Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Getting to Know You - October Edition

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

*Quisitor hamster yawns... sniffs freshly brewed coffee...

October the 3rd

What is the best thing to have happened to you this year so far?

What is the best thing you've done for someone else?

Best thing: Moving to our new home.

Best thing I did for someone else? Assist the Police when a young girl fell of a horse.

3 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Best thing I have done is take up the sponsorship of a meetup group.  If I did not it would have gone away.  

Best thing that happened to me is that I am celebrating my 28th Anniversary today.

Congrats!!

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

October the 3rd

It hasn't been a great year, but I've gotten into painting a lot more, enough that I've actually finished a few units. A couple of my figures have been shown on Warhammer TV's Twitch stream.

Not sure what the best thing is, but I'm always here to counsel my friends through things in life.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

October the 3rd

Hmm. I discovered I can stay in shape without the gym, and I have managed to stay damn fit despite quarantines. If anything, I'm more fit now than I was going in. Turns out exercise and home cooked healthy meals do wonders. A few other minor good things but not tons special.

My best thing done for someone else is more a "would have done". I decided to participate in a phase 1 covid vaccine trial, and was in contact with the research group here that had it listed. They'd let me know when it started so I could go in for screening and hopefully volunteer. I'm not sure there is anything else I've wanted to do more, and making the choice to do so was the most fundamentally right choice I've ever made. But it won't happen. The trial that would have been here was updated, and will be taking place in Australia instead. If another trial comes here, I'm 100% going to volunteer, phase 1, 2, or 3. It feels like an obligation, in a weird way.

So otherwise on doing good? I delivered food for a friend in travel-induced quarantine. I painted figures for friends. I did a tiny painting fundraiser. Done small-goods through the year. Hard to say if there is a best.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, one more piece of advice on the child front @Crowley: prepare yourself to be covered in snot. Like, all the time :wacko::zombie:

They should put that in those educational videos to discourage teen pregnancy. Because that truly is horrifying. ::o:

And yes, I'm imagining you a la Ghostbusters being slimed...

Edited by ManvsMini
typo
  • Haha 8

9 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:
2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, one more piece of advice on the child front @Crowley: prepare yourself to be covered in snot. Like, all the time :wacko::zombie:

They should put that in those educational videos to discourage teen pregnancy. Because that truly is horrifying. ::o:

And yes, I'm imagining you a la Ghostbusters being slimed...

slimed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

October the 3rd

I think I'll go with "we got a semi-reasonably sized bonus at work" as the "best thing", as that sure helped with a number of things earlier in the year, including an Ikea "raid". 

Best for someone else? Uh... Not quite sure how to answer that one, so instead I'll go with... I helped hubby with getting started in Elite:Dangerous plus how to get keybinds better suited to what he wanted to do, AND he's fallen in love with just randomly flying around, aka exploration... And updating market boards. 

Supposed there's also I've got him now wanting his own HOTAS setup too... 

• Like 8

On 10/2/2020 at 6:42 AM, Crowley said:

Question for October the Second

As I am expecting to become a parent rather imminently, what's one piece of advice you'd give me?

Sometimes (often) they need to just cry theselves out. They will be ok. They wont die or hate you for not comforting them every moment. Put noise cancelling headphones on your wife, force liquids (alcoholic are best) and hold her down or distract her til the crying stops. She will hate you for it, but it is better for everyone. I spent several nights in the basement drinking and crying (with my hubby making sure I stayed there) while my baby learned he'd be ok to fall asleep on his own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

the best thing I have done - is probably extended my running back up to 6.2 miles its been nearly a decade  since I could do that distance without injury. 

(It still wrecks my day - 4.5 miles is better  daily run. 

The best thing I have done for others, is really enjoy some of the time I spend with my kids.  Not everyday perhaps, but we can make each other happier. 

and everyone needs that this year.   

- we burned through 3 lbs of Dry ice today, just cause I found it at a grocery store.    There may have been costumes. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Crowley said:

October the 3rd

THE BEST thing that has happened to me thus far this year HAS TO BE finally getting my new cochlear implant. Escaping the silence was WONDERFULAND the potential of the Little Beasty is astounding.

Things I do for other Folk I do anonymously. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2020 at 7:42 PM, Crowley said:

Question for October the Second

As I am expecting to become a parent rather imminently, what's one piece of advice you'd give me?

I'm far from qualified on this subject, so only advice is to start writing the dad jokes and try to enjoy things as they pass by. 

October the 3rd

The bst thing, a lot of things, but a person I met recently told me yesterday they really thought I was a nice person and they trusted me, which was very kind. Made my rough days and all the struggle this year worth it. 

I'll keep what I've done for others private, I doubt we'll ever know the true impact of the things we do for others. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

October the 3rd

Best is kind of hard; it's good for me and my family, but kinda selfish at the same time. Earlier this year, we were told that the business I work for will be relocating to Texas. I was asked to make the move and offered a pretty substantial bonus as well as a nice pay raise to do so. I'm going, but I'm not super keen on being 1700 miles away from my mother.

Best for someone else? I honestly don't know, I try to be a decent person to those around me every day. I hold doors for people, get the thing off the top shelf at the grocery store for people, and offer to help carry heavy things. Those are all relatively small things, but maybe they're pretty big for the other person? I tried to give blood, but I'm not allowed to, due to my military service and the places I've been. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 10/3/2020 at 7:22 AM, Crowley said:

October the 3rd

ReaperCon ? Yes, ReaperCon.  For reasons :ph34r: I won’t go into the teleCon version of the event was likely far better for me than the live event could have been. 

Second best (but deserves mention) is two memberof this forum have helped me expand my 1:1200 navies considerably. (It is a funny scale, you’d think such tiny models would all look much the same, and that one could mix and match models from different sources ...... but, that really does not work.)

There is this little Burger Box joint that is out of the way, and not as easy to find as the Kentucky-Fried-Wendy-McDonal-Bells of the world. I visit this BB often when I venture out for supplies. I am doing my bit to keep them alive....? I guess that is a thing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question for October 4th

It's a busy Sunday, but you find yourself with 30 minutes where you can do whatever you want to do. How do you spend those precious minutes?

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for October 4th

It's a busy Sunday, but you find yourself with 30 minutes where you can do whatever you want to do. How do you spend those precious minutes?

zzzzzzZZZzzzz zzzZZzzzzz

*** wakes up from 30 minute nap ***

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Question for October 4th

Either put a color on whatever I'm painting currently, or read a book.

• Like 8