Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

2 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

No, and we aren't getting one. Too much going on here for any kind of Halloween festivities. It'd probably just get smashed anyways by the elfhole neighbor who set fireworks off at 11:30 at night (he better not do it this Saturday, Dixie is super scared of the noise and I don't want her ripping her stitches).

Never roasted a pumpkin. Not a huge fan of pumpkin dishes in general, though my mom makes pumpkin bars with the canned stuff. Basically a pumpkin cake with raisins and cream cheese frosting, sliced into finger-length bars.

Any chance that talking to him about your dog might help?

It takes a special kind of elfhole that is willing to do something that would hurt a dog.

If not, maybe play loud music so Dixie will not hear the fireworks?

I'm always happy when Newyears Eve has passed just because of that, Brutus hates the fireworks, now he's older he's doing better, but it's still bad.

My former dog Odin didn't care, Neither did Balthar the one before him.

But Pasja, the one I had as a kid, loved fireworks, he would stand watching it in the window, wagging his tail.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Any chance that talking to him about your dog might help?

It takes a special kind of elfhole that is willing to do something that would hurt a dog.

If not, maybe play loud music so Dixie will not hear the fireworks?

I have not engaged this neighbor in conversation, but based on the loud "discussions" I've heard coming from his garage between him and his wife, I don't think I'm missing anything. I don't know how he treats his dog, but he does have one, though I've seen his 10ish year old son running the dog around the neighborhood and not stopping to let it poop; the sidewalks have been littered with poop a few times (and no, they don't clean it up). Allowing that to happen moves the needle towards the "elfhole" direction on the meter, IMO.

Otherwise I know that he's the kind of guy who calls people "bro", and about a week ago I heard him through a half-open garage door blaring and drunkenly singing "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd (and ruining the song for me). Everything else I have heard would be rumors, nothing I've witnessed personally. He's not a direct neighbor; he's a few houses away, but since we're situated at a corner, we get the noise from everyone within four houses.

The year's been so long I can't remember when they moved in, but I know they weren't here this time last year. Music would be a good idea if I lived by myself; the elder occupants in the house view most music as noise (unless it's Neil Diamond or Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums). I'll take precautions and have Dixie in the farthest room and be ready to calm her... and if the police get a noise complaint call about fireworks, well, so be it.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for Monday, October 26th:

Today is National Pumpkin Day. Have you obtained your pumpkin for carving? Have you carved it yet?

Have you ever roasted a pumpkin? What's your favorite pumpkin (or pumpkin spiced) food/drink?

haven't bought one to carve, no where to put one

I have roasted pumpkin before, used for pie

favorite is pie

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Today is National Pumpkin Day. Have you obtained your pumpkin for carving? Have you carved it yet?

Have you ever roasted a pumpkin? What's your favorite pumpkin (or pumpkin spiced) food/drink?

I have not carved a pumpkin since elementary school and have no plans to do so this year.

Not that I recall. 

I can make a good pumpkin cheesecake.  While I like the spices in pumpkin spice individually, I'm not huge on the combo.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

No.

I can't carve what I don't have.

No.

Tie between pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie. I have had a few good pumpkin beers, too.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

No.

I can't carve what I don't have.

No.

Tie between pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie. I have had a few good pumpkin beers, too.

Great minds think alike....just sayin’. :poke:

• Haha 7

16 hours ago, Crowley said:

Kids carved two pumpkins last night. They did a great job! Roast? Hmm we've been baking pumpkins to make pumpkin bread does that count? Favorite... Lakefront brewery Pumpkin ale... best. Yum. Return question: have you seen an elephant eat a pumpkin? Our zoo gives them pumpkins every year, they revel in it, so fun to watch. They act like little kids on Christmas morning. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I like pumpkin pie and pumpkin seeds.  We used to carve pumpkins, but we realized early in our marriage that my wife is allergic to pumpkins.  The allergy has gotten considerably worse in recent years.  The last time she got a bit of pumpkin in her mouth it got close to an anaphylaxis event, so pumpkins do not come anywhere near our home these days.

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

On 10/24/2020 at 7:33 AM, Crowley said:

Quest for The Weekend of October 24th & 25th

What's something that makes you happy? Share a picture of it if you can.

A laugh with my wife, a hug from my kids are the easy ones.  Resolving a problem for someone at work, pulling the top off the 3d printer and seeing a flawless print, the smell of a hot cup of coffee, that first deep breath when I get outside for my morning walk... 

On 10/26/2020 at 7:36 AM, Crowley said:

We carved pumpkins with the kids last year.  With all the covid stuff this year, the excitement around the house isn't the same and we have not even bought any pumpkins.  I have eaten pumpkin in pasta (served in said pumpkin), roasted with other root vegetables, in a soup... The favorite is perfectly spiced pumpkin pie with real whipped cream (not the can stuff).  I prefer to keep my pumpkin flavoring in the pumpkin itself and out of my beverages and other things. 

• Like 10

On 10/26/2020 at 11:36 AM, Crowley said:

I've never carved a pumpkin, but I have carved a neep(turnip) and that was bad enough. I'm kinda clumsy and ended up with a few inadvertent gouges in my hand, so it's probably for the best that I don't do it anymore.

Outside of Starbucks, I don't really think that pumpkin spice is really a thing over here. I'm not going to pay £5 for some overpriced sugarwater to find out either :ph34r:

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Crowley said:

10/27

What's something your looking forward to in 2021?

It might be age related, but I have no anticipations for 2021. I pretty much live in the moment. Tomorrow is not promised to me.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Crowley said:

10/27

The end of 2020? 

Being able to see my mother in law again (provided this covid stuff gets sorted), going on a trip somewhere, going to one of the many concerts that were cancelled/delayed this summer (Rammstein, Slipknot and Parkway Drive). 

Basically, I'd hoping for a little of the old normal to creep back in. 

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, Crowley said:

10/27

ReaperCon. 
ReaperCon.
ReaperCon!
ReaperCon !!
REAPERCON !!

And maybe getting vaccinated...

• Like 4
  • Haha 8