Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

Do you have a go to snack food? Salty? Sweet? Does it depend on what you're drinking with it?

With the whole "cutting carbs" regimen, the vast majority of desirable snack foods are off the list.

Currently, it's peanuts (honey roasted, or mixed with various seasonings); aged cheddar slices; deli meat slices; and occasionally a pinch of dark chocolate chips. If I can find them, then pork rinds are a good mix of low carb, salty, crunchy and fatty texture my mouth craves.

Normally, my choice of drinks is influenced by the snacks, not the other way around.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hmm, I would like a recipe for that, I'm willing to try new things and love to cook.

Totally easy.  Here's how I make it:

Maast-o khiar

1 medium to large cucumber, finely diced (I use a food processor)

1/2 cup walnuts, finely diced

2-3 tablespoons dried mint

1 3/4 - 2 cups plain Greek yogurt

1 teaspoon salt

dried & crushed rose petals as desired

(optional) raisins

Typically served with lavash, which is a thin Persian bread that is sold frozen and that you warm up in a 400F pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes.  The quantities given will make enough for 2-3 decent snacks for 2 people, or as a side dish for a meal with 4-6. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, VitM said:

Totally easy.  Here's how I make it:

Maast-o khiar

1 medium to large cucumber, finely diced (I use a food processor)

1/2 cup walnuts, finely diced

2-3 tablespoons dried mint

1 3/4 - 2 cups plain Greek yogurt

1 teaspoon salt

dried & crushed rose petals as desired

(optional) raisins

Typically served with lavash, which is a thin Persian bread that is sold frozen and that you warm up in a 400F pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes.  The quantities given will make enough for 2-3 decent snacks for 2 people, or as a side dish for a meal with 4-6. 

Cool!

Thank you!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

Do you have a go to snack food? Salty? Sweet? Does it depend on what you're drinking with it?

My tastes change according to my mood, and I like to try new things. My current favourite is pickled lupini beans.

• Like 8

October 7

For snacks, I tend towards savory over sweet. It might be beverage-dependent, but I am almost always drinking plain old water at snack time.

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have an issue where I flush sodium too fast, so I always crave salt.  If I don't get enough, I can pass out, so I fairly regularly eat salty food.  I love salty crunchy things, like chips and popcorn.  I try to limit the chips as they make me really fat, though if I could, I'd eat French Onion potato chips or Cool Ranch Doritos constantly.  Typically, my daily go to is popcorn.

I wish we could trade for a day.

My body manages sodium *pretty* well, but a really salty meal can lead to mild swelling due to retained fluids. It's not likely to have serious short-term effects on me, but it's something to watch. If it starts happening regularly, it's badTM.

• Like 7

October 7

Angie's Boom Chicka Pop popcorn, now that I don't have a stove which can do good stove-top popcorn.

Pita chips and hummus. SO MUCH HUMMUS.

I'd go for chips and salsa but I've hurt my mouth on those a few too many times.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

Popcorn or lay’s baked chips, loaded baked potato flavor.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

Mixed nuts, trail mix, dry fruit, granola bars.

I also really love Snyder's honey mustard pretzel bits.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

Generally go for something sweet, but it varies in phases between the healthy (fruit) vs unhealthy (processed American high sugar treats). Sometimes I do enjoy a good hummus veggie wrap though.

I miss the days when my body could consider an entire thin crust pizza a snack. :mellow:

• Like 8

8 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Just wait until you move on to the "b" section of the library. It'll blow your mind.

Don't even get me started on "c"...

Wow, it's gonna be awhile till he hit's ZZ top!!

Guilty music pleasure is probably I like Kelly Clarkson, especially her "rock" album she put out a few years ago.

Snacks: Probably chips but it seem like cheese sticks a my son likes those & they are always in the fridge. Thou, we can never have chips & salsa at the same time in this house!!!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

Popcorn

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

Not really, it depends on what's going cheap at the grocery store, at the moment it's bbq beef flavoured Hula Hoops.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

Not really, it depends on what's going cheap at the grocery store, at the moment it's bbq beef flavoured Hula Hoops.

BBQ flavored.... what now?

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 7

I don't do snacks very often, so when I do it is usually something I haven't had in the last six months.

• Like 7

Question for October 8th (early cause tomorrow is gonna be a day)

What's your perfect bowl of ice cream? (or other traditional end of meal dessert)

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 4