Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 9th

Failure. It happens. It sucks. You move on and overcome.

What was the last thing you failed at, tried again, and got it right?

Threw myself at the ground, missed. I am now flying.

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

At the moment I am engaged in the eternal struggle that is super-gluing together metal minis.

For me at least, this always involves a lot of failing and non-swearing before it works out.

I feel this... Even after washing, scrubbing, and sometimes pinning, it still feels like 50/50 on whether the glue will stick the mini together or stick it to me.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I feel this... Even after washing, scrubbing, and sometimes pinning, it still feels like 50/50 on whether the glue will stick the mini together or stick it to me.

Oh, 100% the glue sticks to me.  It just sometimes sticks to the mini as well.

• Haha 13

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 9th

Built (populated) a circuit card incorrectly due to using a part which had been erroneously issued for this particular job. I failed to verify it was the correct piece before soldering it in. 

No real harm was done (other than to my pride); we have a particularly strict testing and verification system that we adhere to to ensure that mistakes do not go out the door. The system worked and the mistake was discovered in testing. After determining the problem, I fixed it.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 10

Most recent failure was today.  We replaced a rotary joint yesterday on a periscope that had dead spots where RF wouldn't pass when the scope was turned to certain bearings.  It was tested today and it still had the problem.  I tested the one we pulled out as bad, and it passed all tests with flying colors.

Good news is that we think we have found the culprit. Bad news is that is a much more involved job and will take a bunch more time.  I'll get to vent over it in the Randomness over the next couple of weeks, I am sure.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Most recent failure was today.  We replaced a rotary joint yesterday on a periscope that had dead spots where RF wouldn't pass when the scope was turned to certain bearings.  It was tested today and it still had the problem.  I tested the one we pulled out as bad, and it passed all tests with flying colors.

Good news is that we think we have found the culprit. Bad news is that is a much more involved job and will take a bunch more time.  I'll get to vent over it in the Randomness over the next couple of weeks, I am sure.

Bummer. The fault is in the sail rather than in the scope?

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 9th

I fail... constantly. I keep going, sometimes I let it go for a bit, but then I return. I write code for a living, I'm a mom, I lift weights, I'm a martial artist, I paint... it is all about try, fail, try again, repeat until you succeed. The martial arts quote is "Fall down seven times, get up eight." Words to live by, there is always something new to fail at.

• Like 11

What was the last thing you failed at, tried again, and got it right?

hmm

Fixing my dripping shower.  Today. 

3 trips to Home Depot, 75$ parts  12$ new tools. 

it took about 4 hours - without problems it would have been 45min 

and i installed the temp control upside down.  

I installed it right right the first time, and lost hot water.  Installed upside down it works fine. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

On 10/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, Chaoswolf said:

@TGPis chocolate with Jack Daniels something that I should keep an eye out for once I move to Fort Worth? Where might I find it?

PM with Intel sent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Question for 20201010

"Man plans, god laughs"

What's a memorable plan you'd made that got laughed at rather spectacularly?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for 20201010

"Man plans, god laughs"

October 2018-

Me: Gee, that weird Japanese dark idol group I'm into will be in town for the Cthulhu film festival thing. Maybe I'll go see them.

My appendix: *super villain laugh* Think again!

Yeah... Out of work for five days and a medical bill that would have been almost $30k without insurance later, I didn't go. And then one of the people I really liked in that group left a few months later.

Edit: that was exactly two years ago today. And I'm still paying off my bill...

Edited by CaptainPete
Forgot the irony
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 11

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 20201010

"Man plans, god laughs"

Are we talking about being laughed at on a cosmic level?

I was supposed to go to Niagara Falls with my then-fiancee... then the pain I had been having in my groin for months finally was correctly diagnosed as hernias and I had to have the repair surgery done the week of the trip (and this was after 6 months of being told I didn't have hernias by four previous doctors).

Oh, and then there was the time I had plans to move states to finally be with previous stated then-fiancee, and my mother got very sick, so I stayed to take care of her (dad was working in a different state, and then-fiancee was onboard with my staying to help)... I got injured again during that, with no diagnosis yet again (injury still plagues me)... and then a year and a half later, by the time I finally could and did make the move, six weeks later then-fiancee decided she wanted to be ex-fiancee.

If there is a divine or cosmic entity, it has the best cable tv package available: each of our lives is a reality show, and it has billions of channels to keep it entertained.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 20201010

"Man plans, god laughs"

Making bad decisions of the sort that wake me up in the middle of the night is one of my fortes.

Example: I got my draft notice. We were at the time busily engaged in Vietnam, AND they were drafting for the USMC.

Of the many things I could imagine myself being, a United States Marine didn't appear. SO I enlisted in the Navy & was promised Journalist school &  a requested duty station....they call this a dream sheet; re, if you think you are getting it, you are dreaming. They made me a corpsman & assigned me to Fleet Marine.

As an aside, I liked the Marine Corps far more than the Navy...go figure.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 20201010

"Man plans, god laughs"

As an adult? I don't recall anything of the sort outside of deciding what we want for dinner.

As a child, my parents never quite agreed to the idea of making a hole in the floor so we could install a fireman pole.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9