Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

23 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for Monday October 19th

As the weather turns colder, the leaves more colorful, and little ghouls and goblins think of candy, more and more soups and stews are being made. What was the last soup you made/had, and what are your plans for the next that you'll enjoy?

Last week I made Pear and Parsnip Soup, which was nicer than expected (fruit in a savoury dish is still a fairly new concept for me).

I'm still working my way through all the new soup recipes I found, so the next one I'm trying is Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup with Peanut Sauce, don't know if I'll enjoy it, but it sounds nice.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Crowley said:

Surprise 10/18 Random Encounter!

Last night, @buglips*the*goblin crawled into your domicile and raided something from your stash.

What did he take? Will you try to get it back?

You assume I would be able to tell he took anything. <_<

31 minutes ago, Crowley said:

As the weather turns colder, the leaves more colorful, and little ghouls and goblins think of candy, more and more soups and stews are being made. What was the last soup you made/had, and what are your plans for the next that you'll enjoy?

I made some split pea soup a while back. So. That. I might make chili this month. The temps are suppose to drop this week.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Fell behind in answering over the weekend so I'm just skipping ahead to today... We just finished off a big pot of chicken and rice soup with whatever veggies were in the fridge needing to get used up. Probably the next soup will be a combination of whatever protein and veggies need to get used up with rice, or maybe we'll use egg noodles or similar for the starch this time. With just a few exceptions, that's pretty much how all our soup making goes.  

29 minutes ago, TGP said:

That leaves aside the whole debate over whether there can be anything in Chili other than meat.

(NB: The contents of that can were just about identical to the "..Chilis.." served by the US restaurant chains Wendy's and Braums.) 

My opinion on this, and probably just my opinion, is that without several types of beans, random veg, and enough hot peppers to make you regret your life decisions next time you go to the bathroom it's not chili. It's just meat soup. Also, and this is second hand so take from it what you will, I was informed by a friend who used to work there that the "chili" at Wendy's is composed of the meat they harvest from the grease trap. I find most fast food offerings kind of gross to begin with, but that just takes the cake. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

butternut squash soup was the last one I had, and I'll probably have ramen in about 10 minutes.

as for more interesting ones that I made myself, the last one was split pea, as for the next one, I kind of want to do chili or beef stew or something, but don't currently have the stuff to do that. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I made a French lentil soup last week which was OK, but not inspiring. About two weeks ago I made a really good, if not entirely authentic Goulash.

I don't know what will come next in the soup department, but split pea or oxtail barley would be good. (The latter might  be more for me than any of my immediate family members)

I have also been asked to make beef rouladen at some point soon, which is at least a braise, if not precisely what I think of as stew. In general, braises and stews are my favorite cooking methodology.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I can't recall.  I don't usually make soup during the summer, so it's been a while ago.  Also no cooking plans for this week yet. So... we'll see.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

Last night, @buglips*the*goblin crawled into your domicile and raided something from your stash.

A pack of hardened Green Stuff which I was about to throw away.

So..he can keep it.

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Tomato Soup with veggies and meat balls was the last I had.

The next one depends on my cravings. I love a good Goulash Soup when it gets colder.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Last soup that I had was Campbells Tomato Soup with my grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner last night.

Last soup *I* made was Snow's Clam chowder (with extra can of clams added).

In between those two, Daughter Dilvish made beef stew from scratch.  Next soup made might be 13 bean soup; if I remember to pick up some salt pork to go in it.  We already have the beans.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

It was a Beef Stew or a Chili.  I don't particularly like soups. Both are 1 minute microwave meals.

• Like 9

On 10/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, Crowley said:

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Last soup I had was chicken noodle, not 'cause I was sick or anything, it just sounded good a the time. This was of the Campbell's Chunky variety.

I think beef stew will be made next. This will be sorta home made. By that I mean start with Dinty Moore beef stew, and then add mushrooms, onions, green peppers, more carrots, whatever leftover meat is in the 'fridge (currently half of a summer sausage, a chicken breast, and some bacon) , and whatever spices/seasonings I think will go well with it. 

This is my 'clean up all the leftovers' meal; depending on what's in the 'fridge it's different every time I make it. 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Lady C made some wonderful chicken noodle soup tonight. Just perfect for a cold, damp day today.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

We tend to make soup every weekend at this time of year, the last few weeks have been Red Lentil, Butternut Squash/Sweet Potato and Veggie Chowder. We buy some really big bread rolls from a nearby bakery and make them into bread bowls  :winkthumbs:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

We don't have soup much on low carb but my wife made a "meatball soup" not that long ago. Was more like meatballs in sauce, but sure was tasty......

• Like 10

On 10/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, Crowley said:

Likely some random dirty socks and old paint pots.  As it is bag luck to steal from a goblin, the safer option is to set up decoy of more socks and paint pots to keep him away from other things... 

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

Homemade minestrone soup.  Next on the list is likely a potato and broccoli soup.  hmmmm  hot soup when it's nice and cold out is awesome! 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

Last soup was a stew of beef and whatever else we had in the fridge. As time went on more things from the fridge went in as we reheated it and added more stuffs.

Next soup could be one of two things. I found a pile of out-of-season chili kits. Also I have 2 big pork shoulder bones and 3 pounds of dried udon I can go to town with. Unsure what I'll do.

• Like 7