Sign in to follow this  
Otyugh

Remy, the somewhat painted remorhaz, and his torturous misadventures towards his technicolored dream

@MoonglowMinis
Thank you. You just made me think about the inside of the mouth. Maybe it should be the hottest of colours, and the miniscule teeth should be dark like the cooler colors. My poor 00000 brushes are fleeing!

• Like 3

I wonder if this thread is more like a blog, or watching an auto accident happen in slow motion.

... Somehow, I think it is more like the neighborhood has come out to watch me hang out my skivvies to dry in my front yard! I hope no one is cringing too much, but laughing too hard is ok.

• Haha 3

Infernal leg!

20201030_014547.jpg

Looks like the choice of how to deal with Remy's leg is being forced.

Remy is not too happy about having surgery, but pinning is the only option at this point.

Curses upon choosing a cool looking leg design over a stable, less attractive leg design.

... Or I could just leave Remy as a 15 1/2 legged remorhaz.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Otyugh said:

... Or I could just leave Remy as a 15 1/2 legged remorhaz.

Could be cool to have him as an old, battle-scarred veteran. He hates him some adventurers, and is eternally in search of the one who took his leg! Argh!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Buggars, it looks like I am gonna hafta abuse muh chainmaille pliers & nips to get this leg reassembled.

I guess that I will take a very thin sewing pin, reshape and clip it to size, then cut a channel in the leg pieces, assemble, and epoxy. Will follow up with reshaping as necessary.

I will take pics of the proceedings, but no video or audio (spicy adult language will get me permabanned). Will post the pics when the surgery is completed (successfully or not).

• Like 4

At least for the thin leg part of the pin, try holding the pin in a pliers and heating it up (over a candle, or a burner if you have a gas stove), then just pushing the hot pin into the leg. It'll make its own hole, then seal itself in when it cools, so you don't have to try and drill such a tiny piece.

Edited by Painting Dog
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30704534.jpg

The suggestion by @Painting Dog of heating a pin and having the hot pin do the work for me made me curious.

Thinking about hammering or roughing up (by file) the pin, to reduce the chances of it coming undone or rotating, before heating and inserting. Also considering removing the whole leg an preheating it to ease the pinning.

Since this is the first time that I will use this method, I'll do experiments on my pewter scrap heap.

A little bit of materials research before experimenting makes me think a candle flame is fine for heating up the pin, but pulling the torch out of the welding supplies is more fun.

Research/notes to self:

Melting point of pewter 170–230 °C or 338–446 °F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melting point of lead 327.46 °C or621.43 °F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Melting point of steel starting at 1371°C or 2500°F

○○○○○○○○○○

Bic lighters max temp: 1,977° or 3,590.6° F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAP Torch: 2054°C or 3730°F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Propane Torch: 1995° C or 3623°F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Candle flame: 1400°C of 2552°F

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Spent more time surfing YouTube @ x2 speed watching repair and pinning videos (plus some virtual tours of Reaper), and my take a ways were:

1) Pinning is for new figures, plastic figures and wings

2) I need to make some painting fixtures do my figures

3) I want to paint that figure, and that one too...

4) Plethora of videos on pinning plastic figures

5) Repairs are mostly for re-attaching wings, fixing bent weapons, touching up chipped paint and pinning minis back onto the base.

The videos were ok to great, but i could not find one covering pinning really thin delicate parts. It was disappointing, but there was a lot to learn from YouTube videos, and some really cool videos of lucky people touring Reaper.

Edited by Otyugh
  • Like 4

Is this a metal version?  The melt through technique probably won't work......

I'd be tempted to put some sort of weapon strapped to the  stump on there, as much to confuse the players ("Who put that there?...How did they manage to get it on there?....Is this someone's "pet"?....Who has a pet Remorhaz???....I make a spot check!") as it would be easier than pinning the leg.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The possibilities of mods are infinite and interesting, but this time it is pinning surgery.

We are having great weather up here, so pinning procrastination is the rule of the day.

Been queuing up a bunch of pinning and repair projects... It will be a brutal day.

20201106_192957.jpg

• Like 5

A little bit of some of the collection in that picture. Most of them had super glue failures, and some gluing/pinning virgins.

Minis, other than Remy:

Reaper - Heritage mold Gold Dragon in 3 pieces

Games Workshop - 8528D Lord of Change Greater Deamon Tzeentch, a currently in id'd Chaos Lord, a Pepto pink tyranid warrior with bonesword and lash whip, and a Britonnian 8599W Repanse De Lyonesse.

Wiz Kids - WKZ544 Limited Edition Ki Devil

Chainmail Owl Bear

Grenadier 51020 Giantess by Bob Naismith

painting wip reaper bones & a retouched cavern worm RMI 08521

Edited by Otyugh
updated mini ID in the triage unit
  • Like 4

@Jasper_the_2nd
Yup, it is metal. It would be difficult to use a heated pin, and I would have to have a small oven to pre-heat them puppies up to around 300°F and super heat the pin and pliers... too much work, plus that would push me towards a hobby in diy mini casting.

I got more than enough to do just with painting and gaming with what I got, though that does not keep me from wanting just a few more minis...

• Like 4

Procrastinated this weekend, since it is most likely some of the last warm sunny days we will be getting up here before the winter season. The weather will turn later this week, so I should get more work done.

Did pin and epoxy 3 of the characters in the triage area.  Only got 5 to go.

• Like 4

Giantess is pinned & epoxyed.

Got a brilliant idea, and pinned and epoxyed my car's key fob that a snowblower ripped off the metal key part. It was tricky, bit the pinning surgery was successful! Used the key to start the car and it did not come apart or move in any weird way.

Now that I am on a roll with the repairs, time to conquer the four arms of the pepto-pink tyranid.

Edited by Otyugh
  • Like 3