but at least buying 10 isn't a requirement.  There are too many colors on that list I use for me to buy 10 each.

Do we have any idea on when we will know which colors are being eliminated vs. replaced (if any, that is)?  There are just so many paints that are part of triads that it seems weird.

I mean, now that the shock has worn off, if "Color X" is being replaced by "Adjective Color X" then there's not much reason to get excited because I'm pretty sure Reaper would try to approximate "Color X" (maybe lighter, maybe darker, or just shifted a bit toward another color) when it came to replacing.

I'm very happy that Reaper is willing to do some special batches.  I doubt I would ever need it/have the capacity to participate, but if a not-horribly-complicated system could be put in place that would accept "timed pre-orders" (i.e. You have "this many" days to generate pre-orders for "Color" of "YYY" number of bottles--basically a Kickstarter) that would be pretty cool...getting the word out might be tricky, though.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

This would likely run afoul of the 'no trading' rules of the forums, I agree that an offline list and maybe keeping discussion on Discord? might be warranted.. but @Reaper_Jon would be the ultimate arbiter on how allowable that would be

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my intent, but I was not saying we should have one person do a large order and then ship out to others and trade.  It's more of a community answer of "hey we have 10 people interested in this color", so let's all agree to order it around the same day so that Reaper does one run of it and perhaps saves them some effort as opposed to orders coming in apart and doing multiple runs.  I'm just trying to perhaps same them some color change effort since they are willing to provide this service.  Also it perhaps shows them what colors really are missed and maybe they would consider bringing back at some time, even if only as a special edition for an event.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Harrek said:

Also it perhaps shows them what colors really are missed and maybe they would consider bringing back at some time, even if only as a special edition for an event.

And if they do this, they really really REALLY need to have it also happen at a time when colder climates are able to safely order such... Or offer us next day international shipping, preferably with some sort of insulation against the cold.  FedEx or UPS International Economy would be epic for shipments.. 

I wanted to keep pushing for a limited edition paints release in summer (that Ron on stream called "Christmas in July" if I remember correctly) but once I saw how things were going with staffing and logistics at my job back in March I decided I wasn't going to bring it up as an idea, and I'm glad I didn't pester him, Jon, and Justin because in all honesty, they had enough to deal with working out various logistical things. 

I'd still love such to happen, but I'll probably campaign for such next year. 

The idea of having a timed window for special ordered paints is also interesting, doubly so if they would be able to leverage the framework they have with the Kickstarter pledge manager... With an obvious caveat of if the particular paint doesn't reach the threshold you could get a store credit for such. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 12:59 PM, strawhat said:

Do we have any idea on when we will know which colors are being eliminated vs. replaced (if any, that is)?  There are just so many paints that are part of triads that it seems weird.

I mean, now that the shock has worn off, if "Color X" is being replaced by "Adjective Color X" then there's not much reason to get excited because I'm pretty sure Reaper would try to approximate "Color X" (maybe lighter, maybe darker, or just shifted a bit toward another color) when it came to replacing.

I'm very happy that Reaper is willing to do some special batches.  I doubt I would ever need it/have the capacity to participate, but if a not-horribly-complicated system could be put in place that would accept "timed pre-orders" (i.e. You have "this many" days to generate pre-orders for "Color" of "YYY" number of bottles--basically a Kickstarter) that would be pretty cool...getting the word out might be tricky, though.

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/47388-alternates-and-replacements-for-discontinued-paint-colors/

Will try and keep this updated.. Anne is also going to be doing some stuff on her Patreon on how to mix some of these colors

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Found this on the Front Page of the website:

MSP Core Colors Brought Back for a Limited Time

October 6th, 2020

Dear Customers,
After reviewing our remaining inventory of recently retired MSP Core Colors Paints, we’ve decided to extend the availability of some of those colors. This limited inventory will be available beginning October 7 at 6:00 PM central time.

However, there are two caveats:
The remaining paint inventory will only be available until October 31, 2020
or
While supplies last; when an item sells through, it will be removed from our website.
So this is the last chance to get these paints - but inventory is super limited! The numbers are listed below for your convenience.
If you do not see a paint listed below, that color is already sold out or unavailable.

9073 Chestnut Gold
9093 Golden Highlight
9121 Khaki Shadow
9142 Stained Ivory
9157 Olive Shadow
9175 Swamp Green
9177 Camouflage Green
9210 Red Ink
9220 Olive Skin Shadow
9222 Olive Skin Highlight
9223 Redstone Shadow
9224 Redstone
9226 Peacock Green
9229 Worn Navy
9230 Soft Blue
9232 Bright Skin Shadow
9233 Bright Skin
9234 Bright Skin Highlight
9235 Red Shadow
9236 Black Green
9237 Violet Shadow
9238 Regal Purple
9244 Muddy Soil
9249 Sandy Brown
9250 Dusky Skin Shadow
9251 Dusky Skin
9252 Dusky Skin Highlight
9265 Deep Twilight
9266 Violet Light
9267 Sunset Purple
9268 Volcano Brown
9269 Military Blue
9270 Shadow Green
9271 Dirty Bone
9272 Graveyard Bone
9273 Splintered Bone
9277 Spattered Crimson
9282 Maggot White
9283 Old West Rose
9284 Lone Star Leather
9285 Denim Blue
9291 IMEF Olive
9292 Bathalian Chitin
9293 Alien Flesh
9295 Rach Red
9296 Malvernian Purple
9297 Adonese Green
9307 Red Liner

Thanks to all of our customers for their feedback!

• Like 7

@Reaper_Jon Please thank the powers that be for this new decision. This was all we wanted - to be given a heads up and the chance to stock up on paints that will be missed. This is much appreciated.

• Like 6

You all realize that there is not another company in the world that would do this, right?

• Like 4

I was going to do Pokemon Go Raid hour tonight.. but I may need to come home early.. even though there are only a couple on that list I use

4 hours ago, Heisler said:

You all realize that there is not another company in the world that would do this, right?

If they had leftover stock sitting around in the warehouse why would anyone NOT put it up for sale just to get rid of discontinued product? I got a lot of Vallejo Model Color a few years back for $1 a  bottle when a certain online vendor stopped carrying it. Happens more often than you think.  

I've raided my FLGS again today, but there's a few on the list they never stocked, and since we didn't get down to Denton to shop this year I'm hoping to snag some colors I can't get locally. 

• Like 3

I already picked up most of the ones I wanted from alternative vendors. I didn't think Reaper was going to do this, based on the first information release. So, I suppose I spent that money with someone else in the week or so between announcements. Oh well. I'm glad they backtracked a bit. It's really a lot better way to handle it.

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

If they had leftover stock sitting around in the warehouse why would anyone NOT put it up for sale just to get rid of discontinued product? I got a lot of Vallejo Model Color a few years back for $1 a  bottle when a certain online vendor stopped carrying it. Happens more often than you think.  

I've raided my FLGS again today, but there's a few on the list they never stocked, and since we didn't get down to Denton to shop this year I'm hoping to snag some colors I can't get locally. 

That’s a vendor not the manufacturer. I have been buying Vallejo paints for probably 30 years. During that time I never remember receiving any kind of notice, from Vallejo, when a paint has gone out of production, nor have I seen a notice on a forum indicating such (and I’m on a lot of military modeling forums). 

I have received notices from vendors, but I’m not aware of a manufacturer doing it. I suppose you could say that GW has done it when they have completely replaced their entire paint line. GW has definitely dropped colors without notification to anyone. The fact that Reaper has even offered to make a batch of paint, within restrictions, is unheard of. No company responds like Reaper does regardless of what you might think of their decisions. If Reaper wants to write off paint that’s their decision to make,  we don’t even know how much is there, it could be just a couple dozen paints total.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 4