Sign in to follow this  
R2ED

All the things

Reaper Team,

I have been trying to formulate how to say this, but I think the best way is a simple "thank you." 

2020 has been quite the rocky ride.  There seems to be an endless tide of negativity and chaos in the world.  Starting in March with everyone being put in lock-down here in the US with the change of life and behaviors, created quite the shake-up.  Having to be relatively isolated with my family and working from home has created some very interesting challenges.  One of these challenges has been staying motivated and finding something to occupy my time.  Normally fishing would be my go to, but Southern Oregon has been rampaged by fires and most of the lakes here are depleted and outdoor activities are less fun with all the smoke we're still dealing with.  If not from our own fires, from the smoke blowing up from the South. 

What has been an amazing escape and means for me to keep my hands from being idle was rediscovering painting.  I came across some random YouTube videos of painters and remembered my love of doing it when I was in Jr High.  I decided to reinvest myself into it, I mean why not?  It's not like I was traveling for work or going anywhere, so may as well find something to do at home.  After a few duds and pieces that were what I considered to be warm-ups to getting back into it, I have found my love of painting again.  What's great about this hobby is I can still be engaging to the family, whereas if I were fishing I'd be miles and miles away and gone for hours at a time.  My love of the outdoors is only matched by my daughter, but it's nice to do things that the entire family can be involved in.  Painting has kept me happily hobbying in place and content to be inside.  

I stumbled across my first Reaper mini at a small games store nearby.  I recalled plastic minis being pretty bad in the past, but I was shocked to see how detailed these were and decided to give them a shot.  I ended up getting some of my best work on these Reapers and kept going back for more.  Only problem was I bought them out of their plastics.  I then went full George Jung from the movie Blow and was like, "Why not just go to the source?"  What I have found since then has been amazing.  This forum has bee an exciting way to engage other painters who are giving me new ideas, challenging me to stretch my comfort zone, and inspiring me to do more.  I find getting up and checking on my posts to see who's left feedback has been a great tool for me.  I see what others are doing and feel humbled, yet at the same time wanting to rise to that level.  This hobby has come back to me at full speed and having to be trapped inside, which normally drives me crazy, has brought a new sense of comfort.

Reaper has provided me an outlet that I am grateful for.  The team and other members here have given me something to feel positive about.  When I'm not stewing about having to work from home and deal with at-home schooling or the smoke or the fact most of the towns around burned or the non-stop negativity in the news or the...or the... you get the point.  Everything else feels so chaotic and there's no planning for a week ahead any more.  But there's still the fact I've got an awesome family (that supports my hobby craft) and something to look forward to doing when I feel that pressure building up - painting.  Just wanted to take some time out of the morning to thank you for the support this site provides, the great outlet your products give me, and the renewed sense of fun I have with a hobby I had long forgotten.  Keep up the great work, Reapers!  I appreciate it more than I can express in words.

• Like 18

I found this forum to be a little haven of joy.

People are friendly and we can talk about a lot of things here.

Happy you feel good to be here.

I'm painting for fun and display, others play games with them

Maybe you could play some games with your daughter with some minis?

Anyway, stick around and have fun!

• Like 3

The Reaper forums is one of my favorite places on the internet! My painting has only benefitted from spending time here and talking to the other painters here. Hope you stick around and share your projects and join in the conversations!

• Like 2