Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 10/20/2020

Who is someone in the community that inspires you?

In this community? Pretty much everyone on here painting, sculpting and sharing stuff. Doesn't matter the genre or quality. It's all neat to look at. And I steal get a lot of inspiration from your creations. Thanks.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 10/20/2020

In this community, I get inspired daily when looking at other forumites work, reading about the way you deal with things.

I can't choose just one.

There are so many of you with great ideas, silly ideas, beautiful paint jobs or awesome sculpts and designs.

I've made friends here, some helped me a lot with their advice or just lending an ear when I needed that.

It's the whole package here I guess that inspires me.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 10/20/2020

No fair! It's impossible to select any single person.

Anyone who shares their work is an inspiration to me. Even beginners can come up with amazing color combinations.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 10/20/2020

Tough question; there are a whole lot of people here who inspire me in a variety of ways. @malefactus is definitely on the list, he absolutely seems to have the 'if you're having fun, you're doing it right' thing mastered.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 10/20/2020

@malefactus, who doesn't let the hard things in life stop him. Al, I hope to meet you face to face someday!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

@malefactus, who doesn't let the hard things in life stop him. Al, I hope to meet you face to face someday!

@Corsair I would love that to happen. I have to warn you though, I am not on the ten best looking Guys list.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for 10/20/2020

In my local community, the older fellow who lives a few houses up and across the road, who manages to get his driveway clear before me, and his lawn mowed before me, and just gets things done, even though he's got to be getting up there. He just keeps going and gets it done.

The forum community, there are so many. @malefactus who makes the most amazing and unique creations, and is so prolific I constantly get behind on his WIPs. @Glitterwolf who manages to like bomb everything, write excellent stories in his WIPs, and constantly tempt me with new stls he has found....not bad for a WOOF member :poke:.  All the folks who keep up with the randomness thread. Everyone who volunteers to moderate and keep our home a happy place. And so many more....

In the painting community as a whole, I'd go with Aaron Lovejoy as well, for these 5 reasons:

1.  He is entertaining to watch

2. He often does things a little different, but explains it really well

3. How he airbrushes actually makes sense to me, and got me using mine

4. He doesn't edit out when he makes mistakes, but shows how to work with them

5. He likes to do numbered lists

6. He usually ends up with more in the list than he starts with.

7. He sometimes puts bloopers at the end of his videos

8.  And of course, his results are amazing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

4. He doesn't edit out when he makes mistakes, but shows how to work with them

There is a misunderstanding in art education that editing out mistakes is a good thing. That it looks unprofessional for the instructor to flub something and fix it on camera.

This is the exact opposite of reality. How is the student to learn how to navigate the inevitable problems and mistakes that arise, if they're not shown how?

• Like 10

Question for the 21st of October:

Are there any Youtube/Twitch channels that you used to watch, but find you have outgrown/lost interest in? Hobby or non-hobby, your pick.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Are there any Youtube/Twitch channels that you used to watch, but find you have outgrown/lost interest in? Hobby or non-hobby, your pick.

I rarely follow any.

At the moment I watch the youtube channels about 3D printing like 3D printingpro and the likes of that, I already notice that I'm watching those less now I feel that I understand what I need to do in Chitubox etc.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Pretty much everything I used to watch I now find to be meh. I open up Youtube, think about what to watch, and usually draw a blank for a solid minute. Never was a big Twitch watcher (except for Critical Role, but I stopped watching that maybe two years ago?).

Hobby-related, I used to love Dr. Faust's Painting Clinic, but I've outgrown it. I pop in occasionally to see if there is an interesting project. Between that and Miniwargaming, those two channels helped me to further drink the kool-aid of minis and painting, but I haven't looked at MWG in years.

PunishedProps I followed for a long time, but with the rise and accessibility of 3d printing, they shifted from handmade props to that. For me, if I don't have those tools, and probably won't for a while, the interest just dwindles. They still do good work, but watching someone work on a computer just isn't my jam unless I can follow along and practice what I'm seeing.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

The only channel that I watch is Reaper.  For Youtube I will watch individual videos but not a channel.

• Like 10

I don't really use twitch, although I've tried watching Reaper stuff a few times.

I subscribe to lots on youtube but rarely watch anything regularly.  I usually just skip around and watch random stuff.
So like right now I'm not really watching terrain building stuff, but I'm watching lots of SW Legion videos.  But I'm sure that will change over to watching Big Stompy Robot videos soon (since Battletech is shipping).

Same is true for my non-hobby viewing.  Random is my normal.

• Like 8

Ones that I actively avoid now are content farms of the "Simple Hacks", "5 Minute Craft" or "So Yummy" categories. You soon realize that the vast majority of their content is faked; exaggerated; impractical; ridiculous; downright dangerous; and reposted with other videos to seem new, again and again and again.

For more genuine content, it would be video games. If I'm currently playing it, I'll gobble up any information about it from "pro" channels until I lose interest in the game.

To a lesser degree would be "How-to" videos. I seek them for specific knowledge or skill-set, but once acquired, I move on. Generally, it'll be cooking related.

• Like 10

Truthfully? Reaper's Twitch is one that I barely pop into, same with several Twitch painting streams.  Part of it was the vibe seems to have changed (not to mention comments section goes brrrrr half the time (aka moves at an insane pace)), but the other is a streamer I prefer a lot more is on at the same time, and I'm able to focus on just relaxing and hobbying with his stream, so his takes priority, even if it goes for three more hours afterwards. 

I have enjoyed the Reaper Live episodes that I've watched over the past few months, and the structure is nice. Ron really needs to get that light on his phone to stop flashing :P

Several painters I've also stopped watching on Twitch, mainly due to their primary streaming times not being when I'm able to get on and watch. 

As for YouTube channels, I'll playfully pass on that, I cull my watch list on a quarterly basis but even then I'm still dealing with 75+ watched channels. Yeah, many wind up getting unfollowed, some are refollowed when they start posting again, etc. 

Edit: I had one channel that I kept watching even like eight years after he died, as a way of.. Ah unno. And then I pretty much decided the odds of me ever going back into paintball were rather slim, and finally unsubscribed from him.  Circumstances behind that one still suck though. Paintborg did some good stuff. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9