Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, October 26th:

Today is National Pumpkin Day. Have you obtained your pumpkin for carving? Have you carved it yet?

Have you ever roasted a pumpkin? What's your favorite pumpkin (or pumpkin spiced) food/drink?

I have never carved a pumpkin; it just was one of those thing that never happened with me. I do make Jack O'Lanterns out of green stuff though.

I don't much care for pumpkins as a food. A slice of pie buried under whipped cream or ice cream is about it.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Today is National Pumpkin Day. Have you obtained your pumpkin for carving? Have you carved it yet?

Have you ever roasted a pumpkin? What's your favorite pumpkin (or pumpkin spiced) food/drink?

Haven't carved a pumpkin in years and no plans to do so this year. I have roasted many pumpkins in the past, although for the life of me I can't remember when the last time that was or what it was roasted for. I don't know if it's my favorite, but I like pumpkin muffins a lot.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

No plans to carve or even buy pumpkins here.  Don't own a vehicle, so I'm not hauling a heavy fragile thing that far..  Or paying the Instacart driver to do such for me. 

As for pumpkin spice, I used to like the ones from Starbucks five years ago, but then they changed something and it went from irresistible to "what on earth is this..." for me... 

• Like 9

Yes we have our jack o lantern pumpkin already. It will get chopped a day or two before Halloween. I have roasted pumpkin but mostly I do chocolate chip muffins and pies with mine. The wife and MIL do a porridge with it. I'm honestly not a fan of pumpkin spice flavour for anything except pies.

• Like 9

I don't go in for holiday decorations much, and especially not Halloween. Never been a fan.

I like a slice of pumpkin pie now and again, don't get the whole 'pumpkin spice' (whatever that means) craze. I'm a simple man, my complexities lie more along a philosophical path.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

I don't decorate, no matter the holiday.

Nope & definitely, none on the pumpkin foods.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

We have a pumpkin; I has not been carved yet.  Whether it does get carved depends on motivation.  Like others, I have toasted seeds but not the whole pumpkin (or it's flesh).  I don't really eat pumpkin things, except occasionally the seeds.

• Like 10

I don't carve pumpkins anymore. When you live alone, it's not as much fun.
I've never roasted a pumpkin, I'm not a huge fan of gourds and the like. Whatever family pumpkins are a part of, I've never really liked them.
Franz pumpkin spice donuts. I will buy all of them when I see them. :lol:

• Like 10

No pumpkin. No carving in decades. Never roasted one. Don't remember ever trying pumpkin/pumpkin spice recipes.

I think I've spent more time with Pumpkin Orange paint that actual pumpkins.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 11

We carved our pumpkin and roasted the seeds last Tuesday, as an art night project, as my wife had never done either before and wanted to try.  We roasted the seeds with smoked paprika, turmeric, and cayenne; and they were delicious.  I've never roasted a pumpkin though; what's that all about?  Like, you just put the whole pumpkin in the oven or something?

I do like "pumpkin spice" as a general thing; it's one of my Basic Lich* qualities.  I don't think I have a specific favorite though. :lol:::P: 

*seems an appropriate, forum-friendly substitution for the term 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

On 10/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, Crowley said:

Quest for The Weekend of October 24th & 25th

What's something that makes you happy? Share a picture of it if you can.

Worryingly, despite putting quite a bit of thought into this one, I couldn't find an answer.

As far as I can tell, I'm simply either happy or I'm not.

No and no.

Neither is much of a thing around these parts yet, although I am seeing more carved pumpkin decorations than I used to (I'm guessing the larger supermarkets sell them, because none of the local places do).

• Like 11

1) No real reason to carve pumpkins for my balcony

2) Are you talking about lobbing pumpkins with delayed blast fireball in them?

3) Cinnamon and sugar toast, with the cinnamon replaced with pumpkin pie spice instead

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Today is National Pumpkin Day. Have you obtained your pumpkin for carving?

No pumpkins in this eyrie…

Have you carved it yet?

Uhh No.

Have you ever roasted a pumpkin?

Not even once.

What's your favorite pumpkin (or pumpkin spiced) food/drink?

Pumpkin Pie > Pumpkin Bread > Pumpkin Muffin

• Like 11

For those who haven't done it, you roast the pumpkin usually to make pumpkin puree that you'll then use for... Something else. Basically the same stuff you'll get from canned pumpkin.

Now if you want to try this, make sure to use a sugar pumpkin. Those are the small ones. The big carving pumpkins don't have enough sugar or flavor, and the texture isn't as good.

I used this year's pumpkin to make turnovers, muffins, and..  pumpkinies? Pumpkin brownies without coco. They do have dark chocolate chips in them.

IMG_20201019_172316.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

No, and we aren't getting one. Too much going on here for any kind of Halloween festivities. It'd probably just get smashed anyways by the elfhole neighbor who set fireworks off at 11:30 at night (he better not do it this Saturday, Dixie is super scared of the noise and I don't want her ripping her stitches).

Never roasted a pumpkin. Not a huge fan of pumpkin dishes in general, though my mom makes pumpkin bars with the canned stuff. Basically a pumpkin cake with raisins and cream cheese frosting, sliced into finger-length bars.

• Like 9