Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

repurposed cardboard tube: lighthouse & towers

My wife asked if I wanted a leftover tube from a bolt of fabric. It's much thicker than paper towel - at least standard foamcore - and at 32 inches, would give me enough for a 12 inch lighthouse and 4 5 inch towers.

20201011_124746.jpg

• Like 9

Here's the lighthouse with whatever minis were handy for scale : 2inch diameter by 12 inch height, roughly 10x60feet?

I might do a plug out of foamcore for 2 different roof tops - one more fantasy tower,  1 more modern lighthouse.

20201011_131316.jpg

• Like 8

I finished cutting stuff- had to use a handsaw because it was sooo thick.

That lonely 1 ply round is a normal tube of paper towel. These are... 20 ply? More?

20201011_140111.thumb.jpg.ebae03d04d5de43df32e60c47172ca14.jpg

And here's a few towers cut with the20201011_135916.thumb.jpg.3d76018baa8bd27c742268b1042d2b96.jpg lighthouse and minis for scale. This will probably be it for a while until I cut some bricks. Only trying it with the towers, not the lighthouse.

• Like 10

I saw a photo where somebody that had done a tower with a tube like this, and had made a rickety wooden staircase running up, and spiraling around, the outside.  Made for a great playable area for precarious fights with the possibility of characters getting pushed off.

• Like 7

Yeah I like the idea, but also no lighthouse I've seen has that irl. And other options I don't feel like I can satisfactorily fake. Maybe I'll come up with something,  but this is for a really basic tower except for the top... which was part of the appeal. I intend to use clear plastic caps from a few hair products as the light.

I guess I could do a ladder like on a silo or chimney.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, lexomatic said:

You might already be aware of this, but incase you aren't, that kind of ladder can be done well using staples individually inserted as the rungs.  just pre-drill holes and glue in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

You might already be aware of this, but incase you aren't, that kind of ladder can be done well using staples individually inserted as the rungs.  just pre-drill holes and glue in place.

Office staples or carpentry staples?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:
2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Office staples or carpentry staples?

The time I did it, I used regular old office staples.    I would think either would work though.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I did not. I might use some upholstery staples. Nice and big. I only have mini staples handy otherwise.

• Like 4

So we have use for a rotary tool and I bit the bullet. I'll use it to cut a doorway and maybe a few windows and pre-drill the staple ladder. I'll start this up again then, but much work is delayed while I wait for the replacement dishwasher that was ordered because current one was delivered broken 3 weeks ago.  Most of my terrain/painting time is just gone now. I'm going to use acetate for the window.

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 4

Need to find spare mask to use rotary tool. Scoring with a blade is sloooow.

I have discovered right size plug.20201107_143922.thumb.jpg.3d44de44da078da8f9900d3764a3d6b5.jpg

I have a base for the lighthouse.20201107_143858.thumb.jpg.7d9d63ab2507dfdfe02b9f5be3ecdb31.jpg

I have the20201107_144957.thumb.jpg.307e0983467c6d8a673f2dd2d8b40c21.jpg beginning of 1 turret to see if I like it.

I found a spare thingy from Michael's that I got on clearance that's perfect for the light /top.20201107_143831.thumb.jpg.a16e6161ebc6d978a8021bf8f668f155.jpg20201107_143808.thumb.jpg.516a93d54fa7f88c5f1086fe944c2af9.jpg

• Like 3

For bricks or individual stones on the exterior of tube towers like these:

I suggest thin cardboard. The stuff cereal boxes are made from. It is flexible. Cut into rectangles, Glue to exterior. You only have to do a few to suggest the whole structure is masonry.

1-eKJNTCdOjP2VmomcuW8MhjgKF1I2X2m80Scng1

Check out the (lighthouse no less) tower in the upper left corner. The artist has indicated the whole structure is masonry by only drawing a few of the blocks. The same thing will work for your towers. Also you can vary the thickness of the 'blocks' you apply to the outside. 

• Index cards
  • Manila file folders
  • Cookie box cardboard

All are different thicknesses. Using a mix will give an indication that the masonry has shifted and settled a bit. Another consideration is cover up the spiral !  Scattered masonry blocks eliminating the spiral seams of tubes like this will prove very useful when it comes time to paint. The seam is a dead giveaway that screams, "I am a painted cardboard tube!!!" Get rid of it and you get a scale model tower.