Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for October 15th

We all started somewhere...

Thinking about (or looking at it if you have it around) your first miniature, as compared to your latest miniature, you've grown as a hobbyist. What are you most proud of? What would you have told yourself when you were first getting started?

Would have told myself to buy fewer minis and paint the ones you have before buying new. Also would have told myself to paint and keep more for yourself instead of painting for friends/others and giving them away. I look at what I have, and there's a lot of half-complete models, but relatively few of my better works.

Probably most proud that, despite that first mini looking like most beginners look, I never lost the love for it. A lot of hobbies have come and gone, but this one has flames still burning after 10 years.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Thinking about (or looking at it if you have it around) your first miniature, as compared to your latest miniature, you've grown as a hobbyist. What are you most proud of? What would you have told yourself when you were first getting started?

I'm another one that started with terrible plastic brushes and Testors enamels. It was all that was available until my best friend bought a bunch of the Citadel/Coat D'arms paints somewhere around 1990. My latest paint jobs are very fast table top standard and they look a million times better than my first ones. When I actually buckle down and try to do a fancy job they look pretty good although I'm nowhere near as good as many on this forum. Hard to say what I'm proudest about but I am happy that I have hundreds of fully painted minis. Advice to myself? Just paint. Don't worry if it's not the best, just keep working at it. Even poor jobs look better than bare minis when you're playing. Yeah maybe someday I'll quit playing with primed/unpainted minis. I'm doing better but they still hit the table from time to time. The game comes first.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Don't compare your first work to professional artists; you don't even start at level 4 or 5, you start at Level 1. Also, you're not trying to paint a miniature, what you're doing is practicing painting and learning what works and what doesn't; sometimes it's good just to play in the mud.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

I posted a comparison in the first and last mini thread some time ago, but I did take something like a 20 year break between them.  So I'm not sure how useful any advice would have ended up being given It'd probably been long forgotten.

• Like 8

I'm proud of the small improvements that I can see myself making with each figure I paint. 

I would tell myself that even though the figures are made of metal, simply leaving the armor unpainted does not make the figure 'done'.:lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

Thinking about (or looking at it if you have it around) your first miniature,…

I don't even know what it was exactly or who it was made by.

(But I replaced its lance with a stiffer one, It was a horse ghost or skeleton with a wraith (?) rider both covered in flowing ghostly robes or barding…)

I did like the rolling stones and painted it black…

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

Not sure what I'm most proud of... maybe that I've kept with it. What I would have told myself: 'Go to Chicago!'

I had an offer to go hangout and paint with Sue Wachowski and co in the 90s. I didn't, because its a long drive. One of my biggest regrets. 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Crowley said:

I started painting with the Reaper Learn to Paint Kit about two years ago. I'm blown away by my progress since then. I've always been some kind of artist, but of all my mediums, mini painting is the one where I've seen the most direct growth.

I'm not sure what I'd say to myself. Probably just encouragement to keep trying new things and pushing my comfort zone. Maybe a recommendation to stop relying on washes and drybrushing sooner. 

Oh, and clean your brushes!!

First and Latest Mini:

1124200075_Minis-12.thumb.jpg.10e0a3f6b109652be55256a0b5275a36.jpg953463920_Cpt.Ashe-12.thumb.jpg.f06a50b30207936e376311c7911d6ef4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Crowley said:

The first miniatures I did were converted Britains Limited West Point Cadets. I was 15. They were made to look like 18th Century Danish Musketeers...sort of...& painted in Testor's enamels. Things have changed a lot since then. 

I am proud or, more likely, happy that I am still at it after 58 years AND can still recognize a need to improve.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, Crowley said:

Well, my first miniature which had paint added to it was probably an Airfix 1/72 plastic WWII figures of some sort (none of those left in my collection) in 1971.  So it’s getting on for 50 years...Oddly enough, the latest batch of minis I’ve finished was also 1/72 plastic,

15ED6B3C-0959-4C2D-90CE-B06F24E75047.jpeg.3fad732db182c3686ec6e8230f2e78e9.jpeg

including an Airfix Robin Hood figure probably actually manufactured in the 1970s (judging from the plastic color) keeping an eye on these sheep.

I’ve learned a lot along the way, and have more to learn, but...Most of it would be a repeat of what people have already said; bad brushes and enamels won’t give a good result, especially on unprepared soft plastic, practice makes perfect, etc.  Most recently I’ve learned that I don’t really have an interest in painting individual works of art.  For me, this is a craft in support of my wish to put on attractive games, and the most useful techniques and tools to me are those that allow me to reach a good tabletop quality faster.  

As for proudest of, it’s probably that I’ve been able to keep all of “this” as a family bonding activity. (Gencon, 2019, brother, sons, me, wife, from left to right).

5D5E342B-D37E-4687-BA03-FB8D001BDA54.jpeg.a01b108f6b9c64c28bb885422fddd8ce.jpeg

A runner up is that I have been able to put on the games that I imagined, even if it has often taken longer than I had planned or hoped.

4D223D87-BEF5-4AC7-9B47-2E61EE4DB89B.jpeg.510d7dcdf6d01a466527ef3e5d22934c.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I don't have the first mini anymore, but here's one from the early 2000s and one from last week. 

Biggest change was learning how to paint bright colors, not using tube paints, and shading. 

Things I would have told me starting out, use the side of the brush for lines, stop trying to use tube paint for minis, prime white or grey, don't try to paint red directly over black. 

PXL_20201016_141132551~2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Quest for the Weekend of 10/16 - 10/18

The vast depths of Stonehell contains 10 distinct known levels and an unknown number of sub levels and side dungeons.

Your quest for the weekend is to add to the dungeon's depths. Draw a map, describe a section, tell of a new monster, and/or share a treasure that may be found hidden away.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

No shame!! We all started somewhere! And think of the progress you've made!!

Nope, they shall shame me forever. Or until I sell them. :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Quest for the Weekend of 10/16 - 10/18

The vast depths of Stonehell contains 10 distinct known levels and an unknown number of sub levels and side dungeons.

Your quest for the weekend is to add to the dungeon's depths. Draw a map, describe a section, tell of a new monster, and/or share a treasure that may be found hidden away.

Um... I'm already working on a Rifts adventure (and characters) for Halloween. I'm going to pass for now. :zombie:

Besides, I do everything on paper, so it wouldn't work very well.

Also, I'm guessing you have a game to prepare for and with "Surprise! Baby!" you're a little behind. I see you, Hamster. :devil:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I'd say I'm most proud of being able to churn out a decent tabletop miniature in a short amount of time. I'm definitely not out there making works of stunning beauty, but what I can paint in an hour these days is ten times better than what would have taken me a whole day 20 years ago.

Now, if I could go back and give myself some tips I'd probably start by saying buy better brushes and don't be afraid of bright colors. Seriously, just because it looks like it should be brown doesn't mean it has to be brown. Oh, and while we're at it, here are some sports scores for the next couple of years. 

I'll have to get back to you on the weekend question. I've got the layouts for a few old dungeons floating around here somewhere and if I can find them then I should have something original to ramble on about.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1