Getting to Know You - October Edition

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Question for October the Second

As I am expecting to become a parent rather imminently, what's one piece of advice you'd give me?

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Stay true to yourself, you will get a lot of wanted and unwanted advice from almost everybody you will meet.

Filter that info and use the parts you feel comfortable with.

You're the parent of this child and you will feel what is right and what is wrong for the little hamster.

This.

5 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I don't have kids myself, but there's something I learned from my dad: Be a better parent than yours. That way you get to make all sorts of different mistakes! :lol:

And this.

Seriously. If there's something your parents did that you didn't like, don't do that. Similarly, if there's someone you wished they'd done more of, do that.

Once the little one is old enough to play with Legos, make it a habit to always wear SOMETHING on your feet. Stepping on those things HURTS!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

As I am expecting to become a parent rather imminently, what's one piece of advice you'd give me?

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Stay true to yourself, you will get a lot of wanted and unwanted advice from almost everybody you will meet.

Filter that info and use the parts you feel comfortable with.

You're the parent of this child and you will feel what is right and what is wrong for the little hamster.

And like mentioned above, sleep, whenever you can...

As I've mentioned in a previous thread, pretty much the above two points

As a third point, stock up your freezer with pre-made meals so all you have to do is re-heat them, makes it a lot easier for those days when you are just too tired to cook something properly

Final point - everyone will want to visit you and the baby. If you're too tired don't be afraid to say no, and if it's someone you trust to help out, ask them to help out with something (doing the vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, washing up, cooking a meal etc) that you just haven't had a chance to do. AND if you are having visitors get them to bring some easy-to-serve food along  so that you can have a warm meal that you don't have to cook yourself!

OH, and learn to eat one-handed ;-)

Edit: Final, final note, don't browse kickstarter at 1am when you have a baby sleeping on your chest!

Edited by ratsmitglied
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
14 hours ago, Crowley said:

Have a chat with your inner child. Remember what it was like to be the child and if some of those memories are sad,  try to find ways to do better by your kid.

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Read books to the spawnling as much as you can.

That ^ eventually the spawnling will want to read.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

with Legos, make it a habit to always wear SOMETHING on your feet. Stepping on those things HURTS!

Can confirm.

Regarding Legos: Buy Legos trays. Nobody sells Legos trays. But a plastic serving tray with about a one inch tall wall around the edge will save much heartache if building Legos Model kits. Those kits are complex.

But the tray will keep all the pieces together and tidy during the build preventing both lost pieces and injured feet.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

*Quisitor hamster yawns... sniffs freshly brewed coffee...

October the 3rd

What is the best thing to have happened to you this year so far?

What is the best thing you've done for someone else?

Hmm. I'm honestly trying to remember anything good happening this year, it's been a rough one. I guess getting the stimulus check?

The best thing I ever did for someone was be responsible for them having a kid a month before her husband's vasectomy. No, I'm not the father.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

October the 3rd

Best thing happened... hmmmm. I guess the fact that I've managed to stay healthy. Job search got derailed, but I've found a few positions that I might have a shot at, so I'll count myself lucky if I even get a follow up after the application. I always feel unhireable when I never hear back, despite having the qualifications posted.

Best thing I've done for someone else is probably just doing things for others, not just my parents, but for some random strangers. I remember seeing one not-quite-elderly couple loading animal feed into their vehicles, and the woman was short, trying to stack 50 lbs bags into the back while her husband watched. I approached carefully and asked if she needed help. She said no, but the man said yes, and as I loaded it for her, he thanked me and explained he couldn't do it because he was recovering from heart surgery (this was in early pandemic stages).

I'll also admit that I've probably had an equal number of selfish moments this year too. Not always in action, but in thoughts. Definitely not qualifying for sainthood.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Crowley said:

October the 3rd

Best thing this year was getting our own apartment. It’s given our little monster plenty of room to run around and terrorize us. 

Best thing I’ve done for someone else... outside of my job, find my husband a whole new job.

• Like 9

October the 3rd

2020 was not a good year. Nor was it that bad.

Best thing, health wise, would be the significant weight loss. I'm talking in the order of ~30 pounds (over 13.5 kg).

For someone else, it would be Mom's 75th birthday, just before COVID-19 hit.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

October the 3rd

Hard to say what the best thing to happen to me is. I'm healthy and my bills are getting paid. That's generally enough. Probably the best thing I've done for someone recently is paying my sister's rent. Her and her boyfriend are massage therapists and they work ren faires on the weekends. With Covid they were out of work for a couple of months and the ren faires are all closed this year. So money's pretty tight right now for them. 

2 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Best thing I have done is take up the sponsorship of a meetup group.  If I did not it would have gone away.  

Best thing that happened to me is that I am celebrating my 28th Anniversary today.

Happy anniversary!

• Like 7