Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Snowpaint

Need help with my pre-painting prep work

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I just got the Fungal Bruiser and the Marsh Troll and am having a hard time getting the arms to fit snug to the body of the mini. I'm nervous to start trying to shave down the tab to try and get it to fit better. I'm still a novice at this and haven't had to fit pieces together yet. Follow up question, do you usually paint the pieces before glueing them in place? Maybe first coat before putting it all together and finish work once assembled?

Thanks!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say the parts are not fitting snug, are you saying they don't want to go all the way in, or they have loose fit?  If the fit is too tight, there is not issue shaving things down to make a better fit.  If they are loose, as long as there are some surfaces touching, the glue will hold.

 

In some cases there will be gaps, which is not unusual.  Gaps can be filled with an epoxy putty such as Green Stuff (Blue/Yellow kneadatite) or Aves Apoxie Sculpt and blended in.

 

Whether you assemble before painting or after is entirely a judgement call based on what areas of the model may be obstructed by the attached parts.  If you are able to get a brush into a space after assemble, the it will certainly help in the long run by painting assembled.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clearman said:

When you say the parts are not fitting snug, are you saying they don't want to go all the way in, or they have loose fit?  If the fit is too tight, there is not issue shaving things down to make a better fit.  If they are loose, as long as there are some surfaces touching, the glue will hold.

Thanks Clearman. The arm seems to not want to go in all the way. I can tell that getting them to fit is a matter of getting it aligned just right, and I don't want to start messing with the overall shape of the tab to get it to fit better. But I see what you mean, if it ends up a bit loose, the glue should hold it in place.

Thanks for the advice on painting as well! 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Snowpaint said:
1 hour ago, Clearman said:

When you say the parts are not fitting snug, are you saying they don't want to go all the way in, or they have loose fit?  If the fit is too tight, there is not issue shaving things down to make a better fit.  If they are loose, as long as there are some surfaces touching, the glue will hold.

Thanks Clearman. The arm seems to not want to go in all the way. I can tell that getting them to fit is a matter of getting it aligned just right, and I don't want to start messing with the overall shape of the tab to get it to fit better. But I see what you mean, if it ends up a bit loose, the glue should hold it in place.

Thanks for the advice on painting as well! 

 

 

I find that I often need to shave a millimeter or two off the very ends of the tabs, effectively shortening their length to get them to fit real snug.

 

 

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

 

 

I find that I often need to shave a millimeter or two off the very ends of the tabs, effectively shortening their length to get them to fit real snug.

 

 

It seems like this is what I'm going to do. Very slowly...

My introduction to miniature painting was Star Wars Legion just last year. Those figures seemed to need a lot of fussing with the tabs to fit well, and I was really bad at it. Now that I'm trying to actually learn to paint and taking my time, I'm hoping to do a better job. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snowpaint said:

It seems like this is what I'm going to do. Very slowly...

My introduction to miniature painting was Star Wars Legion just last year. Those figures seemed to need a lot of fussing with the tabs to fit well, and I was really bad at it. Now that I'm trying to actually learn to paint and taking my time, I'm hoping to do a better job. 

 

If you shave off too much and create a gap, you can always use a little putty/greenstuff to fill that up and paint over it.

Don't be scared.

I've rescued minis with broken parts and such and you couldn't see it after painting.

Have fun!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another possibility is that the receptacle the tab is to fit in is also too small ... too tight.  You might have to carve it out a bit ... a tiny bit .. so that the tab fits better.   All of these misfitting issues involve lots of dry fitting, then micro-adjustments, then dry fitting, then.....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Snowpaint said:

Follow up question, do you usually paint the pieces before glueing them in place? Maybe first coat before putting it all together and finish work once assembled?

 

This depends on how much of the figure is blocked by the additional piece.

 

Lately, most of what I've been painting is pre-assembled so I haven't had a real choice.  But I waited til Rauthuros was mostly done before I started assembling him, and even then I jumped the gun a bit and probably should have held off assembly until I finished a couple other parts.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, strawhat said:

This depends on how much of the figure is blocked by the additional piece.

Lately, most of what I've been painting is pre-assembled so I haven't had a real choice.  But I waited til Rauthuros was mostly done before I started assembling him, and even then I jumped the gun a bit and probably should have held off assembly until I finished a couple other parts.

Yes, exactly. For the Fungal Bruiser I can say that the arms don't really get in the way of painting if you have steady hands. I haven't painted the marsh troll yet, but judging from the Rock Troll I would advise maybe painting the legs and feet before attaching them to the base. If the right arm is separate, you might also get his side painted up before attaching the fish--you *can* reach into the crannies between fish and troll with a fine brush to paint, but it's probably going to be easier going if you don't have to.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rigel said:

Yes, exactly. For the Fungal Bruiser I can say that the arms don't really get in the way of painting if you have steady hands. I haven't painted the marsh troll yet, but judging from the Rock Troll I would advise maybe painting the legs and feet before attaching them to the base. If the right arm is separate, you might also get his side painted up before attaching the fish--you *can* reach into the crannies between fish and troll with a fine brush to paint, but it's probably going to be easier going if you don't have to.

This makes a lot of sense. I trimmed minute amounts and constantly test fit the arms last night and got them to fit well. As I did that, I came to the same conclusion about the troll's arm holding the fish. I'm going to do at least the first few colors before attaching it. And I think I will assemble the Fungal Bruiser before painting. 

Thanks everyone for the advice! Eventually I'll put up some WIP pics. I want to work through some more practice pieces before I try my hand at these guys. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...