Sign in to follow this  
Jellyranger69

The Indian In The Cupboard

The Bones Winged monkeys, so I could raise an army and conquer the world! Mwuhahahahahahahahahaha!

• Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

The Bones Winged monkeys, so I could raise an army and conquer the world! Mwuhahahahahahahahahaha!

Aw no, flying monkeys flinging poo! That has to count as chemical warfare and violate the Geneva Protocol.

• Haha 7

Hecklemeyer...  ::D:

Also, my whole collection of the 1980's vintage LJN Dungeons and Dragons action figures... Well, except for Tiamat, of course - don't need any "pets" setting the curtains on fire when they get told they can't eat the neighbors' cats.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Slave minis to help me paint all the other minis. They can paint the dang eyes. 

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I don't think any of the Sophie's are plastic? They are all metal, which is problematic for the cupboard.

As I do recall from the book series, the cupboard can only bring plastic figures to life (due to the nature of how the cupboard was created, which The Mystery of the Cupboard tells, see spoiler below if you aren't ever going to read it). I don't remember if the movie ever touched on that.

Reveal hidden contents

The maker of the cupboard was a toy maker predominantly of pewter soldiers. When plastic came out, which he despised and viewed as inferior, it basically ruined his trade. So, at his mother's suggestion, he built the cupboard and poured all of his hate for plastic figures into it.

With that in mind, I don't like any of my painted plastic figures enough to want them brought to life; most of them are masses of evil enemy troops.

The books had a lot of other oddities...one of the big ones being that it was the key that actually did it. It also did work on non-plastic, the entire thing of going back in time that led to the tornado that wrecked a chunk of where they lived being a big part of it, along with the hat detail and teepee paintings that they became when they used the key with a larger chest to send themselves the other direction. It also only worked on things that represented something real, or could be real (Though they could be from the future).

It could be interesting to see what comes out with minis from longer RPG campaigns, see what they represent that way. An aquarium full of dinosaurs is a distinct possibility considering my collection as well.

But a lot of older toys and decorations would be going in before the minis would for the most part. One of the lightsabers, the Blue Cube from Animorphs, and a few others...and would become a drain on funds to have some real fun with things...or just to troll some people.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, SotF said:

But a lot of older toys and decorations would be going in before the minis would for the most part. One of the lightsabers, the Blue Cube from Animorphs, and a few others...and would become a drain on funds to have some real fun with things...or just to troll some people.

Ah, but then you'd be using other people for nothing other than your own pleasure, which is one of the primary lessons along the main character's journey. Spoilers for a bit more on this in case you have no inclination to ever read the books.

Spoiler

Without giving much away, in the book every plastic figure that gets brought to life is actually someone from the past; they're essentially yanked from the timeline and thrown into the figure (which becomes flesh and blood), but still actual people. In one book there is a moment when he goes to bring to life a figure from a previous book, only to find nothing but the WWI uniform neatly folded, as while time flowed by in the present, time also went for the soldier and he died in the war.

While they are children's books (I read most of the series in 4th grade?) they are quite fun to read. In reading more about them just now on Wikipedia, apparently in certain places the books are quite controversial due to the stereotypical depiction of Native Americans. Ten-year-old MvM never picked up on that... but it did make him check out books from the library to learn more about the different tribes.

Edited by ManvsMini
clarification and typos
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Ah, but then you'd be using other people for nothing other than your own pleasure, which is one of the primary lessons along the main character's journey. Spoilers for a bit more on this in case you have no inclination to ever read the books.

Hide contents

Without giving much away, in the book every plastic figure that gets brought to life is actually someone from the past; they're essentially yanked from the timeline and thrown into the figure (which becomes flesh and blood), but still actual people. In one book there is a moment when he goes to bring to life a figure from a previous book, only to find nothing but the WWI uniform neatly folded, as while time flowed by in the present, time also went for the soldier and he died in the war.

While they are children's books (I read most of the series in 4th grade?) they are quite fun to read. In reading more about them just now on Wikipedia, apparently in certain places the books are quite controversial due to the stereotypical depiction of Native Americans. Ten-year-old MvM never picked up on that... but it did make him check out books from the library to learn more about the different tribes.

The movie is what's mention here as the books are a very different thing with the mechanics of it. The books also never consider non-historical figures from what I remember, I didn't read the last couple books there. The plastic limitation didn't seem to apply in the early parts of the series though.

For the using other people, the movie's scene with all the toys in the cupboard implies that other things would become real as well, so things like toy lightsabers and such would become real if you put them in.

The trolling is more of the grabbing a teleporter/cloaking device along with a costume and popping up in live feeds or news broadcasts. Something like a power ranger appearing on stage during a presidential debate type thing, not really doing anything other than appear for a few seconds and then leave...

• Like 2

My shiny Ma'al drakar. After spending so many hours with him, coming up with names and personalities for each head (not to mention having the occasional barely coherent conversation while painting him), I feel like of all my minis, he's the one I'm the closest to. :wub:

Any of our PC gaming minis would be a lot of fun, though. Imagine hearing the story of each fight scene from their perspective! 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 8

Hm...

I'd put in a Sophie, of course. Probably Nemesra, also. 

I'm not certain about the Half Orc in Oathsworn's HISS series. She might be a bit too much of a handfull...   

Their Hedgehog Alchemist, of course.

Possibly even their Mouse Wardancer. 

The Female Kitsume Mage, Pepper the Cat Gypsy, and Ali Sparrow, Cat Pirate, from Dark Sword.

I'd have to hunt around for figures from my Anime Obsession... 

• Like 2

I seem to recall OneBoot has a little plastic purple kitty in her possession - she could bring her forum avatar to life... ::D:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

I quite enjoyed the book as a wee fledgling. As for what figures i would put in? Definitely a Sophie. Not sure who else. Need to think on who would be an interesting conversationalist. 

Yeah, I remember the book from my youth, but I'm not sure I ever knew there was a movie version.

I'm not sure what I would choose, but based on the events of the book, nothing that can fly or make a serious ranged attack.

I'm in charge here - I'll not risk having my toys overthrow me!

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, SotF said:

The movie is what's mention here as the books are a very different thing with the mechanics of it. The books also never consider non-historical figures from what I remember, I didn't read the last couple books there. The plastic limitation didn't seem to apply in the early parts of the series though.

Yes, I am specifically talking about the books (movie was too blah). Wasn't sure if the OP (@Jellyranger69) knew the movie was based off them. In the very first book they mention the plastic limitation, when the main character tells his friend about it, because he's already tried other materials with no success.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I seem to recall OneBoot has a little plastic purple kitty in her possession - she could bring her forum avatar to life... ::D:

Why would anyone wants to bring their avatar to life?

**** Paints a Warg as a Glitterwolf, throws it into the Cupboard****

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Yes, I am specifically talking about the books (movie was too blah). Wasn't sure if the OP (@Jellyranger69) knew the movie was based off them. In the very first book they mention the plastic limitation, when the main character tells his friend about it, because he's already tried other materials with no success.

Ahhhh interesting, and that explains a lot. The movie neglected this fact I think.

• Like 5