• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Shows how nicely your talent has progressed over the years!

Different views and different audiences.  From an artistic standpoint and attention getting, the newer mini is hands down the winner.  From a perspective of what a green dragon would look like in real life, I think the second dragon is far truer to what you would see if you were the size of Sir forscale and walked up to a dragon in the swamp.  The most important thing that I have developed is the ability to adjust my skill to my audience and to see the difference.  Though, to be fair, I think that my overall skill has improved regardless of how I am painting! ::D:

This was the first test to see if I could move what I learned from @Mocha from painting Rockys (I have to put those up sometime, they are an real blast to paint!) to other dragons.  the next step is to try it on something else like the bones Roc or a griffon or something and see if I can get similar results there.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Love them both but the newer one is my favorite.

It's an awesome sculpt as well, I have a soft spot for Grenadier minis.

He is much more eye catching and it is so much easier to see her than the older dragon.  I do love the shading effects on the new one. 

I also love the old Grenadier miniatures and the dragons in particular.  I have almost all of the three dragon of the month cycles and I am working on painting them so I can show them to the world.  but I have a lot of Grenadier and Ral Partha miniatures in my collection, both painted and bare metal and they are fun to work with.  The artists in both companies knew the limits of their equipment at the time and pushed those limits to maximize detail and poses.

14 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Another fantastic paint job on a dragon that I've never seen before! I used to think that I had a lot of dragons until I started posting here ::P:

That green really pops out at you, I'll have to check out Mochas class.

The class is awesome.  you get to paint a Rocky from raw bones to finished product in under 3 hours with some really incredible contrast and flash.  She also does a really great job with showing how to do eyes and how to get them to actually look like eyes rather that black and white dots on a face ::D:.  I think her class and the one on painting hair were the ones I got the most out of during reapercon. (in 5 or 6 more reapercons maybe the one on NMM will stick and I will be able to master that technique too :blink:

I really recommend the class.  It gives you a new perspective on painting that you may not have tried before.  The basic idea is to go from your darkest shadows and to build up color to your final highlights, always working lighter rather than the usual method of starting in the middle and working both up and down.  for me the effect seems to be that I get a much richer color and can actually make a darker deeper tone than I would if I were working in both directions from the middle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love that you are painting these older Grenadier dragons - I remember yearning after them when they were in the store - 

I like both dragons - I think the bottom one will definitely benefit from a new base more in line with the newer one - I love the subtle green and blue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rickdraco
      I saw the Rocky miniatures, and with how cute they are I could not resist getting one to use as a dragon to send against my players. As such, here is my take on the Flying Rocky, as a juvenile Red Dragon!

Comments, criticisms and advice as ever more than welcome! 

• By R2ED
      I've really been going after these dioramas.  I'm seriously enjoying the change of pace going from the painting to the working of a landscape.  There's still so much I'm learning on color, scenery, and flock, but it's definitely coming along.

I thought the pebbles were kind of fun like some kind of jewels, but it didn't hit like I wanted, so I then went and added some GreenStuff jewels among them to give the impression it's mixed precious stones.  Either way, the point of little Rocky hoarding and scheming I think comes across fine. 

Where I may have gone a little overboard was the chipping of the stones.  I think leaving the pillars chipped would have been better and leaving the scaled walls untouched.  It's just hard because as I worked it, I just felt it was needing something else.

There's a local contest that I've been dropping my minis into and it's killing me because I'm getting beat every time by warhammer models.  I keep trying to bring in something different that will make others go, "Oh, that's different."  Even if I don't win, Isuppose that's not the point of me doing them.  The point is to keep trying and using this contest as a motivator to do more.  With most of the other models just being based on a 1 to 3" base, these big boys that I've been doing are sure to catch more eyes than the usual smaller ones I've submitted before.  

Here's to hoping it wins in August or Sept.
    • By Darcstaar
      I started this to be the BBEG for Dragon's Demand.
      I really enjoyed painting it.  This is my first full dragon miniature painted.
      I spent a lot of time on it, and I'm pleased with the outcome.
      I hope you like it.  This was my first time using Birch seed pod debris as leaves, and I think they look good.

Here is the link to the WIP:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/92764-darcstaar-vs-bones-i-ep-11-shadow-dragon/&tab=comments#comment-1965291

C&C welcome.

• By EvilJames
      So here they are. The Ogre Squad. You can see the WIP here.

I love how nonchalant and casual this guy looks.

especially when compared to this guy.

The oldest of my ogres. Metal and unfinished for years because I was just never happy with him. 

another angry ogre
      fond of the face(s) on this guy and also the pig. The rope on the barrel was a little frustrating though. It had a mold line right down its length and even though I wasn't doing much line cleaning for these guys that was both a hard one to fix and a hard one to ignore.

the bones black ogre has the best grumpy ogre face. He painted up nicely with very little clean up to ignore.

the other metal ogre Kagunk and his amazing shield. This guy sat just primed for a good long while as I just was never sure how to handle the shield face. The older chieften's club face was easier since it was always going to look like wood, but this I had to think about a bit. I think it works pretty well.

a few attempts at a group shot. Bigger minis are hard to keep all in focus at once.
      There it is then. There are a couple of details I see I still need to do and the metal chieftains need to be sealed. But otherwise that is it for this lot. I did by the other ettin in bones and I might order the other ogre leader and I think I have a bones half ogre around somewhere.  If I paint them I may update this with new squad members. We will see.
    • By ced1106
      I backed their previous Halfling Yeoman riding chickens 😁 so figured I'd give them a shoutout!

TAG - Gobudai, Riders of the Shimmering Horde.  28mm Old School Goblin Warg rider miniatures. Metal.

"Pledges at £85, and over will be upgraded to our, FREE WORLDWIDE shipping service."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chickstaterii/tag-gobudai-riders-of-the-shimmering-horde

• Who's Online   30 Members, 1 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)