Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

22 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for October 14th

Do you have a favorite pen or other writing instrument? 

Bonus points if you share a picture of it!

I really like the pens I get from my bank, First United. They are just plain old ball point pens, but I like them.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

YES!  I use a LAMY All-star fountain pen.  Actually, I have two of them so I can have one at home and at work. These pens are a joy to write and sketch with.  I hate it when I have to write with a normal pen now, they seem so crude and rough.
image.png.1ca7c8557e1e0a8332bf55e57d36ae08.png

@Crowley: How many bonus points do I get?

1,000,000 Bonus Point! *insert Dr. Evil laugh here*

1 hour ago, TGP said:

When we are little, and our hands are little, they give us Big Crayons and Big Pencils...

:upside:

When we are Big and our hands are Bigger they make pens, & crayons, & pencils ....small. 

I don’t get it. 

BC38D8F8-3219-49B6-8297-219E57FB1929.thumb.jpeg.35fd06633302818f833471f49c471291.jpeg
Look closely at the pen on the extreme far right, that is a ReaperCon pen.  @Crowley

:wub:

Honestly was distracted by the d10. You also get 1,000,000 Bonus Points!

1 hour ago, malefactus said:

I really like the pens I get from my bank, First United. They are just plain old ball point pens, but I like them.

Do you have to break the chain to get it, or just leave the cap behind?

• Haha 9

Question for October 15th

We all started somewhere...

Thinking about (or looking at it if you have it around) your first miniature, as compared to your latest miniature, you've grown as a hobbyist. What are you most proud of? What would you have told yourself when you were first getting started?

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Thinking about (or looking at it if you have it around) your first miniature, as compared to your latest miniature, you've grown as a hobbyist. What are you most proud of? What would you have told yourself when you were first getting started?

Testors Enamels are not the paints you want to use; you're just going to get frustrated.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Jeez... I started with 40k minis way back in the early or mid 90s and then took a break of a decade or so. I still have some of them but have buried them. They bring me shame.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

Jeez... I started with 40k minis way back in the early or mid 90s and then took a break of a decade or so. I still have some of them but have buried them. They bring me shame.

No shame!! We all started somewhere! And think of the progress you've made!!

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Proudest? I have improved!

What I would've told myself? Dad's old brushes suck (synthetic, splayed, not made for miniatures). Highlighting and shadows are not just colour+white, colour+black. Dilute your paints a bit (started with Ral Partha paint pots).

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Here's a quick pic of my first ever mini I painted (on the right, in case you can't tell.....) and a recent SWL Rebel Veteran.

20201015_IMG_1121.jpg.5b0b1a7d2c3505aeda889b1083b5e2b0.jpg

It was GW, I think.  No idea what specifically. My friend who owned a game store was trying to get me to try out painting to 'hook' me into another hobby so he let me pick from his random extra minis box and let me paint it up in the store.  I had fun and immediately started buying minis, so I guess it worked. ::D: This would have been late 90s?
(Not to worry, I had my "revenge" this year when I sent him some 15mm tanks I'd printed out and he now has his own Mars and at least one KS worth of files now.....:devil:)

I'm most proud that I've stuck with it (even with a few breaks).  I've had lots of hobbies but they usually fade away after a while....

And I'd have told myself to check out the online painting community earlier.  I'm not sure what year the Reaper forums opened, but I should have found them earlier. ::D: 
(I'd also give myself a list of stocks to invest in....as that would really help my minis hobbying.... :poke: )

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I'm also quite proud of the fact I actually managed to stick with it this time.

I probably would've told myself "Just a basecoat and wash does not look as cool as you think it does." I really should have tried pushing my painting skills early on, instead of getting too comfy with working at just a decent tabletop level.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

hmm

I am most proud of developing my art style/goals , by painting minis in the style of Baroque and impressionist painters.  

I really felt like I learned a lot, and if I want to do post-impressionist dragonwings I just plow right in.  (picture from this week) 

One of these giants was my first painted ever, the other is already a few years old. 

2084934628_finalcompare.jpg.94bdc50604ab72e8b52cb141e1efa3c2.jpg

1452207859_onewing.thumb.jpg.8acb0d9bb5db882cfe4833b28ac3fa2c.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I think looking back, I am most proud of the fact that I have never stopped learning and growing in the hobby.  I always seem to push myself to the next technique, to be a little bit better with each piece.  It's been a 30 year journey from a RP Wyvern bought in 1990 on a whim, to base coats and dry drush, to learning to highlight and understand light, to painting for competition, to sculpting things for my bases and mods, to sculpting a beholder, to sculpting for Reaper, to sculpting for multiple clients, to being a jeweler/caster, to Z-Brush sculpting, to 3D Printing...what's next; I'm not sure, but I'll have fun going there. ::D:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

You know, I don't hate my first mini. I still have him, he's a skelly with a yellow cloak. As some of you know, I started painting ceramics when I was eight or nine, and some of those early works were awful. Did I have fun? Oh yes, because I did it for years. I actually quit around fourteen or sixteen when I was taking home multiple first prizes in the adult category in the town fair. I started painting minis when I was in college again. I needed a hobby and a revival of sorts put my troubled soul at ease. My BFF and roomie was an oil painter and I started her along, too. I wish I'd bought some of her minis, she oil painted some elementals and they were really neat. (We had a falling out and no longer talk.) She was teaching me blending and shading, albeit a very early version of both. 

I wish I'd bought less minis and better tools. I used latex paints from the craft store for a long time and cheap brushes. I've given away lots of minis over the years, unpainted. I think I could've learned more if I'd done that.    

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

2 hours ago, VitM said:

Testors Enamels are not the paints you want to use; you're just going to get frustrated.

^^yeah.... they're pretty, but WOW are they a pain in the butt! Thanks Dad for setting me up with those, but I am so glad I found acrylic mini paint later!

Most proud of? I can see "I learned THIS" on most of my figures and mark improvement as I go. Some are bigger improvements than others, but the improvements stick from one to the next.

I would tell myself "paint more often, and don't take breaks from it".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I'm most proud that I'm still improving and learning.

I would have told myself to invest in some good brushes earlier.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

They were Ral Partha, and I would tell my former self , "Don't leave them in the trunk at your apartment building with your RPG books, they will get taken."

• Like 1
  • Sad 8