Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Haminister blinks wearily at the cold wet Monday morning. The Big Apple, The City That Never Sleeps, The City So Nice, They Named It Twice, Gotham is blanketed by a grey rain, and the skyline is obscured of it's usual glittering beauty. 

Question for Monday, October 12th

Most places have a nickname...

Share a real nickname from  the place you live (or lived) 

What would be a more appropriate nickname for it?

Bonus question: Have you ever given a nickname to a fictional place? Say in a story you've written or in an RPG you've played, and if so, what was it?

Don't recall anything unusual. Shortened names were most common, or official nicknames that everyone knows already.

But for a specific place, it would be my hometown's knackery. A place that disposes and renders animal carcasses for byproducts. We called it "Couture les Os" or "Bones Couture" after the owner's family name and the distinct foul odor that came from the plant on summer evenings when they opened up the doors to ventilate. It took decades of regulation and retooling to get the smell under control.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Haminister blinks wearily at the cold wet Monday morning. The Big Apple, The City That Never Sleeps, The City So Nice, They Named It Twice, Gotham is blanketed by a grey rain, and the skyline is obscured of it's usual glittering beauty. 

Bonus question: Have you ever given a nickname to a fictional place? Say in a story you've written or in an RPG you've played, and if so, what was it?

I was born and raised on a wee place called Skye, it's nickname is The Isle of the Mists. This is how it's shown in the travel sites.

fairy-pools-isle-of-skye-scotland.thumb.jpg.923fa6622385f5e66d6b1412b9049317.jpg

58bckdk8j8l11.thumb.jpg.bf3c460cd4e750ac592a3550073dd6d5.jpg

B4A8638.thumb.jpg.e8ca5939b398df96d4368eea3980124f.jpg

In reality, it should be called The Isle of the Never-ending Rain :rolleyes:. You're lucky if you get one good day a month, and that's in the summer!

Most tourists photos look like this. I feel sorry for people that spend lots of money to get there.

596694192_OIP(69).jpeg.4959b7d9ca06debd412a11155ce4270b.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

Nothing too exciting for Saint John....The Port City, for obvious reasons.

More unusually, perhaps, the traditional downtown core is called Uptown, presumably because its on a hill?

In RPGs we usually play published modules, which also go to great effort to name places with "authentic" names, that we can never remember.  So we tend to nickname anywhere important, usually with something silly that somewhat resembles the name, but is easy to remember.  The sillier the easier to remember.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Puddle Town. I hate "Stumptown" simply because logging isn't really a thing here anymore.
I had an idea for a Morrow Project (post apocalypse RPG) game taking place around Portland. I wanted to have a nuke land in town. Since there's a river that runs through the town, the crater would make it into a lake. So, I wanted to have the town live up to its nickname. :devil:

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Don't recall anything unusual. Shortened names were most common, or official nicknames that everyone knows already.

But for a specific place, it would be my hometown's knackery. A place that disposes and renders animal carcasses for byproducts. We called it "Couture les Os" or "Bones Couture" after the owner's family name and the distinct foul odor that came from the plant on summer evenings when they opened up the doors to ventilate. It took decades of regulation and retooling to get the smell under control.

Alberta Processing used to come to our farm to pick up deads. Back in the day, they had no covering on the trucks and there would be all kinds of feet sticking out of the top of the box; you would see them going down the highway. I always wanted to stuff a pair of jeans and put old boots on the end and have them pick those up too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

I've heard Etown (not really used much by people anymore), Edmonchuck, but my favourite is probably Deadmonton, even if such is literally the name of an apparently fairly decent haunted house in town that opens for just a month every year. 

I am also kind of fond of "the city that thinks they're great but is stuck in the 'glory years' when we had Messier and Gretzky, and was so tired of the ridicule about the slogan 'The City of Champions' that they changed it to the boring and mundane 'Alberta's Capital City'..."  oh, and even I used to jab at the slogan, because I'd call it" The City of Champions in (delayed) Construction and Potholes".  Projects run years behind here, or have massive cost overruns, or better yet, they'll throw up a construction zone, block things down to one lane, then not start said construction for two months.. 

Nothing immediately springs to mind. 

• Like 11

I call my town a "hell-hole" or "Sh**-hole" but I doubt that is an official name. Our slogan is "Where Oregon Begins" thou. They should add, "& please don't stop"..:lol:

About the only thing that comes to mind is the city of Phlan in Forgotten Realms, my group would call it "Phlegm". ^_^

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

I have a place on my acreage called Stolen Bowl. The reason is that I once had an outside cat I would feed scraps to. I put some chicken bones in a heavy ceramic bowl one winter day for her. The bowl disappeared. I thought it had been run over and smashed when the tractor came to move the snow. The following summer, I found it out in the field. The bones must have frozen in the bowl and the coyotes dragged the whole thing away. The bowl was intact. 

On 10/10/2020 at 2:04 AM, Crowley said:

Question for 20201010

"Man plans, god laughs"

What's a memorable plan you'd made that got laughed at rather spectacularly?

Well, mom's Thanksgiving was a pretty spectacular failure this year. She bought a ham and turkey and was planning a big meal. My brother in law got the Covid bee in his bonnet again and wouldn't let my sister bring her kids. My second cousin wouldn't come if my sister couldn't enjoy herself and her kids couldn't play with my nieflings. My first cousin wouldn't come if his daughter's family wasn't coming. Grandma went to her sister's. I have a cold. We had carrot pie because the pumpkins aren't ripe. :mellow: At least she didn't cook anything before. 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:45 AM, Crowley said:

*Haminister sips his Sunday morning coffee, nibbling at the freshly cooked bacon as the butter melts on the bagels*

Question for October 11th

What's the next project* you're planning, and do you have everything you need for it, or will you have to place another Reaper (or other company) order?

*please note "project" can be a single mini or a huge themed collection... your choice. 

Um, I'm a hobby butterfly. I'm trying to clean off my painting desk, but new models keep arriving there and so it's a Sisyphean task.  

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

I grew up in a place called Coonrod. We called it 'Dumptyville' because there was a dump down the road.

Both were appropriate. I have, err...humble roots.

• Like 10

The small county I live in is in Southern Illinois. During Prohibition it was so violent it was nicknamed "Bloody Williamson" by the New York Times. The gangs built armored cars and even threw dynamite and grenades from aircraft.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

I grew up in a place called Coonrod. We called it 'Dumptyville' because there was a dump down the road.

Both were appropriate. I have, err...humble roots.

My gramdma Billie was from Pot Latch, Idaho. I empathize. :lol:

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

My province's nickname is the Land of Living Skies (it's on the license plate and everything). If you've ever experienced our thunderstorms, then you know how apropos it is.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

I don't have an answer for the first question but for the bonus question I have been calling the towns that I have to name Vilton. Short for Village Town. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

The name translates to "Beautiful Fountain", but that's a total lie; the place just has a regular fountain. The nicknames we have for my town won't make it past the forum filters, they're pretty unpleasant (hey, kind of like Scottish vocab focuses on the negative!). 25 years ago one of my sisters called it the "gene cesspool of America", but it never caught on with the locals for some reason.

Whenever we played D&D our characters (never as players!) always gave inappropriate nicknames to places, but again, they won't make it past the filters. In our evil campaign, Skullport became Skull... well, let's say "Skullbuck" (I'm sure you can swap out the correct letter to get the actual name we gave it).

• Like 10

Next Project: 

Currently working on the Storm Dragon - from Grenadir 1989 - part of the cool DragonLords collection (I bought 2 of the series in HS) 

this one was from the goodwill box, and is the first metal dragon I have done since returning to the hobby. 

I think I have everything I need for its elaborate base - Resin, Cork, Milliput, small stones, flocking etc... but I something new may come up. 

I grew up in the U-city,  but I have never nicknamed a city in a campaign world. 

• Like 9