Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finished cutting stuff- had to use a handsaw because it was sooo thick. That lonely 1 ply round is a normal tube of paper towel. These are... 20 ply? More? And here's a few towers cu

My wife asked if I wanted a leftover tube from a bolt of fabric. It's much thicker than paper towel - at least standard foamcore - and at 32 inches, would give me enough for a 12 inch lighthouse and 4

Here's the lighthouse with whatever minis were handy for scale : 2inch diameter by 12 inch height, roughly 10x60feet? I might do a plug out of foamcore for 2 different roof tops - one more fantas

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

There is no spiral seam on this. I was planning on just painting. Should be clear if this will work after sealing.

I saw a spiral seam in one of your pix. But looking back that must have been the one ply tube from the paper towel roll?

So disregard all that about hiding a seam.

 

7 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

Not sure what I'm supposed to find here.

A wealth of lighthouse details…?…but aside from that upper left corner illustration: an example of masonry indicated without detailing every block.

 

 

On 10/11/2020 at 1:07 PM, lexomatic said:

This will probably be it for a while until I cut some bricks.

You had mentioned doing masonry here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TGP said:

A wealth of lighthouse details…?…but aside from that upper left corner illustration: an example of masonry indicated without detailing every block.

 

Y'know, I saw the picture earlier today but it has since disappeared (for me, anyway).

 

I've been having that problem a lot on here lately.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First time using rotary tool not the most satisfactory. I spent more time re adjusting the collet. I also really like when manuals give zero info on how to use a tool safely, how to connect the bits, or what the various bits are used for.

Anyway, door and window are cut. I'm going to modgepodge stuff so it doesn't degrade further and worry about finding staples to do the next bit.

 

20201108_163021.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, strawhat said:

 

Y'know, I saw the picture earlier today but it has since disappeared (for me, anyway).

 

I've been having that problem a lot on here lately.

Thanks for explaining. I went and refound the image. 
 

D48ED882-6E81-4245-9960-22713F12C6EE.jpeg.4139bcb56336aee1f20e9b04121b3dfa.jpeg

Downloaded it then uploaded it. No dodgy link to Canada Park Service. 
 

Upper left. Partial bricking. Less is more. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished gluing stuff. 20201109_125457.thumb.jpg.55513a7716c8a5e3e28140bb03f31982.jpg

I Will go back down after a nap and modge seal the door, and add my acetate window. I already have some white paint down on the inside of the tube for whoever looks inside, but that doesn't need to be perfect. I can then seal the inside later tonight. Then I might modgpodge the ladder so I can prime the steps with the exterior tomorrow. I'll probably do something with the window to make it neater.

I'm okay with the alignment after all.20201109_125355.jpg.e9ce5d611b21372949039acb0da34d53.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

So base is painted and sealed and the lighthouse has a pickle wash of primer and modgepodge. I thought for a bit I was out of titanium white and got worried,  but I should be okay. No pics cuz things are drying. Planning out my next cuts and things for the turret/light part. I'm also looking for old base washers for weighing the bottom.my current setup is far heavier than what I planned. This should look half decent when I'm done.

Pic is from earlier but you can get an idea.

20201109_151943.jpg

Edited by lexomatic
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing you might want to consider is finding a heavier base for the lighthouse as well as the washers. Narrow and tall tends to end up relatively unstable on the table and get bashed up even more if/when it takes a fall.

 

Something like stonework built up around it a bit in order to both have a wider point for stability and to add more weight in order to add more protection from getting bumped.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are starting to get ridiculous. Should measure about 15.5 inches high when done.

* I filed the top of the tube... it's flatter but in some ways worse. With a plug it sits more level.

*I cut out the platform and sealed/ primed it yellow.

*Found a suitable washer to weight the base

*Painted the base brown.

*Painted another coat of white paint on the main part of the building.

Here's a tentative assembly.

20201110_222645.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...