Marble effects?

Durham

So how do I paint something with a marble effect? I have a sepulcher or sarcophagus, primed light grey, and I want to paint it like it was made from marble. Any ideas or tricks? Colors? Anything? Bueller?

If it helps, its the one from the Horror subset of the Bones 4 Kickstarter.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reaper has a "Sparkling Snow" limited edition (09689) that's got a pearlescent sheen to it.  It's not overdone, but it's noticeable.  That might help with the "sparkle" that marble sometimes (always?--I don't know, I've not seen enough marble to know) has.

• Like 1

White metallic, then draw one or two dark grey "major" cracks. Draw more cracks in less dark gray, making sure they end at a crack. Use an image for reference. This one's pretty clear. : 

TL90887-l.jpg

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 4

Here's what I did for a fountain: 

DSCN8181.thumb.JPG.54c84b215d1e7b65b15845a138f50316.JPG

Base color,
A great many spidery veins in a couple of similar colors (I used blue-green and pale grey)

Make sure that more of the veins are roughly parallel than roughly perpendicular.
and then a thin glaze or two of your base color in a paler version if possible.

• Like 9

^^ geologist approved marble.

Get good with a set of similar colors to do thinned spidery lines with. A few colors to break up consistency. Can reglaze the base color to tie it together.

Stones like to crack in 60/120 sets of angles, but are rarely perfect - just fyi ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1