Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

10/23

When was the last time you pulled an all-nighter? And why?

I work nights. So, every night this year. I don't even try to do stuff doing the day anymore.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

10/23

ReaperCon 2019, Sunday night to Monday morning.

Late night closing activities, and early flight. Didn't want to risk oversleeping.

It was a long, exhausting day(s). And the last leg of my flight got cancelled at the last minute, so I got stuck with an extra day of travel.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

10/23

That would be the last time we were in the hospital... Something like April ish I think, or May? Honestly can't remember, but it was this year. 

Prior to that it would definitely be the day hubby had acute appendicitis, where I think I got something like four hours of sleep over three days. 

Go back twenty years though, and my 46.5 hours before needing sleep was the best record I ever set at a Lan party. Definitely can't do that anymore though, partially due to having to keep closer control on caffeine and sugar intake, but also because I know the side effects of pushing yourself that long. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

On 10/22/2020 at 6:48 AM, Crowley said:

Inquiry for the Twenty Second of October

Sometimes you go into a project super excited,

I rarely get super excited...

only to lose steam somewhere along the way.

If only I could raise steam...

What was the last miniature project that happened with you, and how did you get through it, if you did?

Not applicable?

How did you feel about it after it was done...

Always feels good to finish something, typically I “celebrate” by taking a few pix. 

(or shelved...

I like to think I have a shelf of hope rather than a shelf of shame...(that’s as close as I get to being an optimist <_<)

...or trashed)?

Never!

That is what a bitz box is for!!

10/23

Last Wednesday... :mellow:

Not sure, kinda shredded my circadian rhythm at some point and it now switches off/kicks in randomly... ::(: :unsure:

35 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I've been almost fully nocturnal the last few months, I can't remember the last time I actually stayed awake a full day and slept at night. Usually pass out around noon-2pm and wake up between 7-9pm. Years of working 2nd shift have probably screwed up my sleep cycle beyond repair. 

But on the other hand, I'm not paticularly fond of bright daylight anyway, and the social isolation that came with spending most of my working years on evening shift, while hellish for a younger me, is also probably the reason that I've felt no real "cabin fever" at all this year from the lockdown/quarantine. 

Yup, No (hence strikeout), Yup, to the rest of that. 
I also, have no cabin fever.

For those some reasons. 

[Rant]
Why do the powers that be keep saying Social Distancing?? When what they really mean, actually need to have happen, is Physical Distancing!!!

Why can’t they use the correct word???

[/Rant]

• Like 10

10/23

Heh, well last night!!! Thou that is my work schedule.

As far as hobbying, most likely last year at my FLGS. It was Extra Life day/night there as the owners are grateful for one of the hospitals over in Boise. Having a baby is very hard for them & they finally conceived but there was complications during the pregnancy & their daughter was born way to early. She only lived for a couple hours. I hate it for them as they deserve to be parents!!

So Extra Life day/night at the FLGS, it almost felt like I was back at ReaperCon that night. Booze, RPGS, more booze & almost killing the store GM coordinator in the process!!! We had a method of putting down plastic dinos & that meant the GM had to drink. The Dinos were "currency" we exchanged for real bucks we donated to Extra Life. Let's put it this way, I had a sheep load of dino that night. As they could be used to mess up any of the games at the store that night. Want a random monster in a dungeon or encounter, drop a dino into the game. Want a bigger monster, drop more dinos..

Damn, I miss that night. (Damn COVID!!!)

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

[Rant]
Why do the powers that be keep saying Social Distancing?? When what they really mean, actually need to have happen, is Physical Distancing!!!

[/Rant]

Well have you seen our govt & other place of importance during this whole shebang?? Yah I'll leave just it at that. All I know why does have to be while wearing a mask, odors & other unpleasant smells are sooooooo much worse now. Guy that works in the GM dept at work wears the most gawd awful body spray & other terrible smells. GO AWAY 2020!!!

24 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

ReaperCon 2019, Sunday night to Monday morning.

Late night closing activities, and early flight. Didn't want to risk oversleeping.

It was a long, exhausting day(s). And the last leg of my flight got cancelled at the last minute, so I got stuck with an extra day of travel.

Didn't you also have extra travel coming down to RCon one year as well??

• Like 9

10/23

2007, hunting a child molester/kidnapper who had gone AWOL on Parole. And we did find him and no kids hurt.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, haldir said:

Didn't you also have extra travel coming down to RCon one year as well??

That was ReaperCon 2018.

Travel is pretty much always waaay longer than I wish for.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Zink said:

An actual all nighter as in no sleep until late morning? Maybe 16 years ago the last time I stayed up all night drinking and visiting with some old friends. Just a very late night? Been many with the kids being sick or just not able to sleep. Last time was about a week ago with my wife being upset about her mom's health we stayed up until 3 am talking and then I couldn't fall asleep for another hour or so. Getting up at 7 wasn't a lot of fun. And the day before that I couldn't sleep so was up late watching the 70s Battlestar Galactica. Can't go days on only a couple hours of sleep like I used to. Now I feel perpetually tired even when I do sleep ok.

I forgot that a few years ago we did have a real allnighter. Wife likes to have a beach vacation every so often. We picked Cuba and our choices were pay about $400 per person to fly from Regina to Calgary or just drive to Calgary (about 750 km) and head south from there. She decided that we could save some money on a hotel by leaving late afternoon, drive through the night and get to the airport early morning. "Oh, everybody but the driver can sleep and we'll take turns." After pit stops and feeding we got to Calgary about 4am. Nobody could sleep and we were way early so we sat in a parking lot for a couple hours with her crankily telling us to sleep. :rolleyes: When we got to the resort mid afternoon we were all totally exhausted and ready to kill eachother. Wasn't worth the $100 we saved on a hotel for the night. She's never suggested we try it again.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

Interestingly, I never pulled an all nighter to write an essay or study...

That is one of the most time-honored traditions! Well, at least for "traditional" college students (older/mature people who go to college are far too wise for that stuff). That and a road trip!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TGP said:

[Rant]

[/Rant]

Because physical distancing = social distancing for a lot of people, situations, and activities.  Personally speaking,  I know that there are people that I will no longer be friends or acquaintances with after the pandemic, solely because the physical separation led to the dissolution of the relationship.  You can get into nitpicky classifications about the differences between "friends", "associates", "activity buddies", and "fellow cultists" if you want; but the point is that many social relationships will not persist without attention, and regular physical proximity is a good way to fulfill that attention requirement.  Back towards the beginning of the pandemic, one of my hashing buddies remarked that 1 hour of social video chats or zoom meetings felt like a frustrating waste of time; in ways that spending 3-6 hours running, joking, and drinking together never did.

This sort of reminds me of a reddit thread I read recently, where the OP was trying to determine if he should consider the people he was playing D&D with online "friends" or not.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

10/23

Have to update.  I remembered that after I all nighted at the con I did an all nighter to rebuild a server that crashed hard.  This was about 1993 or 1994.  The server that ran Nurse scheduling had several disks die due to a bad power supply.  Had the power supply fixed, installed hard disks and installed the os and kicked off the backups.  Our backups at that time did not install from cold iron (you needed a running operating system).  Then I had to run 4 or 5 backups because we did incremental backups off a weekly full backup.  It was near the end of the week so we had a lot of backups to reinstall.  Got done about 9 am and went home to sleep.   I don't know why I did not remember this.  It was such a delightful memory.

• Like 10

Inquiry for the Twenty Second of October

Sometimes you go into a project super excited, only to lose steam somewhere along the way. What was the last miniature project that happened with you, and how did you get through it, if you did? How did you feel about it after it was done (or shelved, or trashed)?

Hmmm... my last super excited project got completed.  The only ones I've lost steam on recently have been the less exciting ones.  I've never trashed a mini, though I've shelved a few. 

12 hours ago, Crowley said:

10/23

It's been a few years.  No good reason, I just couldn't sleep.  Fortunately it was a Saturday and I didn't have to go into work the next day.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Crowley said:

10/23

This past Spring. Although a few days ago was close to one. Insomnia.

• Like 8

On 10/23/2020 at 5:10 AM, Crowley said:

10/23

As in up for 24 hours?  I don’t do well with that at all; I could probably count the number of times I’ve ever done it.  2008, though; work was running an emergency response exercise and the book says that the team has to be prepared for 24-hour operations in the event of.  It was a pointless exercise for a bunch of reasons, but I got tagged with a night shift after the first day shift, and barely made it to my hotel the next morning...

The first time I ever tried staying awake that long was in college; I am generally a morning person, and even today (I’m nearly 60) I like to be up early and then take a nap after lunch if necessary.  Anyway, it was for experiement. We had a social event right after the end of classes that ran until ~0100, and one of the guys announced that he’d be running his D&D game after, so I joined in.  I was up for 27 hours, and then was asleep for 21 hours (minus a short wake and food break at about 8-10 hours into sleep).  Since I was nearly incoherent and had to catch up with all the missed sleep anyway, it certainly never seemed like a tool that would be any use for school.

• Like 9