Animated chains? How to advice....

So I need to make some animated chains by Saturday. Any ideas?

If I still have them ill use Reaper's chain pack, but I may have  gotten rid of them in metal for RCon purge one year.

I was thinking, get jewelry chains & then superglue it into form on wax paper, but I wanted to hear others first.

Thx!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they need to be individual strands, I would go with your plan.  If you need something more substantial (chain golem?) I'd wrap some around a piece of dowel or something similar and then have a couple strands coming off.  

There are also plenty of stls out there that you could pillage chains from though they would likely be straight. 

The floating crystals I printed off here are wrapped in chains.  If you were patient, you could remove the crystal and move the chains around to our liking. 

image.png.5b1d38d4dae1d4e48e95f0ecf89a2987.png

• Like 4

Depending on how long, you could use plastic jewelry chains and simply glue each link together.  That would work for shorter or supported chains.  For longer/bigger you could use a scaffold made of stiffer wire and either attach the chain with glue or thread wire through it at intervals, then glue.  Use curves in the chain to hide the wire itself.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, haldir said:

...was thinking, get jewelry chains & then superglue it into form on wax paper, but I wanted to hear others first.

I like that ^ plan pretty well. 

Another possibility is to hang Short sections of jewelry chains suspending them from two points. Coat the links between the hang points in superglue, (but avoid the suspension points!), allow to dry, and perhaps drip a little, (so something underneath to catch excess cyanoacrylate) and preserve that “catenary” arc. 

That might work if you need arcs going at different angles. You’d need to do each portion of arc in a separate hang, glue, dry/cure cycle. 

• Like 2

Would white glue work (aka more scenery glue then plain Elmer's glue)?

Well it appears I did get rid of the chain weapon pack by Reaper. I must have thought I'd never convert something to be using a chain weapon. So DiY it is!!!

4 hours ago, haldir said:

Would white glue work (aka more scenery glue then plain Elmer's glue)?

Well it appears I did get rid of the chain weapon pack by Reaper. I must have thought I'd never convert something to be using a chain weapon. So DiY it is!!!

White glue...could work.  It dries clear, so it sort of depends on the size of the chain links.  Too small and you get a knobby rope!  If you have extra chain material, you can experiment with it.  I like TGP's suggestion too.  Superglue could be used at attachments for drooping chains, or maybe soak the thing (superglue tends to pull away from openings).  I think superglue would be quite brittle in that function though.

• Like 1

Chains came out ok, they'll function as what I intended them to be. If I would have started em when I bought the chains (ie 3 days ago), I'm sure they would have been better looking.

I started with laying the chains on the wax paper & then just dipped a toothpick into some superglue & tapped areas on the chains. They weren't stiffing up as I liked so I put down a decent drop of superglue & then just dragged the chain through it & walked away. I came back & they were stiff enough to make upright attacking chain minis.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, haldir said:

Chains came out ok, they'll function as what I intended them to be. If I would have started em when I bought the chains (ie 3 days ago), I'm sure they would have been better looking.

I started with laying the chains on the wax paper & then just dipped a toothpick into some superglue & tapped areas on the chains. They weren't stiffing up as I liked so I put down a decent drop of superglue & then just dragged the chain through it & walked away. I came back & they were stiff enough to make upright attacking chain minis.

Pics?