Sign in to follow this  
R2ED

3D printed mini painting?

I bought a set of Baby Yoda and The Mandolorian for a friend's gift I'm planning on painting.  Little did i realize 3D printing looks like lizard skin.  So... now i need to know how to smooth those lines or handle painting on it.  Anyone got experience with this? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R2ED said:

I bought a set of Baby Yoda and The Mandolorian for a friend's gift I'm planning on painting.  Little did i realize 3D printing looks like lizard skin.  So... now i need to know how to smooth those lines or handle painting on it.  Anyone got experience with this? 

Come over here!

All things 3D Printed are discussed in this subsection.

In your case, did you print it in resin or FDM?

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/forum/75-tips-and-advice-3-d-printing/

• Like 2

Most likely FDM if he's having trouble with lines, or a low quality resin.  Either way, they can be a challenge.  The upside is, if it's FDM then it's probably printed in PLA and acrylic paint sticks really well to pla.

For things without a lot of detail, high build primers and wet sanding will help to remove them, however that won't work for miniatures very easily. Your best bet here will be a brush on gloss varnish, applied carefully so as to fill the layer lines but not to fill detail.  You probably won't be able to completely hide them without destroying any detail that's left but a coat or two will help diminish them.

Once that's done, I'd recommend not using any painting technique that involves very thin paint.  Things like washes, glazes, and the like will be very difficult to control with the layer lines.  Layering (keep tight control on how much paint is in your brush) and careful drybrushing will be your best friends for this.

• Like 3

Alright, well, i happened to have a2x paint-primer i bought early on in April to do some painting, but hated using it on minis because it was sticky and hid details.  However, in the case of trying to prime this 3d print, it actually coats it enough to possibly make a final grey primer cover the lines.  We'll see...

• Like 3