Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
So just recently finished these three go-lucky ladies, a trio of Dancing Girls sculpted quite a while back by Dennis Mize. Colors were the hardest part fo figure out plus I tried to do some semi-transparent clothing, not sure how well that turned out
and here they are together:
Wanted different hair and different skin tones for each one. Relatively small figures, almost horrified when I see them so close up, but oh well, such is the curse of this hobby. I'd painted a set of them maybe 15 years ago. Don't have any pictures of the original set unfortunately, and then I went and sold them on eBay for I don't remember at all how much. So I'm glad I got a hold of another copy to do again and keep.
I'll probably be putting them on super-simple bases in the near future, just so they don't fall over.
So anyways, hope you enjoy!
I can't begin to tell you how excited i am that my parents found these in the basement in some supplies i had stored. These are Ral Partha models from 1988 to 1991. I bought them with my allowance back when i was like 9 or 10 and am thrilled to see these again. I remember being so afraid to paint them because i didn't want to mess them up, that i never ever tried.
These are primed and need to be stripped. These are early pewter-white metal. They even had packaging that read "now lead free".
What I'm wanting to do is savor the joy of painting them, now that I'm way more capable. However...i need to get this crappy primer off of them. These are 30+ years old and I'm blown away they look as good as they do.
Anyone have a solution that can strip this down to the metal?
Well 2020 is over and even though the year wasn't so great I did get my dragon goal of 12 dragons completed (actually completed 15 !) So with the new year I'm looking to try it again.
The last year I did a bunch of dragons from all eras a d makes. This year I think I will make the challenge a little more specific. This year I'll try for 12 dragons from defunct companies: grenadier, Ral Partha, Thunderbolt Mountain, heritage, and others that are no longer producing today. Whether i include minis from companies that died recently, im not sure (and I know Ral Partha lives on as Iron Wind and Grenadier lives on as Merltion? But I'm including them because its my challenge and the ones I have are the originals.
That said the first piece I did was the Bridge of Sorrows. It came out really well so I let my better half look through my old boxed sets and she chose the next one: Clutch of Fear!
This is another mini that I have had sitting in its box waiting for decades to be completed and its time has come (besides if I really mess up they have started recasting the molds again so its not an utter disaster. Also, since i have this one in the original box, I thought i would do a WIP to show how it goes.
Here is what it look like when I opened the box...
All the parts are there, including the instructions (more on those in the future) and an "inspected by 3" as well as assembly instructions.
Hope you all enjoy the ride. I'll try to be diligent with updates.
this is one of those miniatures that has sat on my shelf of shame for far too many years (or decades even!). I got this as a used mini over 20 years ago which a paintjob that was actually flaking off the miniature. In addition I was missing a few parts, namely one leg and a wing bone. So I stripped the mini and put it in a baggy with the rest of my dragons.
and time passed....
about 4 months ago I opened up an unrelated box containing a keep wall from Games Workshop and there, lying in the box are the old pieces to the Bridge of Sorrows. I looked it over and I decided its time had come: I had some new painting skills and tricks to experiment with and the mini itself was just too iconic to be left lying forgotten in a box where no one would see it. With that I started cleaning up the mini and seeing what was left and what I could do with the mini.
I like the idea that drakes are a usually a little plainer than dragons, being occasionally eaten by said dragons, I decided I wanted the body to be a brown and started as such. However, that quickly got boring and I thought, 'what if he had some mating plumage and his wings brightened when that time of the year came around. Of course to woo the ladies he would need some really nice present, and what could be more like chocolates to a Wyvern than a damsel in distress! so with the dragon started it was time to move on to the rest of the diorama.
The wizard is done pretty typically, using a shade from dark to light which seems to work very well for me, but the centaur was a challenge. I went to start painting his armor using metallic and the miniature was just too small to let any sort of variation in the metallic show through. So I decided to try NMM and this time it worked! I really could not be more pleased with how the centaurs armor came out, looking for all the world like bare metal that has seen a number of battles but has not been allowed to rust but has lost some of that factory polish and shine. (if you cant tell i am really proud of that armor!)
So with that history, here are the results! I hope you like what you see. This is a really excellent model and one of the most dynamic set pieces I have. The plinth the piece rests on is a piece of black palm I got in a grab bag of wood and I chose it because the surface looks like muddy water and does a good job of making the bridge look like its just hanging there.
Who's Online 24 Members, 2 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)