Reaper Challenge League! 2021

1 minute ago, AstleyTheMonk said:

From my understanding - anyone who paints a model beginning of this year January for instance - can repost it end of the year sometime in December for credit.  We are not setting strict confirmation or verification that it be painted 365 days apart this year.  It's about seeing the growth over the year.  As per the RCL notes in Discord -  "Aim for January/December"

It's only redeemable for credit once per year though per person.  

Right, so if you can only do it once a year and it is supposed to show growth from year to year, if I paint something I painted last year, to me, that is following what the rules say. That is why I was asking for clarification. I am not the only one who has asked so the rule is a bit ambiguous. "Aim for January/December" doesn't really clarify as people tried posting things this month and were told to wait to post both minis at the same time in December. In that case, it should just say "Post both of your minis in December."  So everyone doing the RCL should have all painted a mini on January 1 and then everyone posts on December 31? That seems silly and also would probably be after the quarterly and yearly raffles. If you painted at the end of January and posted on December 1, that's not 365 days. See what I'm saying? Maybe I am reading too much into it but I tend to be a pretty literal person.

• Like 2
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read some weird stuff man. That could be fun. 

Important dates that are coming up!   Submissions for quarter 1 and march are due by 11:59 pm CT on Sunday March 28th 2021. We will start the Raffles on Monday March 29th. (At this time we will a

Wanted to give an update on the Limited palette, black and white are allowed with your three other colors! 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Pochi said:

Right, so if you can only do it once a year and it is supposed to show growth from year to year, if I paint something I painted last year, to me, that is following what the rules say. That is why I was asking for clarification. I am not the only one who has asked so the rule is a bit ambiguous. "Aim for January/December" doesn't really clarify as people tried posting things this month and were told to wait to post both minis at the same time in December. In that case, it should just say "Post both of your minis in December."  So everyone doing the RCL should have all painted a mini on January 1 and then everyone posts on December 31? That seems silly and also would probably be after the quarterly and yearly raffles. If you painted at the end of January and posted on December 1, that's not 365 days. See what I'm saying? Maybe I am reading too much into it but I tend to be a pretty literal person.

I think that may be the case.  I get how the word choice of the '365' phrasing can seem a bit more precise in tone.  I do not believe that was the intent originally, and I've asked in the Mod Channel in Discord for some clarification of the intent right now.

But I believe we have already specified to people who have asked in Discord that the 365 category did not need to be a literal year, and that they could paint something in January and post the follow-up in December.  So a few people have already begun that process. It wasn't that you needed to paint Jan. 1st and Dec. 31st.  If you painted in January and posted anytime in December it would count.

As for the challenge league raffle points and drawings:

"Each quarter, a RCL raffle shall be held during the last seven days. This ensures that people have ample time to enter tickets or finish any entries so your points may be exchanged into tickets.  On the last day of the quarter, the raffle will be drawn, and winners posted.

At the end of the year a larger raffle will occur that accounts all accrued points points you have earned yearly (spent and unspent). "

So you can post earlier in December, and enter the points before the drawings at the very end of the year for the quarterly/yearly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification. Literal OCD brain sees things one way and it takes a bit to convince it that a different way is ok. lol  Hmmm, ok, rethinking my plan now. I am placing a Reaper order and could order the same two minis to paint for this but it will take at least a month to get here.

Thanks! I'll figure it out!

• Like 3
  • Super Administrators
Hey everyone! The RCL has started strong, there are hundreds of submissions already in and its exciting to see what everyone is working on in the #challenge-wips. One of the highlights i think is people forming large groups for the quarterly submissions. So shout out to everyone painting stuff and getting through these personal challenges! We have had some questions about certain aspects and we have made a few changes here and there for some clarifications and people asking questions on the forums and discord. So i have started collecting a FAQ and will be adding it to the info page soon but here are some quick little snippets ETC.

All models that are submitted for the RCL should be painted this year! 2021

Limited Palette
We are working on a list to have later this week of available shades per color, so that there is a lot less confusion on what colors are available. There should be plenty of options to choose from so you can look through your collection to paint with!

Duo, Trio, Large Group
We have found its easier for one person to submit the pictures and tag their partner(s) for the Duo's Trio's and Large group
Recent New Release
This includes the current month, and two months back. We have had some questions on how this will work for Kickstarter since they are not technically released. We will make an additional event revolving around Bones 5 KS models as we get closer

Diorama -
Medium/large decorated base, 2 or more models that tells a story. You can use 1 model that you painted in a previous RCL challenge, the rest of the diorama's pieces will need to be non-RCL submissions.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question. If a fraction of a very large model was painted in a previous year, but I finish it this year, could it be counted? Specifically, I did ma'al's wings and base in 2018, then between having  to move my painting setup downstairs and losing mom in 2019, I never got to the rest of him.  If I did, could I count him as anything at all?  It's still enough surface area to count as a large model. 

Edited by ejala
Typo
  • Like 2

I think the "has to be painted in 2021" is a rule made to reduce people posting old photos of old minis, or just grabbing what finished minis they have on the shelf and posting those. The point would be to encourage people to paint their minis.

I would argue that as long as you finished it in 2021, it is good to go for the challenges.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Second question, asked on discord but didn't see an answer:  For limited palette months that specify a white/black, do we still get a free white and black to use? For instance, Dec. is black, grey, and white.  The rules look like I could use two blacks, a grey, and two whites, but that also seems weird, so I'm confused.

• Like 1
  • Super Administrators
11 hours ago, ejala said:

Second question, asked on discord but didn't see an answer:  For limited palette months that specify a white/black, do we still get a free white and black to use? For instance, Dec. is black, grey, and white.  The rules look like I could use two blacks, a grey, and two whites, but that also seems weird, so I'm confused.

Yeah the list was made, then we decided to add the ability to use black adn white. So that being said, you can use two blacks, grey, and two whites. 

• Like 2

It can make sense. Consider that the "same" colour can have different base mixes, for example blacks where some are bluish, some are brownish,  some are greenish when thinned. By the same token, most whites are different shades of offwhite.

This can be a source to get in tints of colour while still keeping to the rules.

• Like 2

Question about the quarterly contest category... Does the model in question actually have to be posted to the FBook contest in order to use it on the discord challenge?  For instance, would I have had to enter the Avatar of Rage in the FBook contest to get the discord points? I haven't been on FBook in a long time and don't have any plans to change that. It's fine if that's a requirement, just want to know before I start putting together a February order. Thanks and sorry if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it.

• Like 2
  • Super Administrators
2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question about the quarterly contest category... Does the model in question actually have to be posted to the FBook contest in order to use it on the discord challenge?  For instance, would I have had to enter the Avatar of Rage in the FBook contest to get the discord points? I haven't been on FBook in a long time and don't have any plans to change that. It's fine if that's a requirement, just want to know before I start putting together a February order. Thanks and sorry if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it.

You dont have t enter it into the FB contest to get points for the RCL. It is just the model in question, so someone who doesnt feel comfortable entering into the Quarterly or misses the date, can still turn it in to get RCL points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Administrators
12 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

@Reaper_Jon Does new Releases for Feb include November since December only shows as one new mini released on the New Releases page?

it includes Jan, and Dec. whatever released in those months. (I would even take the Christmas minis)

• Like 1