Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Painting weekends are the best. I'm trying to maximize as much as I can before fishing takes over my life and every free moment of the weekends. Although, I can't complain about wanting to get outside after being trapped inside for the last 6 months.
These little fellas got done over a 2 month period. I primed them, then let them sit. Then started a litte, didn't like what I did, then put them back down for another month. Decided to spice it up and go for broke and just lay paint down on whatever came to mind. Glad I did as it pushed me to do something different.
* I ended up doing an Army Primer Plate Mail color - even though I put this in as a win, it did have a few complications. The AP primer seems to make them tacky. The longer it sits the more tacky it gets. However, the win here is that it saved me a lot of time covering all the plate mail.
* Got to test out what inks and paints do over AP primer in metal color. I'm not sure the paint properties were all that great, but I definitely learned a lot in the process.
* The red on the broadsword knight was a test of shading and layering. Not my best work, but it gets the idea across.
* I liked the brighter "knightly" colors used in Orange and red.
* The checkering on the red/black knight was my favorite. A real test of patience in laying the lines down and then filling in. VERY CAREFULLY.
* The Orange checker was less consistent, but good to test across a wider stretch to see if I could. It worked, Iiked the result, but still more to improve upon next time.
* I really enjoyed practicing black lining with these two and trying to keep a steady hand separating the plates due to the primer just coating the whole thing one color.
* Black ink does NOT coat well on AP primer. It takes two good coats and ends up with this slight, for lack of a better way of describing it "crackling" appearance in the ink. It's like it has a hard time bonding and drying evenly. Learned not to do this again.
* I also learned that doing a checker pattern is easier with a dark undercoat and you don't notice mistakes as much. The orange/black combo really stands out where there's a slight line out of place.
* Silver/Gunmetal are still super difficult for me to do and finding a way to make them pop is challenging. Any advice here is appreciated. Just something to make the weapons and armor stand out.
Here they are!
I had some fun putting together some Stormcloak and Imperial proxies. The official minis that are being produced for the Elder Scrolls look really cool but aren't in the scale I use.
The Stormcloaks are fireforge Russian infantry heads and usually Frostgrave barbarian arms and bodies. The legionaries are fireforge Russian bodies with victrix roman heads (apart from the archer whose head is from the Oathmark humans sprue).
There is also a victim of theft entirely made from the Fireforge peasants sprue.
I'd got some of the Warlord imperial roman legionnaires free with a magazine. They are tiny for 28mm, with minis like the Oathmark dwarves towering over them. I've used the minis for spare parts but took an Oathmark goblin wolf rider head to make this heavy hobgoblin or goblin infantryman.
The kit was a 'roman veterans' one with heavier armour and more battered shields than the more prevalent getup of a roman legionnaire.
The paint job took about 30 mins ex drying times. A dark grey primer, drybrush of metal parts with Scale 75 black metal, skin with Scale 75 sandalwood, Vallejo dark red or chocolate brown details, then an all over Vallejo black wash. Think I will make more of these.
Who's Online 10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)