Sign in to follow this  
CaptainPete

Halloween 2020 Horror Movie (and etc) Thread

We watched the original Pumpkin head movie last night.  Great movie, great monster by Stan Winston. 

• Like 4

It's a Halloween movie, not horror but good comedy. One of my favorites as a wee lad (along with Ernest Scared Stupid):

1985537528_spacedinvaders.jpg.065ba91402d966b1ae8f9d1886490a81.jpg

A group of Martian army reservists take a wrong turn towards the battle they are supposed to be fighting and crash on Earth during Halloween. Only other movie I've ever seen the young girl from the first Jurassic Park movie in (always bothers me when I see faces and try to place them).

• Like 5

The original Ghostbusters...

And I Sell the Dead.

The Auld Grump - ye gods, we want to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife.... *EDIT* In case anyone hasn't seen the trailer....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4

So far, I've managed to watch:

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters 2

Nightmare Before Christmas

Blade

Addams Family Values

Addams Family (the recent cartoon)

Beetlejuice

Still up to watch:

The Mummy

Transylvania 6-5000

Hocus Pocus

??

• Like 4

Last night we watched Grabbers, it was a very enjoyable horror comedy set on an island off Ireland.  The monsters have an unusual weakness our heroes exploit to its fullest and hilarity ensues. 

• Like 3

Just thought of a Michael J. Fox movie The Frighteners, if anyone ever saw that. Comedy-horror, but I remember it being pretty good. Has elements that are similar to the Odd Thomas movie (and I presume the book series, though I never read it), which is also a decent one for Halloween.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Citrine said:

Last night we watched Grabbers, it was a very enjoyable horror comedy set on an island off Ireland.  The monsters have an unusual weakness our heroes exploit to its fullest and hilarity ensues. 

Very fun movie! Totally forgot about that one. May have to watch it again in the future. Thanks for reminding me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Just thought of a Michael J. Fox movie The Frighteners, if anyone ever saw that. Comedy-horror, but I remember it being pretty good. Has elements that are similar to the Odd Thomas movie (and I presume the book series, though I never read it), which is also a decent one for Halloween.

Don't forget that Peter "Lord of the Rings" Jackson directed it. It's a great bridge between his horror movies and Hollywood blockbusters.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

The only Peter Jackson movie I particularly care for.

I had forgotten Spaced Invanders. "Prepare to die earth scum!"

Lot of great movies here. I am also stupidly excited about the new Ghostbusters movie.

• Like 2

Okay just watched "US" 

it was okay scare-wise but did not hold together.  the number and independent survival  of "Others"  violated my suspension of disbelief. 

and talking it over this morning with my elder spawn, I not only realized what I am looking for in a horror movie, but why. 

I only decide if it is a good horror movie after its over.  Did it make sense? was it internally consistent, did the characters feel like real people? 

weather I was scared in the moment was beside the point, at least for me.  Even the heart-pounding trip from the living room to my bed is a price, not a goal. 

(I watch most horror movies at night, alone) 

I judge horror like I do science fiction.   Its just that I expect Sci_Fi   to lay out (most of) the rules at the beginning and Horror reveals the rules at the end. 

figuring out the rules is much of the tension/enjoyment. 

On 10/21/2020 at 5:31 PM, Citrine said:

Loved Grabbers.   It felt like I was drunk the whole time.   I'm going to spoil the gimmick because I think it adds.  The monsters wont eat humans, if there blood-alcohol content is over .1 

so everyone in the small Irish town has to get very drunk, and stay that way.   Then fight monsters. 

I laughed so hard it was hard to breathe in some scenes. 

Spoiling this directly contradicts what I said earlier,  but this one was way better comedy than horror.  that said the movie was internally consistent as well. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Evilhalfling said:

Okay just watched "US" 

it was okay scare-wise but did not hold together.  the number and independent survival  of "Others"  violated my suspension of disbelief. 

and talking it over this morning with my elder spawn, I not only realized what I am looking for in a horror movie, but why. 

I only decide if it is a good horror movie after its over.  Did it make sense? was it internally consistent, did the characters feel like real people? 

weather I was scared in the moment was beside the point, at least for me.  Even the heart-pounding trip from the living room to my bed is a price, not a goal.

You are ready: Honest Trailers: "Us"

• Thanks 1

Started the series "Haunting at Hill House" while painting last night. Seems like a good show.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 11:13 AM, Crowley said:

So far, I've managed to watch:

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters 2

Nightmare Before Christmas

Blade

Addams Family Values

Addams Family (the recent cartoon)

Beetlejuice

Still up to watch:

The Mummy

Transylvania 6-5000

Hocus Pocus

??

Up this afternoon: Rocky Horror Picture Show! I'm so embarrassed to have left that off the list...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1