Reveal bulbs

The Shine

I've been hearing lots about these Reveal bulbs. my understanding of them is that the mimic daylight or give better contrast to colors... When I take pictures with my camera I use regular tungsten bulbs. Normally this would cast an orange or yellowish tinge to my pics. BUT! I have the ability to adjust the white balance settings on my camera. There are two different ways for me to do this; I can choose one of the presets for tungsten, fluorescent or natural light settings, OR, I can do a manual white balance whereby I'm focusing my camera on a white piece of paper under the same lighting conditions I plan to shoot in and hit a button to adjust the balance of white under this kind of light.

So my question is this; Would the reveal bulbs make a marked difference in my pic color quality even using my setup?

I thought I would ask befor spending the money to test it myself, thank you for your help in advance.

if you want to see how my pics turn out you can see some on CMON, just follow my website link.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I take pictures with my camera I use regular tungsten bulbs. Normally this would cast an orange or yellowish tinge to my pics. BUT! I have the ability to adjust the white balance settings on my camera.

So my question is this; Would the reveal bulbs make a marked difference in my pic color quality even using my setup?

I thought I would ask befor spending the money to test it myself, thank you for your help in advance.

if you want to see how my pics turn out you can see some on CMON, just follow my website link.

In studio tests I've done for interior lighting setups Reveal bulbs were more difficult to correct than tungsten lights. Reveal bulbs do not produce full spectrum light but produce a color bias that people in general prefer. Using white balance settings (with white card readings) will correct for that bias. Using the Tungsten setting will probably be a very close match to the lights you use. I'd stick with the lights you have for imaging.

Most of the people I know who use Reveal bulbs have not seen them side by side with a good full spectrum light where the color bias is obvious. They are better than standard incandescent lights for painting but they aren't full spectrum daylight bulbs and have their own problems.

I tend to use a combination when taking pics. As my usual setup will have between 2 and 3 lights shining from different angles depending on the mini and the intended contrast. So, I will mix and match bulbs to get a little of both types of light.

But, in general, I leave the color correcting for Photoshop instead of the camera.

Mixed lighting like that from tungsten and flourescent is very difficult to correct. It drives the techs at service bureaus nuts. Color correction for one light type is rather simple. When using all tungsten or all Reveal bulbs the correction to daylight balance is easier whether in camera or in an image editing program like PS.

Thank you guys for those responces, they were exactly what I was looking for. I've decided not to use those bulbs for picture taking as they won't make my colors any better. But maybe I'll use them for painting instead. Thanks again!