Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Inquiry for the Twenty Second of October

Sometimes you go into a project super excited, only to lose steam somewhere along the way. What was the last miniature project that happened with you, and how did you get through it, if you did? How did you feel about it after it was done (or shelved, or trashed)?

I had this idea for a Diorama with Queen Shannon and a few Bears.

After having her staff broken for the fourth time I put the whole thing away.

So...a few partly painted bears and an almost painted Queen Shannon are looking at me with disgust as I print and paint other minis...

I'll get back to them..one day.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

Sometimes you go into a project super excited, only to lose steam somewhere along the way. What was the last miniature project that happened with you, and how did you get through it, if you did? How did you feel about it after it was done (or shelved, or trashed)?

I had big plans to finally do my CAV vs Khanjira diorama this year.  Started planning in January even.

Then March came and the whole working from home thing.  And I started painting Star Wars Legion in the little bit of hobby time I could muster.

So it is definitely not getting done this year. But it is sitting behind me on its own table with a bunch of the parts there so that every time I turn around I see it and think about it.

And once I get my Imperials painted I certainly hope I will get back to it and get it done in 2021.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for the 21st of October:

Are there any Youtube/Twitch channels that you used to watch, but find you have outgrown/lost interest in? Hobby or non-hobby, your pick.

No.  I’ve never followed any of that.  These days, there’s so much of it that it’s total sensory overload to even try to find something. 

Hi, my name is Rob and I have a project problem.  I haven’t started a new project in two weeks....

Oh, this isn’t a meeting of Projects Anonymous?

Anyway, semi-seriously, in my book there are projects and sub-projects...As a generally historical gamer, my idea of a “project” is a  combination of period and scale, so that 54mm medievals (Hundred Years War) is a project, 40mm 18th century imagi-nations is a project, 25mm fantasy is a project, 1/72 scale plastic fantasy is a different project, etc.  As of last month when I most recently updated the list, there were 23 of these, in states ranging from “own a stack of molds” to “finished”*.  Here’s a typical entry:

20mm Bronze Age (II): Last Played: 05/16/20. 116 foot and 7 chariots completed. At Historicon '06 Norman and I bought into the new plastic Egyptians, Hittites and allies.  The eventual size of the project remains uncertain.  I am planning an Egyptian army, a Libyan/Sea Peoples army, a Canaanite army, and Greeks and Trojans. Norman is working on the Hittites, and a Syrian/Canaanite allied/opponent force.  Rules: Warhammer Ancient Battles, DBA, home rules. Current Status: 1000pt WHAB test army of Egyptians completed, DBA Libyans almost complete. Norman won a PELA award at Historicon 2013 using my figures and scenery in addition to his own. Since Christmas 2019, we have been expanding this using DBA; I’ve built most of a Libyan army, so that my Egyptians have opponents.

Hmmm.  Looks like the narrative for that needs to be updated; there’s been a lot of work this year.

A sub-project is some severable chunk of one of these, like a DBA army for the Bronze Age, which might be 12-18 stands of 1 chariot or 2-4 infantry.

In sub-project level, I guess the two most recent things I started were a scenery upgrade, which is on going and I feel reasonably good about (posts about it are here and here, with the most recent completion being just under four weeks ago)  and an Oathmark-inspired 25mm fantasy sub-project to get all of my Prince August fantasy molds vented and tested  (most recent completions, in July, posted here).  I’m feeling a little less good about that one, since I’ve basically been stalled since July.  I did get a few figures cleaned up and primed a couple of weeks ago, but I haven’t gotten anything done since I did that.  

I’m not really sure what the last sub-project or project was that got fully finished...If I am stalled on something, I usually just go with the Muse and paint whatever I am inspired to paint rahter than attempt to force my way through something that I’m not feeling.  The other strategy that works sometimes, if there’s enough done to use, is to stage a game with what I have got, and that will sometimes unlock the inspiration to get back to work on it.

That was probably too complicated...

* I actually have five defined phases for the overall projects:

0 — stuff has been bought

I — some stuff has been painted

II — a game has been played with it

III — most of the reasonable work has been done, and all that’s left is filling in exotic contingencies (pontoon wagons for the 18th century, say)

Finished — no significant painting planned (which isn’t to say that things don’t get added occasionally)

If a significant addition for a Finished project ends up being considered, I’ll bump the status back to III.

• Like 9

The last project was a covered wagon train for a western RPG Con session.  I have the three Covered Wagons built, the three buckboards built and converted to Covered wagons. Bought the 12 pairs of oxen for the teams.  Designed and laser cut the Ox bows.  I have cut out wagon trees to attach the oxen to the wagons but I am unsure if they are the right design. I just saw a movie with a wagon train that had the wagon tree as just a straight board that attached to the ox bow and not a tee like I had designed.  That is more for Stagecoaches.  Will have to rework my laser cutting template to allow for that.  So happy that our library system has three maker centers that have tools like the laser cutter that we can use for just the cost of the materials.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

That's what I was thinking of! I found my copy of Eric Jones and Brian Froud's "The Goblin Companion: A Field Guide to Goblins" in a box about a month ago after not seeing it around for a number of years. The cover is a little goblin face on a wall and I knew it reminded me of something I'd seen recently. I just couldn't for the life of me remember what. Looked up the project in your comment and sure enough, that was it. Thanks, that's been bothering me a little bit for a while now. 

@Thoramel Glad to be of assistance even if it was inadvertent.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I lose steam on a lot of things.  When it comes to minis I really try to push through it, otherwise I'll start building a wall of shame.  My exception to the unfinished rule is primed minis.  I have several based and primed models sitting around, but once the base coat goes on they need finished.

Most recently i lost steam while painting hordes of zombies.  I had 19 zombies to work through and knew there was a chance of burning out.  I broke them into 3 different groups: Swamp Zombies, Grave Zombies, Fresh Zombies.  The first two sets only had 5 each and trying to adhere to themed paint schemes really motivated me.  But the last 9 were a disaster.  I wanted them brighter and fresher but the colors were just too saturated and cartoony.  I started hating them more and more.  Only finished by forcing myself to finish smaller steps: finish all the blues, finish this zombie's shirt, etc.

I still am unhappy with them.  They're not terrible, but compared to the first ten they just aren't as good.  But they work as hoard fillers.

In general I find that smaller steps are easier to manage than looking at the project as a whole.  After finishing something I lost passion in I reward myself by tackling something easy, or different.  Rather than finish those last 6 townsfolk that you're not motivated to paint, grab that random monster that you have an idea for!  Don't let your hobby become a chore.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I was really into minis and painting and gaming until about... 2014 or 2015. I was burned out and dealing with losing all of the people I called friends. It wasn't until earlier this year that I got back into it. While I haven't done much, I'm trying.
I'm remembering why I liked do this stuff. The joy of building, the tedium of priming, and the frustration and following feeling of accomplishment when it's "done." I missed all of this but I don't have the time like I used to. That said, I'm trying to find a new balance.

The one thing I tell people is: miniatures don't go bad (usually). Keep them around and you can come back to them. The only thing I ever completely gave up on was my Orks.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

There's... A few right now. CAV and BattleTech come to mind (I'll get back to them eventually, just not interested at this precise moment it seems), as do my Skaven and Imperial Guard. 

Probably the biggest one that keeps coming out and go back into storage is my rainbow dragon one. I enjoy the concept and I love painting dragons, but it never seems to want to come to the actual forefront of whatever I'm working on. 

Most recent is arguably my MDF terrain for my Infinity board - only four walls remain for one structure, and another just requires the fifty tiny little bits to be actually finished... 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

The one thing I tell people is: miniatures don't go bad (usually). Keep them around and you can come back to them. The only thing I ever completely gave up on was my Orks.

Well, I was engaged in a basement clean out last week, and had to pitch a few TSR Star Frontiers minis from the early 80s with significant lead rot, so, yes, usually they don’t go bad, but it does happen. ::P:

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Well, I was engaged in a basement clean out last week, and had to pitch a few TSR Star Frontiers minis from the early 80s with significant lead rot, so, yes, usually they don’t go bad, but it does happen. ::P:

Yeah, after almost 40 years, you might have some problems. If you want that long, that's... Well, it's something. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

Yeah, after almost 40 years, you might have some problems. If you want that long, that's... Well, it's something. :lol:

In my defense, those were relatively recent eBay purchases. ::D: My own figures from back then were mostly painted by the ‘90s, and seem to be holding up fine.  But, yeah,  that’s one way to lose them.  50 year old Airfix plastic figures are sometimes found embrittled beyond use, although I painted one from the early to mid ‘70s a few weeks ago and it was still fine. (Also not from my personal ancient collection; a flea market acquisition...) 

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Pretty much every mini project, it's what cooled me on the hobby. I still experience it all the time in traditional art, but I've been overall happier with my output in that realm vs what I was able to achieve with minis.

Also, I'm about halfway through my PT, so I got the greenlight to get back to drawing and painting when I feel like it, officially. Shoulder still catching and gets sore fast, but I'm at least physically able now! So now it's just me being lazy again lol. 

• Like 6

I'm always super excited to do some painting for other people, usually my brother for his D&D games. And that usually is enough to get me through it because I'll have a deadline. Early February he wanted some tavern figures painted for NPCs for an encounter in March, and I was starting to make progress towards the end of Feb. Then the world fell apart, his game was put on indefinite hiatus (he works for a hospital, several of his players are involved in hospital aspects). So with no immediate need for them, which kept being extended and extended, they are still only half-finished and are now on the sidelines. I don't like abandoning things, but it isn't the first time, and I'd be lying if I said it'd be the last time.

I really need that deadline to get things done. But I also need enough time to sit and go at my own pace without being interrupted, and that often doesn't happen for me. All my painting/hobbying areas are in remote locations in the house, where I can't hear much if someone needs me. When I am interrupted and go to do a task, I generally don't get back to the area for at least an hour or two, and then it's time for a new task to go do.

• Like 6

Happens to me all the time! Being easily distracted, plus prone to quickly losing interest, while being a very slow painter just isn't a great combo in this hobby.

I've learnt that trying to just power through to completion doesn't work for me, so I set things aside in the hope I'll finish them one day, even though I know that most of the time I never will.

• Like 9