Sign in to follow this  
mwhowell2001

Painting See Through Figs

I got a Mystic Portal figure recently.  I want to paint it to resemble this figure.  Anything special I need to do before I begin painting?  This is a first see through fig for me.

Any advice is welcome.

Portal.jpg

• Like 2

I've been painting that mini recently (shameless plug https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/92569-mystic-portal-44133/  ) and it paints up just like regular Bones material. However, it you want to keep the centre part clear, then I'd recommend giving those parts a coat of gloss varnish, which has the effect of toning down any dullness  and makes it seem more translucent.

• Like 4

For a translucent mini, or on the part of it that I want to leave clear, I start with a base coat of matte varnish to give the paint something to stick to, since I end up using a lot of inks and washes.  Even with that step, I find that the washes and inks need some medium or the like to be thick enough to adhere.

• Like 2

Thank you for the tips.  I'm glad I picked your brains before starting. 

Another newbie question.  Any suggestions on varnish?  Never bought the stuff before.

Edited by mwhowell2001
  • Like 1