Sign in to follow this  
Otyugh

Remy, the somewhat painted remorhaz, and his torturous misadventures towards his technicolored dream

Remy has been hibernating for a while now, ashamed to show his lame light blue hide (a misguided attempt is a paint job). Now that the weather is colder, Remy has ventured forth to embrace his dream of a better paint job!

20201025_144632.jpg

Yup, Remy and his buddy Grim in this pic.

Remy just got a wash of purple so he would not look like a pile of nauseatingly light blue excrement. White was being added to "heating surfaces".

... Remy still looks like scat, but dark blue instead of light blue.

• Like 6

Started painting the hot areas, but this is a fail. Idiot me forgot the coloration is reversed on hot objects, so it goes white, yellow, orange, red, purplish red, brownish red, black. Time to revisit the hot spots...

20201026_183819.jpg

Yes, that paint bottle in the background is an artefact from painting armies of orcs, gobbos, tyranids, etc. It is amazing that the paint is still useable!

• Like 4

Added red, and dry brushed light blue.

The 8 pairs of legs are truly horrifying. And they get in the way of painting. And the tend to bend as they like at the thinner points. And there were no instructions for the placing of the 8 pairs of legs. Oh, and did I mention, it is a total pain in the posterior to paint the figure 'cause of the stupid legs?

20201026_224539.jpg

• Like 7

Upgraded wurm 3.5. Changed out most reds to yellow.

There are not much in the way of pics of the old RP AD&D remorhaz, but the pictures that I found all of the creatures were a pastel icy blue (not to be harsh, but those paint jobs were not any better than my 1st attempt). So, at this point, I am pulling the color scheme outta muh seating stoma (aka making it up as I go along).

20201027_005222.jpg

Now the red is on top of the yellow, and it seems better... maybe.

20201027_214851.jpg

Remy kinda looks like some cosmic tripped out wurm at this point. There's still lots of work to go.

• Like 11

If it's of any help to you, I ended up going with light blue with yellow-orange accents on my Bones Frost Wyrm.  I found that some purple tones really helped transition that blue into the hot parts.  I tried to make it look like the heat was internal and the glow was changing the color of the skin/exoskeleton.
Photo under spoiler to not hijack your thread.

Spoiler

IMG_20200904_101459_146.thumb.jpg.802b283565eae1f67a294b231553fe3c.jpg

Frost Wyrm Show Off Thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@MoonglowMinis Thank you! That mini looked like it was a blast to paint (not so many #@mn€# annoying obstructive legs!). Is that the bones or metal mini?

Don't be shy about posting a pic of your mini in any wip thread I have started. Posting pics for inspiration is awesome, and might just be the swift kick in the assets that someone needs to continue pursuing a project, or to start/complete a long languishing mini. My paint jobs are usually on smaller less complex minis, so working on thus monstrosity is a major challenge.

Currently dry brushing again, and may monkey with the belly color again.

I must be a masochist, since the project is a major pain and I keep pressing on.

Remy does look rather garish in the previous pictures... looks like the antennae needs to be toned down. And that face. Gotta do more with that also.

• Like 2

I painted up the Bones version.  He was also a pain.  He sat based and primed on my desk for months.  I ended up going with a more painterly approach to him with lots of un-blended lines, but it really helped get over the obstacle of such an unnatural-colored creature, and such a big one at that.

I looked up a lot of different references and paintjobs before tackling him because it's definitely a strange concept to execute.  I agree with you about some of the light-blue schemes looking off, so i kind of de-saturated my blues with black or white respectively.

• Like 2

Not much online when I search for pics of the 1990's Ral Partha mini...

Below are most of the pics that I found. There are also two painted Ral Partha remorhazes on this forum, and both are light blue.

s-l400.jpg

remorhaz-figure-ral-partha_1_af5cf87e75d3230b79a3c9200565956f.jpg

images.jpeg

There are some nice non-standard paint jobs on non-Ral Partha versions that look really cool even though they look more like sea, fire, or angry bone worms. (now I want more minis)

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Otyugh said:

(now I want more minis)

The endless struggle.

I look forward to seeing this guy come along!  If you're struggling with any other color choices, I recommend throwing in some neutral colors to cut back on the primary color overload of the Red, Blue, Yellow.

• Like 1

Don't worry about the playdough look. More layers of paints and washes will remedy that. Remy will be the pinnacle of colorful odd in the midst of muted light blues.

• Like 4

Did more research (looked at pictures & videos of glowing metal) than painting, and now my inspiration leans more towards diy forges, smithing, and casting. I abhor (not) that massive rabbit hole called YouTube.

But, there was some progress on Remy. Brushes were abused, and a medium light blue bit of highlighting occurred on the top

20201029_070624.jpg

as well as some warm colours on the belly.

20201029_070547.jpg

Toned down the face by washing, dry brushing, and smudging various colours on the offensive appendages.

20201029_070159.jpg

• Like 9

Having a problem with the second leg from the front. The third joint is too thin, and seems to be failing. Applied a drop of epoxy to stabilize it until the painting is completed.

Trying to decide which is the better option.

Pinning. Pro - a really sturdy joint. Cons - a real pain to execute seamlessly on such a part, lots of frustration and nsfw language, and the possibility of a 15 legged Remy.

Soldering. Pro - A stiff joint. Easier than a pinning. Cons - may create a really lumpy joint, probably would take a while to reshape the joint, might still need to pin it anyhow.

Epoxying - Pros - could be the quickest and easiest fix, could be used to prevent issues with other legs in the future, and would give Remy that "I've just crawled outta the ice" look. Cons - Finding an epoxy that will not yellow over time, applying the epoxy to the mini so it seems like run off water or like bits of ice, the amount of time and headaches, epoxy will eventually fail (but that will be after I will not have to worry about having headaches much less a head, so I don't care!).

Guess I'll just paint on, and repair that leg when the rest of Remy is complete.

• Like 3