Sign in to follow this  
R2ED

3 edged shape tool?

I saw a post i can't find for the life of me.  There was someone who posted about this exacto knife sized "shaping" or "scribe" tool that had a3-pointed side like a pyramid tip. They used it for cleaning minis and said it was awesome. I can't find either the tool or the post online and I'm getting desperate.  Can anyone tell me what that tool was? 

• Like 1

It's a Seam Scraper. It main purpose is to smooth out glue seams in models & such. You can find it on Micromark, if it's in stock of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Note: Micro-mark appears to have changed the design of the tool, as the old design (the one you remember) isn't listed on the site anymore & they've replaced it with a "knife-like" tool.

Old:

1181407-37164-16-pristine.jpg

New:

89334_R-2.jpg

Most likely due to they couldn't keep the other one in stock & probably just decided to replace it. Reminds me I need to get a seam scraper, thou I don't like the new design. Other model companies have their own versions thou.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, haldir said:

Note: Micro-mark appears to have changed the design of the tool, as the old design (the one you remember) isn't listed on the site anymore & they've replaced it with a "knife-like" tool.

Old:

1181407-37164-16-pristine.jpg

New:

89334_R-2.jpg

Most likely due to they couldn't keep the other one in stock & probably just decided to replace it. Reminds me I need to get a seam scraper, thou I don't like the new design. Other model companies have their own versions thou.

Yeah, I've found those etching-scrapers at stores.  I can't find that one that was spoken about and now I'm jealous because i can't find one for myself.  It looks to have been pretty well reviewed from those who used it so, yeah... i want one, too. The question is where the heh can i find one? 

6 hours ago, R2ED said:

Yeah, I've found those etching-scrapers at stores.  I can't find that one that was spoken about and now I'm jealous because i can't find one for myself.  It looks to have been pretty well reviewed from those who used it so, yeah... i want one, too. The question is where the heh can i find one? 

I sent you a PM with a link for a possible one to get, given we can't post links here to consumer sites.

I've got the old style tool from Micro-Mark.  It is definitely one of the more useful tools in my hobby arsenal.  Well worth the investment.

The Egg

• Like 1

You should be able to get a good quality scraper like that wooden-handled one from a printmakers' supplies vendor. Dick Blick carries a lot of that sort of stock. Search for engraving or mezzotint tools.

Note that although it will probably come reasonably sharp, you'll probably want to hone it some more. The little Eze-Lap diamond paddles will do the job well, and they're pretty cheap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably more designed for plastic, but GW do a mouldline remover, which seems to be their attempt at a seam scraper. It's not trinagular shaped and looks blunt, but may be worth checking out. I have a seam scraper, but can't remember where I got it. I very seldom use it, sticking to knife and files for 99% of cleaning.