Getting to Know You - October Edition

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 1st - The spooky season is upon us! What is your favorite horror/supernatural/Halloween themed entertainment? Can be anything... tv, movie, book, comedy special, burlesque show... Don't limit yourself!

Nightmare Before Christmas, of course. Also the best Christmas movie. ^_^

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 1st - The spooky season is upon us! What is your favorite horror/supernatural/Halloween themed entertainment? Can be anything... tv, movie, book, comedy special, burlesque show... Don't limit yourself!

I uhh.... like scaring other people? I get bored in haunted houses or watching horror movies or in haunted corn mazes, so I just start randomly screaming to freak out other people, or poke them during the movie to make them jump.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The Penny Dreadful series is also a good one to watch this time of year. And could fill up the entire month, if you averaged one episode per day. I have, sadly, not finished the last season yet.

And anything involving Hannibal Lecter, for a more psychological horror.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Crowley said:

I don't have a favorite, unless we're counting Halloween as my favorite holiday.

As far as movies, I like genuinely scary movies, not gore-fests. Blood and gore isn't scary to me. 

The Haunting (1999 film with Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Owen Wilson) was a pretty good scary movie, IMO.

Stephen King has written some pretty creepy stuff that I enjoyed reading, mostly his older stuff. His newer works haven't been quite so good.

I like the idea of going to haunted houses/corn fields/mazes/etc.  but the reality of them generally doesn't do much for me. I'd prefer them to be much more subtle; weird/creepy noises, a bit of movement caught out of the corner of the eye, or a brief glimpse of some thing are all going to stoke my imagination and seriously freak me out much more than a dude jumping out from around a corner going 'raaarr!'.

Sitting around a camp fire at night in the woods telling ghost stories is pretty fun.

• Like 11
9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Ravenloft. I like the setting, I like the genres the various realms are based on. If things were normal, I'd be running Ravenloft themed games at the FLGS this month. I'll probably limit it to just 1 this time.

• Like 12

October 1st - The spooky season is upon us! What is your favorite horror/supernatural/Halloween themed entertainment? Can be anything... tv, movie, book,

I enjoy some horror, but for the most part I want really terrible things to happen for story reasons.  Violence should be imagined/implied more than shown. 

Jump scares are okay, but its not why i'm there.  My satisfaction is based entirely if the story made sense/ stayed internally consistent and pulled together well at the end.  

For shows I enjoyed Netflix's Haunting of Hill House, series. 

And many of the Scare focused Doctor Who episodes are the most powerful. 

For Author's I am partial to HP Lovecraft,  & Dan Simmons. 

Hyperion/Endemon  while technically Sci-Fi books had some of the most horrible psychological  torture of its main characters (with a little physical torture as well)   that is shocked and amazed me, but I haven't tried Dan Simmons actual Horror books. 

To Answer an unasked question  - horror doesn't give me nightmares, but have had many nervous trips up to bed after watching horror movies.

- I have some ability to Lucid Dream and have woken myself up or siezed control of more than one nightmare. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 11