Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

15 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 1st - The spooky season is upon us! What is your favorite horror/supernatural/Halloween themed entertainment? Can be anything... tv, movie, book, comedy special, burlesque show... Don't limit yourself!

we've been enjoying Grimm quite a bit.

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Crowley said:

October 1st - The spooky season is upon us! What is your favorite horror/supernatural/Halloween themed entertainment? Can be anything... tv, movie, book, comedy special, burlesque show... Don't limit yourself!

I've always loved vampires (no sparkles), Nosteratu, Dracula (Gary Oldman!) And the book too, Love at First Bite (hehe 'come back black chicken!' ), Interview with a Vampire (the books) though I'd watch the movie again, Lost Boys, I'll think of more later. Of course, Beatlejuice, Addams Family and The Nightmare before Christmas are classic. 

I'm not a fan of horror, psych thrillers or jump scares. I tend to analyze them instead... the only one I really liked was Angel Heart... still creeps me out... nope no need to watch it again.

Will also need to read Amphigorey and some Edgar Allen Poe this season. I have more and more ideas for educating my children...

Edited by Dragoneye
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

The Weeping Angels give me nightmares every time. So creepy. Would rather face a million Daleks than one Weeping Angel.

I liked that one but some of my favourites are Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead. They are a perfect example of what I mean about horror elements in things maybe not labelled as horror. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

The Weeping Angels give me nightmares every time. So creepy. Would rather face a million Daleks than one Weeping Angel.

Yeah... 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Crowley said:

Halloween is a great excuse to watch Army of Darkness.  Or Ghostbusters.  Or anything with Christopher Lee and/or Peter Cushing.  Or Vincent Price.

Do any of the streaming services carry any of the Hammer horror films?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

But what about Die Hard? ::o:

I'm still so thankful to a friend for "dragging" me out to see Alien vs Predator:Requiem.  Wasn't the best of movies, but was nice to just relax and watch a movie with a friend. 

...And escape my parents for a little bit, since they still lived near me at that point.  Oh yeah, he was cute too, that always helps ^_^

• Like 7

Question for October the Second

As I am expecting to become a parent rather imminently, what's one piece of advice you'd give me?

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Crowley said:

As I am expecting to become a parent rather imminently, what's one piece of advice you'd give me?

That's quite the October surprise there.  Congratulations!  

I don't have any children, so I'll pass along the advice my aunts and uncles tried giving my dad when I was growing up: "Dude, chill out."

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Make sure you get as much sleep as you can now.  In the days, weeks, or months you have, focus on getting your normal amount on rest.  Avoid late nights or anything else that will affect your sleep schedule.

After you welcome your wonderful child to the world, you’re not going to get a good night’s sleep for months, possibly years. You will be tired and exhausted.

Beyond that... good luck.  It’s going to be a grand, wonderful, frustrating adventure whose outcome you only have partial control over.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Crowley said:

CONGRATS!!!!

Stay true to yourself, you will get a lot of wanted and unwanted advice from almost everybody you will meet.

Filter that info and use the parts you feel comfortable with.

You're the parent of this child and you will feel what is right and what is wrong for the little hamster.

I wish you an your family a wonderful happy life.

And like mentioned above, sleep, whenever you can...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I forgot about the original Poltergeist movie, loved that one.

I learned about this recently and it's kind of making me want to watch that again, just to see how much that scene creeps me out now:

https://screenrant.com/poltergeist-movie-ending-real-human-skeletons-reason/

39 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Well, I don't have kids but based on what I've seen from some of my close friends who do it appears you want to be rich and have a nanny. Also, I am reliably informed by this weird hillbilly guy in my board game group who is willing to babysit for a six pack that if the child starts screaming for no reason you can get them to stop by screaming louder. Also, if you do hire a weird hillbilly guy from your board game group to babysit your child for a six pack then you may want to get a nanny cam. Not that you're going to see anything nefarious, but that screaming thing would probably go over well on youtube or something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I do not have kids, but I have a gaggle of nieces and friends with kiddos. My two best pieces of advice are CONSTANT VIGILANCE! and Don't Panic!

Enjoy the little moments, and as any good trooper will tell you sleep and eat at every opportunity. 

Cheers. 

As someone who saw the original Ghostbusters in the theater it's always a good time to revisit it. This year may be a good time to do a Hammer Horror film watching. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I have no children - I advise you not to take my advice. :upside:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

hmm

No Matter how good, or how bad the stage is : THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

with a newborn  it felt like my life got broken up into 2 hour chunks.  What can I do in this 2 hours before the baby needs something again. 

luckily it passes.  

Also both of my 2 year olds were well behaved, and interesting.   

3 was not my favorite year with either kid. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2