Sign in to follow this  
OneBoot

Primer for porcelain figures?

I received a commission to paint some lovely porcelain Santa figures by a friend of mine, and I'm not sure what primer to use, or whether I need to use primer at all.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is a spray primer likely to cause damage? I'd use brush-on, but given that each figure is 10 inches tall, that's a bit more hand-priming than I want to do!

Here's one of them as an example (there are 7 in total):

20201028_224238.thumb.jpg.fefce5bc76e4ccab71d683d170993fe7.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

That appears to be unglazed porcelain, which tends to be really porous.  It *drinks* paint.  If you're painting multiples of this then I'd buy some Delta Ceramcoat craft paint for block painting the big areas.  At a minimum a dark red, a dark green, and a titanium white to go under anywhere that you're going to use Reaper paints to pick out details.  You'll also want some bigger brushes because that robe will take forever otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oldest Vixen stipples procelain.

She uses special paint meant for porcelain after painting she bales the item in the oven to fix the paint.

No primer needed then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, nobody has experience actually using primers on porcelain? 

All the advice I'm finding online is for porcelain house fixtures (bathtubs and toilets and ceramic floor tiles, etc.), which all need a special kind of paint and/or baking.

I certainly don't plan on sticking these keepsakes into any kind of oven (especially since several show signs of having been repaired with an unknown brownish glue). 

The more research I do, the more I see recommendations for enamel paints. However, I don't need them to be dishwasher safe lol. 

Maybe this project is too much for me after all, if it will necessitate buying different paints and equipment for it.. .. :unsure:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 1

I did some poking around.  The material you've got is porcelain, but is normally referred to as "ceramic bisque".  YouTube has some videos.  Blogosphere style miniature painting articles are nonexistent, possibly because the google algorithm hates me, possibly because it really seems to be a granny thing (y'know, like fostering kittens).  There appears to be something called "Bisque Primer" that brushes on.  It seems to cost about the same as a rattle can.  After that the techniques look pretty similar to what you're used to, but with bigger brushes because most little old ladies are not stanky Canadian goblins that use a size 0 brush for everything (presumably because that's as high as goblins can count).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kitchen_wolf said:

…but with bigger brushes…

Find something 10x as big as a Size 0 and you will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@OneBoot

Based on this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/spinningpots.com/the-benefits-of-painting-ceramic-bisque-with-acrylics/amp/

I think you could prime them with any of these:

1) tube acrylic

2) whatever brand of 8 oz bottle craft paint you can find

3) a sampler jar of white base paint from The Home Depot

And then proceed with your usual Reaper paints. But just save the size zero for fiddly freehand! and think of these as terrain. Monumental size statues compared to Sir Forscale. 

I am an idiot. 

White Gesso! Like they use to prime canvas. 

It is inexpensive. It works on anything. Use a Big Bob Ross 1 Inch brush and slather it on. Do two coats if it soaks into the Bisque. That’s why gesso is cheap. 

You got this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this