I need some help if you live in or near Fort Worth, Texas.

I've got a pretty big favor to ask of someone. As I have mentioned previously, I will be relocating to Fort Worth with my company. I will be moving this coming January.

As we all know, paint and freezing temperatures don't mix well, so I'm concerned about putting them on a moving truck.

Basically, I am looking for someone that will let me ship my paint to them for baby sitting until I arrive in town to pick it up.

Not to scare anyone away, but I want to let you know what you're (potentially) getting into.

I have A LOT of paint; it's going to be heavy and it's going to take up a fair bit of space. 

I'm hoping to be shipping it fairly soon in an effort to avoid low temperatures along the way, so it's going to be in your way for 3-ish months.

If I haven't scared you off by this point, let me know. We can work out details via PM or text.

Thank you.

• Like 12
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Chaoswolf If you need you can ship it to Reaper and we can hold it for you? :) were only like 35 mins from fort worth. I'll put it in my office and wait for you to get here. 

You just want to rifle through his paint collection...

I've got a pretty big favor to ask of someone. As I have mentioned previously, I will be relocating to Fort Worth with my company. I will be moving this coming January. As we all know, paint and

I can only share a similar experience of moving in the middle of Canadian winter.

Since I had a four day 2500 km drive, I brought my paints with me. Trusting my car's heat to be enough, and bringing the paints inside every hotel I stayed in.

The only risk I had was during the 12 hour ferry ride, but I got lucky with above freezing temperature at that moment.

• Like 6

Sorry I can't help, since I live nowhere close to that. If it comes down to it, and you have to transport it yourself, do you think lining the box with thick XPS foam would help? I mean, how often do miniature hobbyists ever really use the stuff for its intended purpose? (Plus you then have it on hand for terrain/diorama...)

3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I can only share a similar experience of moving in the middle of Canadian winter.

Having heard stories about Canadian winter in some provinces, I often wonder how you all do it (I intensely dislike the cold). It just makes me imagine you all dressed as GoT wildlings when it's winter time.

In college, my Russian culture instructor told us stories about how cold it was when she went to study abroad somewhere around St. Petersburg (I think). In the mornings, she'd turn the oven on and leave the door open to try to warm up the tiny kitchen and get dressed in there. It sounded like misery to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Having heard stories about Canadian winter in some provinces, I often wonder how you all do it (I intensely dislike the cold). It just makes me imagine you all dressed as GoT wildlings when it's winter time.

We do it by moving in the spring or fall if we can. Moving in the winter is a last resort thing, typically. 

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

In college, my Russian culture instructor told us stories about how cold it was when she went to study abroad somewhere around St. Petersburg (I think). In the mornings, she'd turn the oven on and leave the door open to try to warm up the tiny kitchen and get dressed in there. It sounded like misery to me.

Can't speak for Russian buildings, but like anywhere else I imagine older buildings don't have anything resembling good insulation.

Our Canadian igloos on the other hand are surprisingly well insulated.

• Like 6

I moved the reptiles from CO to CA in winter; similar to paint, they don't do well frozen, and CO gets cold. We had them with us in the truck during the move and brought the travel-tanks into the hotels with us every night. Might be a last resort with paint, but it could be an option.

• Like 4

Was going to jokingly say I’d help but, ya know, Denver.

Then I remembered our 70F Jan and Feb a couple of years ago, so maybe that’s not much of a joke. Last year was pretty warm, so might be a frozen wasteland this year.

Edited by Pegazus
Helps to include what month.
  • Like 4

Since the company is asking us to move and covering the bill for a professional moving company, I'm not going to have that much (any) control of how stuff gets transported. If it goes on the the truck, it'll just be a couple more cardboard boxes among many. We're (probably) not driving down, so packing it into the car isn't really an option either.

• Sad 8
18 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Since the company is asking us to move and covering the bill for a professional moving company, I'm not going to have that much (any) control of how stuff gets transported. If it goes on the the truck, it'll just be a couple more cardboard boxes among many. We're (probably) not driving down, so packing it into the car isn't really an option either.

Anther thought, thermo-insulated packaging material maybe? Also ask the movers to bury the boxes with them in it in the truck to insulate?

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anther thought, thermo-insulated packaging material maybe? Also ask the movers to bury the boxes with them in it in the truck to insulate?

If you have to go this route, ask for extra shipping insurance [full replacement value] for the specified material.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Could you have it packed and ready to go, then FedEx it to yourself right before you leave? It might arrive at your new doorstep roughly the same time you do! A FedEx place may be able to hold for a few days for a fee if needed.

• Like 7