Eternal Eight: True 3D mini war game experience

Looks interesting for the terrain, if not the miniatures. Two armies package includes two 20"x20" fortresses for less than $100.

There are a couple of things that give me pause, though. First time creator, and claims to be in Chicago but English is clearly not his first language. May not mean anything but makes me wonder.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crumb-group/eternal-eight

image.png.92c784bc90ceee8142cb0d0feec78b3d.png

"After over three years in the making, we are proud to present you the Eternal Eight - a WORLD'S FIRST 3D mini war game with innovative real 3D RELIEF. 

The goal of the game is to  capture the enemy’s King. The advantages of Eternal Eight are the 3D castles, fortresses and villages with a myriad of traps, labyrinths and  secret passages. All of the army bases (castles, villages, fortresses) are easy to assemble and move around.

The game can be easily incorporated into your existing game table setup or provide a great addon to some of your existing mini war games."

Edited by DocPiske

He's probably aiming to get enough orders to get some decent volume discounts. 

But attempting this as his first KS is just dumb. A lot of people have less disposable money right now, and will be much more critical about how they spend them. Others will stay away because he hasn't already proven himself with a smaller KS or two. 

And some will realise that the terrain is coloured cardboard, and will be hesitant to back it because of that.

There's 46 dice in a game kit. And they're custom dice. How many do they have to order to get a decent price on them?  

The terrain is printed on a massive A0 size inkjet printer. I wonder how that prizes itself compared to going with classical offset printing for 2000 or more copies?

• Thanks 1

This is the kind of project that (without my looking at it in depth or at all other than the above...which pretty much disqualifies me from having anything else than a superficial opinion) seems to be a few years late.

Simply put, this sort of thing might have been a smash hit in 2013-2014 maybe even 2015. But now the novelty of KS has worn off for many, the saturation of projects and general economy means that to succeed a project will need to be a cut above or really, really well thought out.
 Not sure if this is either.

• Like 2

Yeah, they really should have broken down the game into multiple KS to build up credibility and user base (rules feedback).

1. .stl files of terrain and miniatures, with PnP rules.

2. 3d-printed terrain and miniatures, with PnP rules.

3. 1.0 Rules and first four armies.

5. 1.5 Rules and next four armies.

Nowadays, renders give me the impression of incomplete product. Companies with a track record, I'm less critical of if they're using renders.

I don't exactly get what's 3D. They show a printer printing onto paper. But they mention .stl files in the comments.

Well, whatever. I have two other KS I've earmarked $250 for, so am in hurry to back something else.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.